How Many Separate pieces of Gear do you own?

How many seperate peices of gear do you own?

• Less than 10

Votes: 81 13.9%
  • 10-19 Average

Votes: 174 29.9%
  • 20-49 Hey!, I'm a collector !

Votes: 222 38.2%
  • 50-99 Yes, I buy everything I see.

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • 100+ I lost count! I need a Psychiatrist!

Votes: 61 10.5%

• Total voters
I never thought of myself as a collector I just never got rid of anything over the years. I never consciously thought, "Okay I'm gonna acquire gear now." Recently I got interested in repair as a hobby that might either pay a few bucks or land some nice pieces I never would otherwise come across. I took inventory and was shocked to count 42 pieces and 8 pair of speakers acquired over 30 yrs.(all mid to low end stuff). My family thinks it's nutty to have all that equipment but as far as I'm concerned I'm just getting warmed up. I landed a nice 9/10 Pioneer SX 1080 for $400 2 yrs. ago and now I'm hooked on big receivers and I'm gonna have 'em all! First I'm going after the "monsters" and then I'll work my way down the watt ladder. My favourite is a 10/10 Pioneer SX 680 in original box w manual. These days I cruise the net and thrift stores for gear like a shark does the next meal. (I am retired) Collecter? Naaahh just a fan:)

Last edited:
A quick check in my excel spreadsheet shows 657 units.

1001%2520Hi%2520Fi%2520listening%2520space.jpg

Nice VAULT

Last edited:
"...I blame society. Society made me what I am ... That's bullshit. You're a white suburban punk just like me..." It all started when I thought of that 70s college dorm system we had so much fun with. Well, I got into AK and these addicts, er, experts helped me get back the pieces that I had and helped me fix them. Then, I was just going to get a few more systems like others had in the dorm. Now, there is a stereo stack in every room in every house and other people's homes. I just can't stop hunting down and fixing this vintage gear. To be honest, I turn down some working equipment because there is no challenge to bring life back into this "junk" (also, karma says leave those for people not acquainted with the proper end of the soldering iron to grab). In my simulated dorm room there are two full systems with 2 turntables, 2 R2Rs, 2 cassette decks, 2 8 track decks, 2 CD players, 2 sets of "cans", 4 pairs of speakers and test equipment including a set of "sacrificial" pieces of each type to check out new "dumpster queens". All in a 9' x 12' room. The 20' x 24' lab room is equally stuffed full of vintage. I must admit that a lot of pieces are organ donors had for free or a few bucks. I haven't lost count, but 100+ is a low number. A spreadsheet is too cumbersome - a database handles the information better. All my doctors know about my hobby and I haven't been committed, yet. It's all about the quality music.

Lets see...
1 Denon receiver
1 Sony receiver
1 Kenwood Integrated amp
1 Kenwood tuner
1 Dual turntable
1 Pro-Ject turntable
2 pairs JBL speakers
1 pair Dynaco speakers
1 pair Sansui speakers
1 Sony CDR deck
1 Sony CD player
1 Technics CD player
1 Pioneer 3-head cassette deck
1 Grace F8L phono cartridge
1 Shure V15III phono cartridge
1 Stanton 780Q phono cartridge
3 Ortofon phono cartridges: LM15, OM20e, OM5e
1 Pickering XV15-750E phono cartridge
1 Shure Me95ED
1 AT11e phono cartridge
and about 25 other cartridges awaiting a styus - many of which I will likely never use so I am planning to sell or give away many of them.
1 Technics system timer

I'd suspect the categorization would be more interesting if broken out by component. One fairly conventional 7.1 home-theatre setup could get you into the next "bracket" easily.

I suppose I have about 14 pieces, but six of them are different recievers.

My current setup, you can see by clicking on my signature. Pkus, bunch of other gear boxed up safe and sound.

Before the purge of 2011, I easily had close to 200 pieces, I think I have about 100 left, see "my list" in my sig.

Last edited:
My wife says TOO MUCH but I have these and always on the lookout for more:

Receivers: 2
Integrated Amps: 1
Speakers: 6 pairs
Tape Decks: 1
Turntables: 2
CD players: 3
CDR decks: 1
DVD players: 2
DVDR Decks: 1
Phono cartridges: 2 dozen
SVHS Decks: 1
BLUE-Ray Players: 2
Seperate Phono preamps: 1
Mixers: 1 (Behringer)
Microphones: 3 (1 good Pioneer, 1 good EV + 1 cheap Sony)
Dolby Processor: 1 TEAC AN60 (Dolby B)
Plus 3 shortwave radios and several AM-FM radios
A Pioneer separate tonearm ready to be mounted.
Various bluetooth speakers

450 - 500 LPs
300 Compact cassettes
120 CDs

Wow! I didn’t realize I had so much until I was counting it in my head for this poll! It really sneaks up on you! I think I’m at about 23!

Let's just say that I have to much, and I know it. Good gear at a good price is very hard to pass up, I should know. At some point soon when I semi-retire most of it will be restored and sold to supplement my income. I hope to enjoy my later years doing what I like and choose to do, buying, restoring, and selling gear. I have always loved music and this hobby, the excess gear is just nice to have for various reasons. Most important to me, is the time I have to enjoy the music!

I didn't count all the microphones, standards, mixers mic cables, headphones, monitor amps and speakers or the remote speakers, totally for got about them. I guess I need to up date my inventory for insurance purposes...

Do speakers count as one piece or two? Doesn't matter, I don't have enough. Ask me tomorrow, hopefully the count will have increased.

Current total = 54 - I was not really trying to be a collector but a 7.1 system and 2.1 system using separate amps and pre-amps adds up fast.

Yeah.. over 100 less than 200, somewhere in between, about 20 sets of Cerwin Vega Speakers alone... Inventory would take a bit lol, its a fluid situation buying and selling

Back
Top Bottom