Idler wheel turntable opinions

I know nothing of these idler tables but managed to find one Sunday. JVC Nivico SRP-471E-5. It's my first. I very much dig the look of the tone arm with the anti skate weight just hanging there and stuff. Very classy looking to these eyes and will clean up nicely. There's a lot to shine up on this old Japanese table including the platter, knobs and tone arm... It works, meaning the motor is not seized up and the rubber idler wheels are both soft. The motor mounts have not deteriorated as I've read this is a common failing with this model. I understand parts are hard to come by. Hopefully I can bring it to working condition after a tear down and lube job. It is missing the right front original spring. There's a replacement spring there though. The plinth has some corner damage in the front but it's not terrible. The cover is not cracked and will buff out very nicely. The cartridge is intact and old, I know, but the tip looks fine under the loupe. I already gave it an initial cleaning with many more to come. I know it's been stored awhile and the seasoned citizen I bought it from was not the original owner. I'm excited and it's just the kind of table for someone like me that enjoys cleaning and making things look nice. Thanks for looking.

S.J.

View attachment 1012320 View attachment 1012321 View attachment 1012322 View attachment 1012323 View attachment 1012324 View attachment 1012329 View attachment 1012331
I have the same table and use it in my classroom. The weakness in that table is the motor housing and light stamped platter, which despite new rubber spacers and other efforts at dampening produces some rumble. But once the music starts, I think it sounds excellent. The arm is its best attribute, even though the fixed anti-skate isn't ideal.

I want to preface my comments with, my TT knowledge can fill a small thimble.
I've had several 1019s.
Certainly not a bad table.
I had a long conversation with Seth (no transistors). He seemed partial to the 1219.

Mr Pig,
Thanks for the tour of the Japanese idlers.
I wasn't aware of any of them. From looks alone I like the Trio!
I have the Trio (Kenwood KP-5021) and it is an amazing table. The drive mechanism is almost the sam as the TD-124.
I've had a lot of trouble finding a belt for it as a replacement. My is stretched a bit and cannot locate one. I guess that is part of the problem with a relatively rare turntable.

The Dual 1019 is a low cost way to get the idler fun, the PRAT if you will, at a lower cost than many if the recommended options here.

Mine is in a big solid plinth, runs like a top, does not but rumble, and sounds really good.

Hello. I bought Kenwood turntable like yours some time ago. When I realized the high quality of it I grabbed the second one as soon as the opportunity appeared. So I have two now. I located belts for it and bought them, they were right size but twice as thick. Wasted money. The original ones are silicon and I doubt we will ever be able for get replacement. Mine are still usabe though.

What about the Garrard Zero 100 S ? I picked one up recently for little money. Very good looking TT with the unusual parallel tracking arm and stroboscope window for checking pitch.

images.jpg

Hello. I bought Kenwood turntable like yours some time ago. When I realized the high quality of it I grabbed the second one as soon as the opportunity appeared. So I have two now. I located belts for it and bought them, they were right size but twice as thick. Wasted money. The original ones are silicon and I doubt we will ever be able for get replacement. Mine are still usabe though.

The one I have is very usable. I worked with the seller of the belt you bought. I worked with him because he made belts. He built a couple for me but as you experienced, way too stiff and thick. I gave up. We probably need to contact a Treo expert in Japan where there may be a few enthusiasts that could find us a belt or two.
The search goes on. I'll let you know if I find any.

The one I have is very usable. I worked with the seller of the belt you bought. I worked with him because he made belts. He built a couple for me but as you experienced, way too stiff and thick. I gave up. We probably need to contact a Treo expert in Japan where there may be a few enthusiasts that could find us a belt or two.
The search goes on. I'll let you know if I find any.
I was just looking a bit
Seems like a lot of belts available.
I suspect something else might fit:idea:

I'm obsessed with my Gates CB77. Super lucky as it came with a 16" Micropoise arm. Look at the specs. Inner hub drive, with only a 600rpm motor. Meaning the lowest rumble of any broadcast table. These are findable at decent prices, if patient. I also having several ROK's.
Just can't express my love for the 77.

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_194733193.jpg
    IMG_20170420_194733193.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 72
Love my Dual 1219. I was fortunate enough to find one in pristine condition. When set up properly, I'm amazed that a fully automatic changer can sound this good. I love all the gears and what-nots this thing has, reminds me of a Rube Goldberg device.

What about the Garrard Zero 100 S ? I picked one up recently for little money. Very good looking TT with the unusual parallel tracking arm and stroboscope window for checking pitch.

View attachment 1026033

Fabulous turntable and as you've noticed, a real good looker.

Found one two years ago, fixed it, traded it, regretted it. Got another now that's about 90% there. Just a little more cleaning/lubrication of the function switches and it'll be golden.

The most disappointing part of them is the faux wood base and two piece dustcover. Horrible designs.

The second one I found has a base finished in stainless steel and a one piece cover with a spring loaded strut to keep it open. Original lid is blue but too far gone for polishing. Will be getting a smoked one replicated when the table is done.

I love idler drives. Direct drives too, well some of them anyway.

I was just looking a bit
Seems like a lot of belts available.
I suspect something else might fit:idea:
It's a very different material used in this belt. Thin silicone type material, somewhat stretchy and a pale yellowish greenish color. There are belt manufacturers who can make a one off belt for me but I would have to send them mine to look st and quite frankly like "if it doesn't come back, you may have just bet your favorite turntable".
I think that if I had a contact in Asia where it was manufactrered, there has to be some somewhere.
Thanks for your help.

My main table is a Thorens TD-160 belt drive, but I still keep a Dual 1009 SKII in a second (all-early-70s) system. The Thorens has authority, detail, balance, no rumble - all those "audiophile" thingies. But the Dual has a nice quality that is fun to listen to. PRAT, I guess they call it. And some details, like xylophones in loud big orchestral recordings, sound SO lifelike.
The only other idlers I know are a Garrard Type A that I have in a console, which has a not-so-good tonearm (and which doesn't take modern cartridges very easily), and a Dual 1225, which I sold because I didn't like it as much as the 1009.
Hope that helps.

My vote goes to the Lenco for several reasons. Firstly they're relatively cheap and plentiful, at least in the UK and Europe. In the US they seem quite available although some were branded Bogen and seem more common than Lencos over there. Secondly they're fine straight out of the box, obviously depending on condition, but they're easily serviced and parts are available.Thirdly they're easily upgradeable. Using the Lenco as a base you can upgrade it to the nth degree with mods that are well proven or you can experiment with plinth materials, tonearms and such.

Obviously there are downsides, the same as everything else, but there are so many enthusiasts about and such a large knowledge base that there usually an answer available without having to look too hard. I'd suggest that you check out http://www.lencoheaven.net/ before making your final decision.

Good luck.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom