I found LOTS of tubes. Worth anything?

Jibe01

My Father passed away many years ago. He was an Electronics Repairman - chiefly TV's and radios. Recently, when cleaning out his garage, I came across several boxes of tubes. My Brother counted 600. Are these worth anything? 20190308_143041.jpg 20190308_143047.jpg 20190308_143050.jpg

The pictures are blurry so I can't really see what is what. Tubes that I would be looking for in that stash are as follows:

12AX7, 12AU7, 6V6, 6BQ5, 6L6 I could go on so start there as for value it depends on who and where you plan on selling them on top of that if someone is willing to purchase them they more then likely will want to know how they test (Good or Bad).

Seeing as your father had all those tubes and was a repairman maybe look around and see if there is a tube tester to found

Ebay is your friend. Look them up one by one until finished, I say this because there are many different types of tubes even in the same family and unless you know what they are you can miss some good ones for example the 12AU7 there has to be at least 10 different model numbers of basically the same tube 6680-5814-7318-5963-6350-7316-7730-CV491-E80CC-802S-B749 and it holds true for most tube types.Then brand names and construction of the tubes Grey plates Black plates Halo getter D getter short plates long plates etc all play a part in value and the prices can vary wildly. Most NOS 12AU7 Types are worth less then $50.00 each but Genalex B749 Tubes can bring a fortune here is a pic below of a used untested pair that sold for $1800.00 NOS ones can bring far more. I have been playing with tubes for a long time and I still run across tubes that I have never seen before.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Probably a lot of TV tubes. But as mentioned above some may very well be worth something. If you find any really fat 9 and 12 pin tubes, those are TV sweep tubes and can be used for audio. I'm building an amp that uses TV sweep tubes. Drivers and output tubes all in one bottle.

I agree with the above.

I bought a lot of ~200 or so tubes today (for example), many are used, many are NOS, but most of what I bought are $1-$5 tubes even NOS, it's the few mentioned above plus EL34, KT-88, 7199, etc. that I really want (but never seem to find in a lot).

I'd imagine he also left a tube tester? That if a good one and properly calibrated will add value to the tubes (if you want to take the time to test and evaluate each one), you can sell them as tested with numbers and possibly match sets. Without that it is hard to get a decent buck for anything but the most sought-after.

Above +2. Likely TV tubes and maybe a few 12AX7 and 12AU7. Don't despair, audio stashes are out there. Here is my one and only audio tube score.

6L6, EL34.

0z9PFx7.jpg

12AU7, 12AX7.

Ur7b4mP.jpg

Very likely to be mostly TV tubes of little value as others have said if for no other reason then millions of TV's were made for many years the ratio versus audio tubes is tremendous likely 20-1 if not higher not everyone had a tube receiver or amp and preamp in there house but virtually everyone had a TV or radio but it is good to know what tubes are for what application and which types have value and the only way to do it is to look them up eventually you will be able to at a glance recognize an audio tube and with a little luck you may find a few

Thanks for the sage advice everyone. I'll be back there this weekend, and will do a deeper dive into the tube trove

Some 9 pin Novar, Magnoval and 12 pin Compactron tubes are being used for amplifiers. The 9 in type have a larger diameter than the standard 9 pin like the 12ax7. Other TV tubes have been found to be great for audio as well. Like the 12BH7. It was a horizontal tube if I remember right. I use a couple in the driver stage in one of my amps in place of a 12AU7.

You'll go crazy looking for a handful of well known audio types. And frankly there are a couple dozen at least that are often seen in audio, dozens more typically seen in antique radios.

First, most valuable tubes have numbers starting with 6 or 12. Skip over the oddball ones - 1, 3, 4, 5, 11 etc. That first # is the filament voltage, and most of the oddballs are from series string TV sets that add up to 120V.

Any really big tubes with 4, 5, or 6 fat pins may be valuable, especially if they have 2-digit numbers (27, 45, 80 etc.). These are radio tubes from the 20s.

This should help you sort at little bit and evaluate how many potentially valuable candidates you have. If you posted better pics we could help you ID them. Don't count on finding a treasure trove from the average TV repair guy, but there will be some good ones.

I personally would never throw out tubes, because they just don't make em anymore (essentially). You can almost always find a home for them.

As a professional your dad must have had some kind of ordering how the tubes are located in those boxes...

Well, finally got around to organizing my Dad's old tubes - Pictures below. Now I need to start researching if they are of any value.. I did find an old tube tester, but not sure if it works - that will be the next step. I did find a 12AU7 & a 12AU7A. Most of the tubes begin with "6". There are probably about 600 tubes total.
If anyone can shed some light on what may have some value, vs what is worthless, that would be appreciated!

10.JPG 9.JPG 8.JPG 7.JPG 6.JPG 5.JPG 4.JPG 3.JPG 2.JPG 1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom