How to Re-Dope Snell Tonegen/Foster Tweeters (Model E, J, K; gens. I & II)

After significant high frequency loss, I performed this operation on a pair of NHT 1.3A's. The older NHT tweeters are essentially the same as the Snells and are made by Tonegen. Johnny Law's instructions are excellent and he warns to be CAREFUL removing the dome in step one. By far, the trickiest step is lifting the dome backing plate from the magnet. The adhesive is pretty tenacious. You have lift very evenly and only lift around the perimeter of the backing plate. Take your time and use baby steps when lifting the backing plate. If using a knife, you can very easily put a dent in the voice coil when the adhesive lets go (which of course I did). Luckily, the tiny dent in the voice coil was correctable at unknown affect. Overall result of the re-dope was certainly a huge improvement.

BTW, didn't have to submerge the whole assembly. Maybe took a little longer, but just rubbing the surface with a Qtip dipped in MS was enough to clean them up fine (95%), like someone else suggested. Just leaving a little of the old material around the edges. Thanks for the tips. Still haven't gotten around to reapplying a doping agent. Hesitating over using the simple solutions and hoping some other ideas will pop up for it to be more like the original.

I'm having a problem getting my tweeters out, they are seriously glued in, afraid of damaging the cabinet, did anyone have this problem? Snell J lls.

Last edited:
I'm having a problem getting my tweeters out, they are seriously glued in, afraid of damaging the cabinet, did anyone have this problem? Snell J lls.

I may have had to trickle some isopropyl alcohol into the gap between the tweeter and the cabinet (so it could wick down to the adhesive and soften it up) ... but I can't remember.

Another way to do it may be to remove the woofer, reach into the cabinet, and push gently from the back.

Thanks, I tried pushing the back, with the woofer out, no joy and I pushed very hard. I put some silicone grease (food grade) on the tweeters last week and they sound and look much better today. I will try the alcohol sometime soon. I also bought a pair of Morel MDT-29 tweeters to try also. Thanks for your fast reply!

Thanks, I tried pushing the back, with the woofer out, no joy and I pushed very hard. I put some silicone grease (food grade) on the tweeters last week and they sound and look much better today. I will try the alcohol sometime soon. I also bought a pair of Morel MDT-29 tweeters to try also. Thanks for your fast reply!
A method I've used a number of times is finding a few larger screws that just barely fit the holes. Get them started into the metal of the tweeter (woofer, etc), maybe half a turn to one full turn (but not into the frame of the speaker). Then use pliers to pull on the screw head. Doesn't have to be a screw either. Saw pics of one professional who commonly uses a hanging hook with a threaded end, like one you might use to hang a bicycle by it's tires. The large hook end gives a good hand hold to pull with.

PS. Don't be tempted to use both hands on the pliers and yank. End up ripping out wires that way. One hand on the pliers (hook, etc) and one in front of the tweeter and speaker to keep it from coming flying out.

Last edited:
Just got done doing this...Thanks for the tips! Not too hard to do. Not earth shattering but definite improvement in the highs...airiness around vocals etc...got some poor mans Audio Note speakers now! Snell J/IIs..... Very pleasant speakers....I will still possibly get some Audio Notes if the right deal comes my way as they are truly amazing but for now I can be happy with these....

After a week or so I have to say that this didnt work out well for me.....after the shellac really dried the highs are now actually worse...I probably put too much on etc...So...I contacted Atomic Hifi and bought two new replacement tweeters that come with capacitors and resistor to bring the crossover in spec with the new tweets...only $210...good deal it seems. I will report back when I receive them and install the new parts....

Got the replacement tweeters and resistor and caps...pics attached.
Installed....only issue was that the replacement tweeters magnet is too wide for hole so had to file the hole wider (atomic hifi warned me about this)... I asked what was the tweeters they sent me...they answered that they are specially made for them etc....I suspect that is bs...you'd think they would fit if that were the case....still the final result is very good. Sound great!!!

Attachments

• 20210331_103922.jpg
    20210331_103922.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210331_104905.jpg
    20210331_104905.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 68
In doing this project I couldn't find any real picture guides so I thought I'd make one. My intention is to show how easy this is to do - if you have Snell speakers with cracked tweeter doping, don't worry! It's very easy to fix as I'll explain. Now, I haven't taken measurements and I'm not sure the Shellac is the best doping agent to use, but it's cheap, widely available, and easy to apply. Plus, they certainly sound way way better than they did before!

Context: Certain first and second gen Snell speakers (I believe the E, J, and K) use Tonegen/Foster tweeters with a doped cloth dome material.
Excellent write up and documentation Ryan! Should be made into a sticky!
Problem: The doping material gets old and hardens / cracks / loses its original integrity over time, causing the tweeter to lose a degree of fidelity (possibly because of stiffening or softening, possibly because air gets through the cracks, maybe something else or a combination).

Solution: Clean the old doping material off of the dome and re-dope with a new doping agent.

Materials / Tools Needed:
  1. Soldering gun & solder to remove and re-install tweeter into speaker
  2. Mineral Spirits
  3. Toothbrush
  4. New doping agent (I used Shellac)
  5. Doping agent applicator (I used a small foam brush)
Here is one of the E/II Tonegen tweeters I was working with:

View attachment 1803976

Procedure:

1: Remove tweeter from speaker (3 screws and a sealing material), and CAREFULLY remove dome from magnet (4 screws and a steady hand - there is some adhesive holding the cone flange to the plastic so be careful!).

Here's what mine looked like:

View attachment 1565415

2: Submerge dome into mineral spirits, then brush LIGHTLY with a toothbrush heavy with mineral spirits to remove old doping material. (NOTE: I tried denatured alcohol and ammonia without any success - but mineral spirits worked about instantly!)

View attachment 1565416

Now your domes should look like this:

View attachment 1565417

3. Mount your domes in a good flat spot for application (I used helping hands), and apply your doping agent. I used shellac in 3 coats allowing it to dry completely between coats. (NOTE: It may not look 100% even after it has dried. Mine looked uneven and not entirely smooth but proved to be functional.)

View attachment 1565418

4. Re-assemble, re-install, and enjoy! The Shellac doping agent really brought the E/IIs to life compared to the muddy, weak treble they were outputting before. I've read that you can also use a vinyl plasticizer, diluted glue, or other things. I leave it to you to figure out which you'd like to use.

Hope this is helpful,
Ryan

Some references I looked at first include:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/snell-type-j-ii-wheres-the-treble.305340/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/re-doping-a-silk-dome-tweeter.588100/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/whats-this-on-my-tweeter-snell-type-j-ii.588849/
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ng-audax-dome-tweeters-w-measurements.559836/
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-wrong-with-these-kefs.440138/

Thank you for this encouraging how-to!

Re-doped my Tonegan tweeters for my pair of J2 today and I'm very satisfied. Mine did not have ferrofluid and I chose water based acrylic varnish, brushed on 3 thin layers. Does a lot better in the TestHiFi app and sounds amazing (with my Audio Innovation 500 & Lenco) for the first time since I got them. I would not have had the courage without this help. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 20
For soft domes, butyl is hard to beat. But it has to be very thin. For years I’ve used clear butyl thinned down to 95% thinner, 5% butyl. Thinner is 50% naphtha and 50% Stoddard Solvent. Small artists paint brush to apply.

Back
Top Bottom