I have a pair of Sennheiser's 650 and I don't like them.

I have a pair of Sennheiser's 650 and I don't like them. I bought them for myself on Christmas about 5 years ago and they just don't thrill me. They were a disappointment on Christmas day and haven't improved. The high end just isn't there. I'm using a Rotel preamp RC-1070 to power them. Its it the amplifier, the phones, or my 62 year old ears?

Yeah, you are right, absolutely horrible phones. In fact, send yours over to me and I will make sure they are disposed of properly.

I have a pair of Sennheiser's 650 and I don't like them. I bought them for myself on Christmas about 5 years ago and they just don't thrill me. They were a disappointment on Christmas day and haven't improved. The high end just isn't there. I'm using a Rotel preamp RC-1070 to power them. Its it the amplifier, the phones, or my 62 year old ears?
I am the same age (62) and I have some mild hearing loss. I just discovered some great software that will do custom EQ for that model and also offers age based correction for high frequency hearing loss. Of course you have to be using PC or Mac as source but it works great. They have a 10 day trial. Sonarworks Tru-Fi https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

Yes, I am 99% certain it is the headphone amplifier. The HD650 headphones claim a frequency response of 10 Hz–39.5 kHz, ±10 dB, which seems sort of unreal and superhuman for a set of headphones, but we’ll accept it for now. The real number we’re concerned with, however, is the HD650’s 300 ohms of impedance. As with other Sennheiser open-air headphones, they have a high impedance that requires not only a powerful amp, but a quality amp. To get the most out of these headphones, you’ll need something good.

I have the Sennheiser HD-600 which I like very much. But it will sound terrible if I just plug it into a receiver or pre-amp headphone jack. The Rotel RC-1070 uses a low power op-amp IC for the headphone jack which is totally inadequate for the HD-650. A good solid state headphone amp can be had for well under $200. I will not recommend the OTL tube amp for this headphone. Usually, the quality is not there for inexpensive tube headamp. I second the headamp recommendation by heyraz.

I am about your age. Yes, our hearing deteriorates over age. My hearing starts to drop off at above 8,000 Hz and disappear completely above 12,000 Hz. It does not hinder me from enjoying music. You can check the hearing yourself easily using an equipment (speaker) test CD such as the one put out by Stereophile Magazine.

Last edited:
Yes, I am 99% certain it is the headphone amplifier. The HD650 headphones claim a frequency response of 10 Hz–39.5 kHz, ±10 dB, which seems sort of unreal and superhuman for a set of headphones, but we’ll accept it for now. The real number we’re concerned with, however, is the HD650’s 300 ohms of impedance. As with other Sennheiser open-air headphones, they have a high impedance that requires not only a powerful amp, but a quality amp. To get the most out of these headphones, you’ll need something good.

I have the Sennheiser HD-600 which I like very much. But it will sound terrible if I just plug it into a receiver or pre-amp headphone jack. The Rotel RC-1070 uses a low power op-amp IC for the headphone jack which is totally inadequate for the HD-650. A good solid state headphone amp can be had for well under $200. I will not recommend the OTL tube amp for this headphone. Usually, the quality is not there for inexpensive tube headamp.

I am about your age. Yes, our hearing deteriorates over age. My hearing starts to drop off at above 8,000 Hz and disappear completely above 12,000 Hz. It does not hinder me from enjoying music. You can check the hearing yourself easily using an equipment (speaker) test CD such as the one put out by Stereophile Magazine.

I have the Sennheiser HD600's and drive with Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp ($350) with excellent results. Plenty of detail, clarity and imaging.

I just got a pair of the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX. I am liking them, but part of me misses my Grado SR80e's when I listen to rock music. I have only had them for 24 hours so I am not jumping to conclusions just yet.

Have mine with LittleDot III - absolutely love them! They are 300 Ohm and need a good source that can drive them.
-s

you may need a headphone amp that you've tested/listened-to. also, if you have upper
frequency hearing loss then either hearing aids ($$$$) or a cheap equalizer.

have someone young and female listen through your headphones through your system
and your music and ask a few questions on the higher frequencies.

You know, it's possible the guy just doesn't like the goddam things, even under perfect conditions. Indeed, I heard gear that sounded even worse under ideal conditions.

Last edited:
You know, it's possible the guy just doesn't like the goddam things, even under perfect conditions. Indeed, I heard gear that sounded even worse under ideal conditions.
mac mini has had the Sennheiser 650 for 5 years, but he did not mention whether he had tried it with anything other than the Rotel preamp RC-1070. He wouldn't have known whether he likes it or not until he tries it with a proper headphone amplifier. On the other hand, he may not be a serious headphone listener when he did nothing for 5 years, not even another headphone.

If budget is an issue, he would be much better off selling the 650 on Ebay and use the proceed to get a Sennheiser HD-598 and a good headamp.

mac mini has had the Sennheiser 650 for 5 years, but he did not mention whether he had tried it with anything other than the Rotel preamp RC-1070. He wouldn't have known whether he likes it or not until he tries it with a proper headphone amplifier.

He didn't like it but didn't know he didn't like it? What he didn't know was if there was a possibility he might like it, not that he didn't like it.

I used to be a headphone guy. I had Beyerdynamics DT880/DT990/770 all impedance versions, T1, AKG702, loads of Grados, Audiotechnicas, and yeah I had these. And to my young then ears the Sennheiser 6xx were the shi*iest sounding headphones I ever tried even cheap ones. I was using Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm heavily when I bought myself Sennheiser 6xx 300ohm. My first reaction was that they had put too much sponge on the drivers or something, the sound seemed spongy, like digitally filtered through something, guitars and wind instruments sounded synthetic/electronic. I literally removed the sponges but it didn't change much.

I sold them. Then I was reading about something people refer to as "Sennheiser veil" when talking of those headphones. Sound has round edges, I called it "pink candy" sound, highs are rolled off for sure, no really deep bass either, sound is castrated to me, no agressivenes at all, they would be good for electronic music I guess. Many people love them though.They say that other headphones are too harsh and fatigue them so it's personal.

Personally for jazz/rock I would recommend Beyerdynamic, they are proper over ears comfy with deep cups, big soundstage. Premium version has lighter clamp (DT880) or deeper cups (DT990) than Pro version. Sound signature is slightly V-shaped, accentuated deep bass and highs (DT990/DT770), DT880 are flattest, most natural sounding with slightly recessed mids, modern solid state headphone amp based on op-amps won't squeeze much bass out of DT880 even 250ohm.

DT880 600ohm for a valve headphone amplifier,
DT880/DT770 250ohm for a vintage 1970s SS receiver,
DT990/DT770 250ohm for solid state headphone amplifier

Last edited:
I agree. Mine were paired with a thousand dollar German tube headphone amp and I had upgraded cables. My old Stax Gammas ate them alive. Just too dark for me. I actually preferred my 600's.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but for someone that wants extreme air in their sound, the 650s aren't even the right choice among that grade of Sennheiser.

600s are quite a bit more airy though they do trail off in the bottom end a bit more than the 650s.

I could live with either one.

He didn't like it but didn't know he didn't like it? What he didn't know was if there was a possibility he might like it, not that he didn't like it.

Oh geez, my side's splitting - stop, stop. I'm spitting coffee here.
It's just not possible that someone doesn't like the headphones I have - they must be delusional or clearly lacking the basic mental acuity to make a rational decision.

I'm going with you Tom - maybe he just doesn't like the goddam things. I've had more than one pair of phones that I didn't like, so it's not inconceivable.
Cheers

Replace the stock cable on the HD650. It is a mediocre sounding cable and contributes to rolling off the upper frequencies. I have a pair of HD580's and, recently received the Massdrop HD6XX (650 clone). Both sound way better (more open, tighter bass, extended high frequencies) using my Nordost Heimdall 2 aftermarket headphone cable for the HD580/600/650 series. I highly recommend replacing the stock cable on this series of 'phones.

Replace the stock cable on the HD650. It is a mediocre sounding cable and contributes to rolling off the upper frequencies. I have a pair of HD580's and, recently received the Massdrop HD6XX (650 clone). Both sound way better (more open, tighter bass, extended high frequencies) using my Nordost Heimdall 2 aftermarket headphone cable for the HD580/600/650 series. I highly recommend replacing the stock cable on this series of 'phones.
I plan on trying a different cable when I can find one well reviewed that is affordable.

Back
Top Bottom