I have been considering an AC Cobra 427 replica

That's what separates the men from the boys. ;)

You say that now, but come try to launch my HellCat off the line. I just can't do the 911 handling (Lord knows I've tried). I can do the "break your neck" launch--I used to drag race, but that "ass heavy" 911, I could never master. If I were ever to buy a Porsche, it would be a 928S 4-valve. It was probably the best thing they ever built, but it wasn't a 911, so it was "dismissed" by the Porsche crowd.

You say that now, but come try to launch my HellCat off the line. I just can't do the 911 handling (Lord knows I've tried). I can do the "break your neck" launch--I used to drag race, but that "ass heavy" 911, I could never master. If I were ever to buy a Porsche, it would be a 928S 4-valve. It was probably the best thing they ever built, but it wasn't a 911, so it was "dismissed" by the Porsche crowd.

Did you see the Jags I posted?

The Cobe is different.

You have to fit it, and it you. It's not for the maj. Not saying' it's not for you.

Just saying take yer time on this one.

Q

One more thing, the V12 jag is one of the least sought after, most likely cheaper than your Hellcat lol.

Possibly--that one is about dead even for the HellCat, but I want the Jag in a "drop-top"--never cared for the coupes, but I love the convertibles. The coupes look almost too much like a Citroen for my tastes.

Possibly--that one is about dead even for the HellCat, but I want the Jag in a "drop-top"--never cared for the coupes, but I love the convertibles. The coupes look almost too much like a Citroen for my tastes.

The FHC has always been considered the better looking, and the one Enzo declared the most beautiful car in the world, but the drop tops always demand more money.

JDX_Reborn_1366x650_Desktop_tcm76-362982_desktop_1366x650-1-626x382.jpg

Not seeing any resemblance to any of these lol.
Screenshot_20190316-150740.png

Last edited:
The FHC has always been considered the better looking, and the one Enzo declared the most beautiful car in the world, but the drop tops always demand more money.

index.php

OK--I'll take that one. You got a couple spare million to front me? LOL I don't know if you saw the pic of my big Cat, but for a big sedan, it holds its own. The rims are a bit ridiculous, but they do their job and it sticks like glue for it's weight--it is not a "light" car.

Ok, so you like the drop top, well I perused a few and this one looks like a good buy. Personally I prefer the older inline six FHC with a standard tranny, but an autoshifter can be had for considerably less and with the V12's huge amount of torque would make up the difference.

Just a few shots from the ad, looks really nice with restoration documentation etc. I like that they used older bumpers in place of the huge rubber ones OEM to this series.
Screenshot_20190316-151822.png
Screenshot_20190316-152120.png
Screenshot_20190316-152145.png
Screenshot_20190316-152213.png
Screenshot_20190316-152305.png
Screenshot_20190316-152313.png

I know your feeling your wallet draining right now lol. It sure looks pretty. I know my Jag got more attention than any car I've ever owned. If I had it out in the driveway people would stop, ring the bell, and ask permission to stare at my car lol. Girls in bikinis at the beach all wanted their pictures taken with my car, dragging their boyfriends over making them take the shots lol.

If you don't like attention don't get an E-type.

OK--I'll take that one. You got a couple spare million to front me? LOL I don't know if you saw the pic of my big Cat, but for a big sedan, it holds its own. The rims are a bit ridiculous, but they do their job and it sticks like glue for it's weight--it is not a "light" car.

I'm the one that recommended it to you lol.
This is the one I believe.
maxresdefault (2).jpg

Last edited:
The V12 was actually built using the 6 cyl 2+2 chassis , both with the same 105" WB over the regular 96" WB. The V12 version gained a wider track , but overall the front end wasn't any longer. The wider track helped the handling and the longer wheelbase gave more HS stability and more room in the car. The ragtop V12 didn't have a back seat and on the 2+2 it folds down for lot's of room for whatever you wish to haul. The V12 though all aluminum SOHC is a bit heavier than the old cast iron block , aluminum head DOHC inline 6. It would fit in the old 6 cyl chassis, but they thought the longer chassis would help the balance and the desire they thought was there for more interior room. Anyway the E type was getting old and they thought a big update would help it. and they had a std trans still (AT optional) plus an improved AC system.

The V12 was actually built using the 6 cyl 2+2 chassis , both with the same 105" WB over the regular 96" WB. The V12 version gained a wider track , but overall the front end wasn't any longer. The wider track helped the handling and the longer wheelbase gave more HS stability and more room in the car. The ragtop V12 didn't have a back seat and on the 2+2 it folds down for lot's of room for whatever you wish to haul. The V12 though all aluminum SOHC is a bit heavier than the old cast iron block , aluminum head DOHC inline 6. It would fit in the old 6 cyl chassis, but they thought the longer chassis would help the balance and the desire they thought was there for more interior room. Anyway the E type was getting old and they thought a big update would help it. and they had a std trans still (AT optional) plus an improved AC system.

I believe it was the tranny for the 12 that necessitated the use of the 2+2 as the basis for the bigger car. The added outboard weight of the V12 required the wider track. I always liked the series 3 with the flared wheel wells, and who doesn't like a V12 lol. But the engines were prone to overheating and usually catastrophic. With proper maintenance this might not have been an issue I would think.

Either way, still the most beautiful car ever made IMO.

They aren't prone to overheating due to poor design or anything like that, but do have a thermostat on each cylinder head and electric fans for the rad. The sensors can fail for the electric fan as the quality of some switches and sensors (Lucas) , may not be the best.

Maintenance , like coolant changes, hose inspection will keep it all good as it all functioned great with no sign of overheating on 32+C or 90+ F days with the AC on when I had mine
and it was just like the Coupe in post #139 and had the 4sp std (no AT for me) and (optional AC) in British racing green. The interior was a in a nice green leather and smelled nice because of it.

The dashes and console were always black on them. There were no power seats, locks, or windows, or even cruise control available as after all it was a sports car! Wire wheels, AC & AT were the only options.

A super smooth short stroke engine (2.75") with that great V12 wail and pretty good MPG as the car wasn't too heavy and the engine was only 5.3L or 326 CI. Carbs were easy to work on and re-balance as the needles and seats and diaphragms were wear items. The 4 sp std even had it's own oil pump.

The AC system was all GM's best Frigidaire system with the long compressor and if you got the AT it was GM's best , the TH-400. The newly added, because of the extra wt. PS was also GM.

When I bought mine in 1981 it was a used car so was affordable, but not cheap for sure! I was looking for a nice 6 cylinder roadster, but couldn't find one that I liked condition wise so newer was better to me and the V12 enticed me and never regretted buying it.

Last edited:
I'm the one that recommended it to you lol.
This is the one I believe.

That would be the one--the same color actually. I wanted black, but I got the silver because it was a dealer demo (the dealership owner's car) and a tad over $25K off sticker with only 3300 miles on it, so I could deal with that. It still cost a king's ransom, but it is a really "comfortable" car with enough balls to be fun. Owning two supercharged cars and a turbo'd diesel truck, it's nice to hear that "whine" under pressure. My truck and the big Cat are pretty subdued, but the HellCat is just obnoxiously loud--even at idle. But it is "subtle" in it's own way--it looks like any other Challenger with fancy rims and a stripe kit. Other than hearing it run, you'd never guess that there was almost 800hp under the hood--and I really think that 797hp rating is a bit "underrated". Come on--4600 lbs 0-60 in 3.6 seconds--you do the math.

The most "beautiful" car that I ever owned was the Ferrari 328GTS. It just looked like it was going 100mph standing still, and a high-revving small displacement V-8 has "that sound". But the "prancing horse" was too expensive to maintain in the long run. It never failed me, and I had no major issues with it, but routine maintenance was brutally expensive. So I can check that one off of my "bucket list"--yes, I owned a Ferrari. If I had to pick one more "bucket list" car, it would be a 1985 Lambo Countach--nothing more obnoxious ever built.

That would be the one--the same color actually. I wanted black, but I got the silver because it was a dealer demo (the dealership owner's car) and a tad over $25K off sticker with only 3300 miles on it, so I could deal with that. It still cost a king's ransom, but it is a really "comfortable" car with enough balls to be fun. Owning two supercharged cars and a turbo'd diesel truck, it's nice to hear that "whine" under pressure. My truck and the big Cat are pretty subdued, but the HellCat is just obnoxiously loud--even at idle. But it is "subtle" in it's own way--it looks like any other Challenger with fancy rims and a stripe kit. Other than hearing it run, you'd never guess that there was almost 800hp under the hood--and I really think that 797hp rating is a bit "underrated". Come on--4600 lbs 0-60 in 3.6 seconds--you do the math.

The most "beautiful" car that I ever owned was the Ferrari 328GTS. It just looked like it was going 100mph standing still, and a high-revving small displacement V-8 has "that sound". But the "prancing horse" was too expensive to maintain in the long run. It never failed me, and I had no major issues with it, but routine maintenance was brutally expensive. So I can check that one off of my "bucket list"--yes, I owned a Ferrari. If I had to pick one more "bucket list" car, it would be a 1985 Lambo Countach--nothing more obnoxious ever built.

Love Ferraris, always wanted the red headed step child, the Dino, the best looking car in their stable, even if it isn't considered a "real" Ferrari lol.

M1A0115-Edit-1024x617.jpg

But as far as "most beautiful" car ever made, not just my words. It's been given this title by numerous auto publications, car experts, etc, and the icing on the cake, Enzo Ferrari himself speaking about his competition. Reportedly Enzo was not known for niceties, just ask the people at Ford and Lamborghini lol.

Thankfully or we wouldn't have the Ford GT40, or Lamborghini cars to drool over.

Love Ferraris, always wanted the red headed step child, the Dino, the best looking car in their stable, even if it isn't considered a "real" Ferrari

I "almost" bought one about 20 years ago. Yes, they have the "lines" and look incredible, but Dino wasn't Enzo when it came to drivetrains.

Agreed....friend of mine had a 4-valve 928, which he let me drive a few times. I told him "What you have here is the world`s most perfect Firebird Trans Am"....that`s what it seemed like to me. If I had to cover large chunks of real estate at high speeds, in comfort, the 928 S4 would be on my short list. What a car !

Brother in law asked me to help him build a FFR MkIII. Should have taken less than a year to build with my background. But, real life takes priority on one's time and it took 6 years from ordering to actually painted and finished. It didn't help that I modified or remade quite a few things along the way and finding someone to do the bodywork and paint took a year itself.

Windsor-based 392 (430hp/430tq), Tremek TKO-600 with the short top ratio, 3.27 final drive (if I remember correctly), SN95 steering knuckles, 4-link rear end, SN95 brakes f&r, 235f/295r 15" tires. I did the alignment with a digital protractor (caster/camber), strings for the toe, a scale for the ride height, and the corner weights 'by hand' and it drives perfectly. It wasn't until about two years later that I borrowed the scales from the first race team I worked for (in the mid-late 80s). The corner weights were less than 20 lbs off. Final wet weight was right at 2400 lbs. Needs better dampers (not nearly enough rebound damping) but otherwise drives/handles great. Manual steering but, I did relent and installed power brakes (vacuum assist) when he repeatedly complained about the effort. It is plain quick/fast; way too fast for him but, he's not one to push it anyway. We (I) went with the small block for weight. It makes as much hp as an original 427S, which is to say, more than the tires can put to the ground, anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom