How to think through cartridge options (Technics SL-1401)

moretacos

I'm picking up a Technics SL-1401 as my first serious TT, and I'm trying to research cartridge options and feeling overwhelmed. There are several threads on this and other forums discussing cartridge options for this table, but it's essentially a couple dozen people each suggesting a different cartridge as the obviously best choice (probably whatever cartridge they happen to use).

How does one sort through all this to find objective information that will help me figure out which option will be the best sound for the buck? Are there any good online resources for understanding the pros/cons of different cartridges, and if any might be better/worse for my particular TT?

I'd potentially be willing to spend up to $200, maaaaaybe $250 if it's really worth it. But I'm wary of diminishing returns, and I would be happy spending <$100 if I could get 90-95% of the sound quality.

I'm playing through a HK3490 amp and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers; or through my Hifiman HE400S headphones w/ Schiit Magni 2 amp (still using the HK3490 phono stage).

Currently using an old Toshiba SR-A100 with SLT88E cartridge. Sounds pretty solid to me, but what do I know.

My listening trends towards roots - folk, bluegrass, classic country (Buck Owens, Waylon, Merle, etc), as well as classic rock and jazz.

I'd potentially be willing to spend up to $200, maaaaaybe $250 if it's really worth it. But I'm wary of diminishing returns, and I would be happy spending <$100 if I could get 90-95% of the sound quality.

My listening trends towards roots - folk, bluegrass, classic country (Buck Owens, Waylon, Merle, etc), as well as classic rock and jazz.

One of the best bargain in this price range is the Audio Technica AT 440 MLb. :music:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...UTF8&qid=1500229186&sr=8-1&keywords=at+440mlb

The age and condition of your records and the effective mass of your tonearm are important considerations in what cartridge/stylus is compatible and which would provide the resolution to bring the best from the records you usually listen to.

The age and condition of your records and the effective mass of your tonearm are important considerations in what cartridge/stylus is compatible and which would provide the resolution to bring the best from the records you usually listen to.

According to the Sl-1401 manual:
  • Effective mass: 22 g (with 6 g cartridge weight, 1.75 g stylus pressure)
  • Stylus pressure range: 0-3 g
  • Applicable cartridge weight range: 5-11 g
  • Headshell weight: 9.5 g
The condition of my records is...varied. I've been buying mostly used records from the 60s-80s and I'd say condition is mostly VG, with some VG+, and some G+ (though I will plan to upgrade these to at least VG as I find them). I clean everything w/ a Spin Clean, and brush before playing each side. But given that my tastes trend to older stuff, the records are generally in decent but not pristine condition.

Thanks all for the suggestions - much appreciated. I'd still love any thoughts that anyone has on my original question:

How does one sort through all this to find objective information that will help me figure out which option will be the best sound for the buck? Are there any good online resources for understanding the pros/cons of different cartridges, and if any might be better/worse for my particular TT?

Help me help myself! :beerchug:

And as a sub-question: are there other Technics models that are similar enough to the SL-1401 so that any advice on cartridges for those tables would be equally applicable to the 1401?

Last edited:
I'm picking up a Technics SL-1401 as my first serious TT, and I'm trying to research cartridge options and feeling overwhelmed. There are several threads on this and other forums discussing cartridge options for this table, but it's essentially a couple dozen people each suggesting a different cartridge as the obviously best choice (probably whatever cartridge they happen to use).

that's a fair assessment

:idea:.... www.audiokarma.org

https://www.shure.com/americas/products/phono/m97xe-audiophile-phono-cartridge

Currently using an old Toshiba SR-A100 with SLT88E cartridge. Sounds pretty solid to me, but what do I know.

you are in possession of the most useful piece of information, i.e., it sound good to you.

And as a sub-question: are there other Technics models that are similar enough to the SL-1401 so that any advice on cartridges for those tables would be equally applicable to the 1401?

I would avoid ultra-light tracking cartridges, look for something that tracks between 2 and 3 grams.

I own a Technics SL 1401 with a 440mlb and couldn't be happier using the micro line, particularly with used vinyl. It must be playing a little deeper in the groove because it sure seems to be bringing out much of the new vinyl sound. This may not be objective enough and if it isn't please disregard as I am not a tt expert, just someone that likes equipment that sounds good for the money.

Thanks for all the advice. After doing some extensive reading, it seems like there's nearly a consensus on the interwebs that the at440mlb is the best bang for your buck in the $200 price range, as long as you're ok with a cartridge that doesn't have hip aesthetics. I'm leaning towards going for it, but have a few questions:
  • Is there any reason to get the newer VM540ML? It's $50 more than the 440mlb on Amazon, so I would be inclined to just go for the 440 and save the $50.
  • Would I run into problems from the 440 being discontinued? Would I be unable to find a replacement stylus and have to buy a new cart when the stylus wears out?
  • I read above (and elsewhere) that I should look for a cartridge that tracks from 2-3g for the SL-1401, but the 440 tracks lighter than this. Will that be an issue?
  • Would the 440 work ok with the internal phono stage of my HK3490 receiver?
  • Anything else I should be thinking about?
Thanks again to everyone for the help!

• Is there any reason to get the newer VM540ML? It's $50 more than the 440mlb on Amazon, so I would be inclined to just go for the 440 and save the $50.
No
  • Would I run into problems from the 440 being discontinued? Would I be unable to find a replacement stylus and have to buy a new cart when the stylus wears out?
Most likely not. AT is pretty good with supporting older carts.
  • I read above (and elsewhere) that I should look for a cartridge that tracks from 2-3g for the SL-1401, but the 440 tracks lighter than this. Will that be an issue?
No
I would try to get a capacitance number of the phono stage. Unfortunately it is most likely too high to be in the optimal range. I used to not worry about capacitance, I had an AT cart (VS215EP with a ATN132EP stylus) plugged into the internal phono stage of my Onkyo A-9010. I found out that the pf number of it was way high, around 500-1000. I got a U-Turn Pluto, which put me right around 150pf. It made a huge difference. Your turntable, if it has the stock wiring, is already 100-120pf, so you only have another 130pf to work with.

While there might be some 440 and replacement styli out there for a while AT has discontinued them and is advising using a new series stylus as replacement for all the old cartridges.....

I have installed the new VM540ML, 540EN and VM520EB for local clients of one of the local record stores to rave reviews...I have posted some of the performance scope shots of these cartridges elsewhere in this forum. The EN at 180.00 seems to be in the sweet spot......although have all seemed to be a good value.

As in all things cartridge setup, especially dynamic azimuth is important to get right....you should seek out a local expert to properly setup what ever cartridge you choose.

The VN760SLC is next on our agenda.......

I would try to get a capacitance number of the phono stage. Unfortunately it is most likely too high to be in the optimal range. I used to not worry about capacitance, I had an AT cart (VS215EP with a ATN132EP stylus) plugged into the internal phono stage of my Onkyo A-9010. I found out that the pf number of it was way high, around 500-1000. I got a U-Turn Pluto, which put me right around 150pf. It made a huge difference. Your turntable, if it has the stock wiring, is already 100-120pf, so you only have another 130pf to work with.

I found this in another thread about the HK3490:

From the service manual you could see that the MM section is a pretty simple, single-stage, opamp-based design with the (re-)equalisation being done in the feedback loop. Pretty much the usual approach in that class today, using a fairly decent opamp (NJM2068), though. Input capacity apparently ~ 200 pF. A bit much EMI blocking for my taste, though - but that's also pretty usual nowadays.

On the whole it would seem usable, but nothing to write home about - and most probably it'll be a bottleneck for good carts with high quality needles.

After some Googling I was unable to find the source of this info to verify, but at least it's something to go on. I don't really understand what all of this means (though I'd like to learn) - can you help interpret?

The service manual is available here in case that's helpful.

That is not too bad, you won't be that over the ideal pf range. If the cart sounds overly bright and shrill then that would indicate a problem.

That is not too bad, you won't be that over the ideal pf range. If the cart sounds overly bright and shrill then that would indicate a problem.

Thanks. Just to make sure I understand, if it does sound too bright, would that mean I'd need to get an external phono preamp? Given that I've set a cartridge budget of roughly $200, I'm a bit wary of taking the risk that after I spend $200 on this cart, I'll have to put another couple hundred into a phono pre. How big a risk is that, do you think?

Maybe I should think about this differently - if my receiver's phono stage is likely the limiting factor in my system, will I actually see the benefit from spending $200 on a cart like the 440? Would my receiver indicate that I should be looking at a lower price point? Happy to spend the $200, as long as I'll really see the benefit in audio quality.

I think you should give it a shot. There is a good chance you could be ok, as you are not going to be that far over the recommended range of capacitance. You can get a good phono preamp for > $100. I would take the chance and see what happens. You will see the benefit.

I've run Audio Technica carts on my Technics SL-1300 and SL-1350 for many years. Not the first problem. No tracking difficulties. Great sound.

Buy the AT cart that's in your financial comfort zone and you'll smile. Just be sure to use a record cleaner before playing each side.

just my $0.02

Thanks again, everyone. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the AT440mlb, but have a few more questions:

• I read that it's very sensitive to proper alignment. With my SL-1401 table, which doesn't have VTA adjustment, will I be able to get it aligned right? Would using the Technics Overhang Gauge be good enough, or would I need to buy a specific protractor?
  • I've read comments that this cartridge is great for less-pristine records with surface noise, because it tracks more deeply and can eliminate some surface noise. I've read elsewhere that you should only use this cartridge on more-pristine records, since the benefits will be lost on other material, or it'll damage the needle, or something... if a good bit of my collection consists of decent-but-not-perfect-condition garage sale finds, is this cart still worth it?
Thanks again to everyone for bearing with my noob questions. Y'all are patient, friendly, and incredibly helpful.

Back
Top Bottom