If I may, I'd like to ask for help

Atl9s

Hello, all.

I've just made an account, despite lurking andand learn a lot from this website for years, simply to ask for assistance as I am too much of a novice to proceed.

So, my stereo set up consists of a Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver connected to a Behringer A-500 power amplifier that gives life to my Yamaha NS-690's (Mark 1- the originals).

I recently acquired a Onkyo M-282 Power Amplifier ($40) that I'd like to use to power a pair of passive subwoofers I'd like to build since space and funds are limited. The subwoofers kit is
Dayton Audio 6-1/2" Down Firing Passive Mini Subwoofer Kit from Parts-Express. I mostly want the two subwoofers to add to the low frequencies as my Yamahas don't output much for live concerts, symphonies, soundtracks, hip-hop/rap, rock, etc. They're not completely lacking, they're just not as immersive when it comes to bass compared to their phenomenal (in my opinion) mid and high range frequencies.

So, my question

How do I set up the Onkyo and subwoofers to my current systems so that the subwoofers have the exact same signal the loudspeakers are receiving. Basically use the subwoofers to take charge of the low frequencies my Yamahas can't muster. I want them to be in tune so that the subwoofers metaphorically disappear.

Attachments

• 20190317_185257_HDR.jpg
    20190317_185257_HDR.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 26
If you really want the subs to receive "the exact same signal" you'll need preamp outputs for both channels. It might make more sense to split the (probably mono) subwoofer out signal (assuming there's a preamp output for a subwoofer) so you've got low-pass filtering. If you can set it up that way, you can set the front speakers to "large" in the receiver setup menu so they're getting a full-range signal.

Ah, I see... Unfortunately, my Receiver only has one pre-out. May I assume there's no other alternatives?

Do the subs have both line and speaker level connections? Most of those will allow you to feed the sub with one connection from the receiver or amp, and also pass that same signal thru to your primary speakers. You can adjust the bass that's passed using the pass filters built into the sub. The volume control on the sub should just match the sub's output to those of the front channels, and those are still controlled using the receiver or amp's volume control.

With multiple subs, you can split a line level signal to feed all of them. Bit more complicated using speaker levels as you may end up with impedance issues.

Well, these are DIY subwoofers from a kit on Parts-Express. Dayton Audio 6-1/2" Down Firing Passive Mini Subwoofer Kit, to be exact. I'd have to get everything else separately. I was just going to get a typical terminal and power them using my other power amplifier, an Onkyo M-282. Shall I rethink my plans?

Yes, just buy two Y splitters that will allow the use of two runs of interconnects to the + and - inputs at each sub from the single pre amp output of the Onkyo.

"Yes, just buy two Y splitters that will allow the use of two runs of interconnects to the + and - inputs at each sub from the single pre amp output of the Onkyo"

Unfortunately, the Onkyo power amplifier has no pre outputs. Just audio in and out RCA in/outputs. My Yamaha RX-V650 receiver does have pre-outs but only one Front pre-out. My idea is to keep my Behringer A-500 connected to the pre-out on the Yamaha receiver so as to power my NS-690 loudspeakers and somehow connect my Onkyo M-282 power amplifier into the mix to power a pair of DIY passive subwoofers that I want to implement into my system in order to full out the low end frequencies.

I just took a look at the rear panel of that Yamaha and it appears to have pre outs for the
Front/ Center/ Surrounds/Sub so you should be able to use the Front pre outs with a splitter, assuming it allows for a Stereo or 2 channel mode to allow full frequencies. If the receiver is flexible enough it should work from what I am seeing.

Last edited:
I just took a look at the rear panel of that Yamaha and it appears to have pre outs for the
Front/ Center/ Surrounds/Sub so you should be able to use the Front pre outs with a splitter, assuming it allows for a Stereo or 2 channel mode to allow full frequencies. If the receiver is flexible enough it should work from what I am seeing.

Ah, so use a splitter on the front pre-outs to connect both amplifiers... I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you kindly!!! That sounds like it'll work! I'll come back with updates on whether it worked flawlessly or not. I do hope it doesn't cause any unwanted hums/hiss. Once again, thank you kindly, I very much appreciate your willingness to help!

Dayton's also got inexpensive plate amplifiers that have all the features I mentioned earlier. Just build a box and slap it in.

Dayton's also got inexpensive plate amplifiers that have all the features I mentioned earlier. Just build a box and slap it in.

RemoWilliams kindly instructed me with an alternative. That said, would you recommend I simply get some plate amplifiers? My main goal is to have the subwoofers take over the low frequencies completely and disappear so it seems like my loudspeakers are the ones producing the bass.

Some home theater receivers will allow one to use a sub on the two channel setting, the older Denon AVR 1907 I use in my bedroom setup has this feature, I simply use the sub out to a Paradigm 10" sub woofer along with a pair of Boston Acoustic 3 way speakers to watch movies and listen to music via the internet. If you have such a feature on the Yamaha then you could go that route with two powered subs and use a splitter to send the signal to the two subs, certainly less complicated if possible.

Should have checked fist, here is your answer:Yamaha-Rx-V650.html

Back
Top Bottom