I have been considering an AC Cobra 427 replica

Yes, but he's not buying an original, believe it or not the 289 is a pretty rare motor today. That's why I said a 302 as they are using them more for these cars as well as the 351w. The car would be cheaper with these motors in it opposed to a 427. There will also be far more to choose from with a 302/351
Agreed.

I always thought Ford missed when the new Mustang in 05 hit the market with a 4.6, would have been so much cooler with a modern 289.

Not that I ever had one, but I used to joke "Once I'm over my mid-life crises, I'm starting my second childhood". ;)

Have fun, enjoy life and be careful.

Not that I ever had one, but I used to joke "Once I'm over my mid-life crises, I'm starting my second childhood". ;)

Have fun, enjoy life and be careful.
A guy once asked me if my last Mustang was a mid-life crisis thing. If buying a sporty car is a mid-life crisis thing then I guess I started mine at 17 and never stopped lol.

Nothing wrong with a 429, but it is an awfully big motor in such a small car, the 460 or 427 not any better lol.
It's a pig, even the drag racers didn't want to use it when ford was replacing the 427/428. The rotating assembly is what made it a pig, it was just to heavy. Racers would loose trying to get it off the line and that's not a problem for a FE engine. Dude I'm ford blue through and through, nobody wants a 429/460 unless it's a car like the boss 429 or the 429 fairlane cobra and collectable.

The only 460 I like is a 427 block bored 4.70 and use a 428 crank to get 460ci

You only go around once, you might as well enjoy the trip.

If this is the one you want and you can afford it.... go for it.

You have to be careful of kit cars because they are widow makers. A 1972 Karman Ghia will take any kit car in the corners without risking your life. I put a Chrysler 273 and 727 torque-flight automatic tranny into a Miata that handled well because the engine trans combo weighed the same as the OEM assembly that I removed. Too many supposed sports cars have engines that are too heavy placed over the top of the front suspension and Corvette is one of them. If you just want something to drive around carefully and not park anywhere it won’t really matter, just keep it in a straight line when you press down on the throttle. A ‘67 Mustang with a 351C, gas shocks and sway bars then don’t forget an alarm would be a safer and more practical choice.
Sorry but that's just not true. There are plenty of great kit cars. The problem with the AC Cobra Kit cars is that guys want to stuff the biggest motor they can in them and that can make them a very dangerous evil handling car. If I was going to get one of those I'd stick a 289 hi-po motor in it. Better weight distribution handling and driveability. Stick with 17in or 18-inch wheels and your ride will be much better. 20 inch rims on one of those and it's going to ride like a Buckboard. Do find out who made the kit. Kits have gotten so much better than they used to be.

Depends on what you want and why??

No one in there right mind would be out on today's roads playing bumper tags with a "Real Cobra" anyway so forget that!

That said your first step with a "Kit" as always is do your research! And a good start would be this book. :
https://www.amazon.com/BIG-Guide-Cobra-Kits-Parts/dp/0970117930

And for what it's worth if I was going to get a Cobra Replica and had the budget it would be a "Superformance Cobra." Nuff Said there. :)

A big block Cobra ... looks freaking awesome, it did back then and it still does now! If that is what you want, then that is what you should get, end of story! But if this rather expensive piece of gear is gonna more that a "Garage Queen" in a stable of uh more "practical vehicles??" Then perhaps there are better options?? But bottom line, nothing carries more visceral impact, than a "Big Block/Motor" with a lopey cam ... taking care of business! In the "sound fast" category ... that is always gonna win!
But if "speed" is the thing and can you actually put "power down" a Big Block Cobra ... LOL "Good Luck" with that!

In the "real world" day in day out 0 to 60, is what matters. And there pretty much hands down no "BS" ... a factory stock Tesla S .. is the top "Dawg!"

Now admittedly boring by comparison, but as it happens you already "own" a car from the manufacture you need! If your goal is "Speed" and a car you could actually drive on wet roads??

A "Subby" WRX! Get a low mileage example and take it to a "Subby Tuner!" It would take less than 20 grand in mods! And if ... speed is is your thing and driving a car that "won't try to "KILL YOU!" is important, a modded WRX, would put a "Beat Down On" a Big Block Cobra! And if the roads happen to be wet?? That is "Game Over!" :)

But hey a heavily modded WRX, does not sound or look like a Big Block Cobra! You did not say what your "car guy" background was??

Aww well regardless, best advise with your choice is well don't drive it in the rain, and on dry ... make sure the steering wheel is pointed where you want to go before dropping the hammer cuz you know ... barring "counter steering" that is where your heading, "Good Luck" with your choice. :)

These Cobra replicas are a great place for either a 351W or a 347 stroker (based on the 302). Small-block weight with way more torque than necessary. :D

Regards
Gordon.

It's a pig, even the drag racers didn't want to use it when ford was replacing the 427/428. The rotating assembly is what made it a pig, it was just to heavy. Racers would loose trying to get it off the line and that's not a problem for a FE engine. Dude I'm ford blue through and through, nobody wants a 429/460 unless it's a car like the boss 429 or the 429 fairlane cobra and collectable.

The only 460 I like is a 427 block bored 4.70 and use a 428 crank to get 460ci

Actually the 429 was pretty quick and a stout motor. I abused a 429 Cyclone in my youth and many a Chevy and Mopar fell victim to it. It would only do a hundred and fifteen but it got there quick. When I look at Ford Motor Products from that era I'm always looking for a 429 and a Super Cobra Jet not just the plain Cobra Jet

Last edited:
A buddy has one with an all original '65 427 side oiler with dual quads. That son of a biatch is a m'fn blast! His is a very well built car, handles like a slot car, and it runs!

If you want one, I'd think you want a dual quad 427. But if the price is right on the one you're liking at, go drive it. I'd be wary that it would be a tad nose heavy and under steer a bit when pushed. You'd definitely want to find that out on the test drive. A big parking lot would be suitable.

Gonna add we have no idea of the OP's car's background?? Cuz you know if he "roll's hard??" It's kinda hard to "test drive" a crap load of crates! That is how how some people build their Corba's. I for one would be down with that! But it does like he has a built car in mind, so just saying. :)

A buddy has one with an all original '65 427 side oiler with dual quads. That son of a biatch is a m'fn blast! His is a very well built car, handles like a slot car, and it runs!

If you want one, I'd think you want a dual quad 427
:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom