I'm conflicted - is my system 'worth' a good turntable?

No problem, hope it works out.

Google finds quite a few of these TD160/Grace 707 combos. I know the arm was a popular choice for early Linn Sondeks, too. You may want to revisit that armboard while you're at it, looks homemade to me. Where are the mounting screws? I hope that's not glued, as well!

Vinyl Nirvana here in my neck of the woods has sold a few 160s with properly installed 707 arms and the photos can still be found, for reference. Here is one: https://vinylnirvana.com/thorens-td-160-mkii-wnos-grace-707-tonearm

OK so I can see a TD160 / Grace arm board online for 39 GBP so that's not too bad if required (and would look pretty nice too I suppose). I will have a closer look at how the arm is mounted on my TD now that I've decided to get into it a bit further. I think my arm looks to hang off the side of the board a bit too - I wonder if someone messed around here due to the odd geometry introduced by having a botched ADC shell on the Grace arm.....

The mounting location looks okay to me, that’s apparently what the Grace geometry requires. The board should be made with an extended top layer, though, to hide that offset a little better. A common trick with longer arms, e.g. Rega, on the TD160.

The mounting location looks okay to me, that’s apparently what the Grace geometry requires. The board should be made with an extended top layer, though, to hide that offset a little better. A common trick with longer arms, e.g. Rega, on the TD160.

OK well that's good news, in a way at least :) I see what you mean about the extended top layer - at the moment, if the armboard / platter are gently pressed down on the suspension, a gap clearly opens up between the armboard and top plate. If the armboard had the extended top layer, that gap would be hidden beneath.

OK well that's good news, in a way at least :) I see what you mean about the extended top layer - at the moment, if the armboard / platter are gently pressed down on the suspension, a gap clearly opens up between the armboard and top plate. If the armboard had the extended top layer, that gap would be hidden beneath.

The original armboard didn't overhang either, might interfere with the suspension.

The original armboard didn't overhang either, might interfere with the suspension.

Well I see what you mean actually, looking at pictures of TD160s with standard Thorens arms anyway. They did have a nicer plate on top of the arm board which mine doesn't have though.

It doesn’t. This is a turntable we’re talking about, not a motorcycle. The suspension doesn’t move that much.

Those boards are a common and viable option for installing a longer tonearm than the factory item.

Most likely could find a new toplate for the armboard, take pics when the new arm arrives.

Last edited:
Most likely could find a new toplate for the armboard, take pics when the new arm arrives.

Yep will do. I've got my arm stripped down ready for the donor when it arrives. Just a matter of reconnecting the arm loom, secure the lift platform, attach weight and install cartridge :)

You're where the rubber meets the road ... the Thorens even with the AR and Ortofon is an excellent choice that will be resolving the detail that your other components will be masking. If you upgrade your speakers and pre-amplifier, you'll be glad that you purchased the Thorens...
A system is only as good as it's weakest link /// You're beginning with quality. Improve the downstream chain..

(I've never heard the Teac so that's qualified advice, but the pre-amp really affects the sound of a vinyl system.
Swap in a couple of different borrowed pre-amps, make sure that one of them is a truly high quality preamp, and listen for the results)

Last edited:
You're where the rubber meets the road ... the Thorens even with the AR and Ortofon is an excellent choice that will be resolving the detail that your other components will be masking. If you upgrade your speakers and pre-amplifier, you'll be glad that you purchased the Thorens...
A system is only as good as it's weakest link /// You're beginning with quality. Improve the downstream chain..

(I've never heard the Teac so that's qualified advice, but the pre-amp really affects the sound of a vinyl system.
Swap in a couple of different borrowed pre-amps, make sure that one of them is a truly high quality preamp, and listen for the results)

Could definitely build a killer system around the Thorens/Grace combination.

I'm sure that's possible but it's a challenge in the tiny and overpriced market known as New Zealand :)

That's why I said "borrow" ... Once you've heard what's possible then you have a target to shoot at when you apply the inevitable budget ...
And in my experience, you can get amazing sound on a budget... Especially with Chi-fi and used gear.
It's entirely possible to get to 90-95% on a budget. It's that last 5-10% of ultimate hair-raising realism that sucks up all the money !!

The budget path that I would follow is a good chi-fi preamp, then a set of quality used speakers, and then mess with amps that suit the speakers that you ended up with ..

Last edited:
Are vintage Kenwood amps available? If so the KA-4006 is a schveet little amp for very little money. Not a powerhouse but sufficient power for most applications. Has a nice punchy character that works well with the Klipsch house sound.

That's why I said "borrow" ... Once you've heard what's possible then you have a target to shoot at when you apply the inevitable budget ...
And in my experience, you can get amazing sound on a budget... Especially with Chi-fi and used gear.
It's entirely possible to get to 90-95% on a budget. It's that last 5-10% of ultimate hair-raising realism that sucks up all the money !!

The budget path that I would follow is a good chi-fi preamp, then a set of quality used speakers, and then mess with amps that suit the speakers that you ended up with ..

Thanks for the advice, I can certainly look into chi-fi options but borrowing isn't going to happen - mainly because I don't know anyone to borrow anything from :)

Hi all,

I'd like to know how you guys feel about investing a considerable amount of money into a turntable when perhaps the rest of your system just isn't 'up to it'.

Specifically, I'm talking about the Thorens TD160 I just acquired. Even though I got it for ridiculously little money, the arm (a Grace 707) needs repairing or replacing and the cartridge (possibly a Garrott P77i) needs a stylus. The Thorens itself needs a little cosmetic work but nothing major.

My dilema is - I know my system is not, in any way, 'high end' and neither are my ears. I could sell the Thorens and buy any number of very adequate (or indeed very good) Japanese direct drive turntables, most likely in a ready-to-go state. Buying parts for the Thorens and getting it up to scratch is going to be something of a financial stretch for me and I'm wondering if it's all worth it. I would love to have that one piece that I know I would never have the ability, or desire, to replace but I'm struggling to justify it.

Your collective wisdom is welcomed to help me decide which path to take !
Get a quality turntable so when you get a better system it’s useful. I cannot afford a turn table right now but want one someday. Top quality audio supposedly for music .
I have onkyo 818 it’s a powerhouse you can get it or similar models cheap used . Much cheaper then $700+ I paid new.:(:banana:
I doubt anyone is broker then me 5 years since My last job ,it’s hard to find a job during a Great Depression :dunno:. Record numbers out of labor force :lurk:

Thanks for the advice, I can certainly look into chi-fi options but borrowing isn't going to happen - mainly because I don't know anyone to borrow anything from :)

I always use the try before you buy, stores or mail-order in the States, but don't know what's available in New Zealand...
Good way to audition things in your system, in your room ..
A lot of Chi-fi is a copy of something so you can audition the original or something similar.
The price of some new Cinese electronics is amazing. I prefer new electronics because the internal electronic components go out of spec over time, and older electronics often sound woefully unlike they did when new. Speakers, turntables, and cartridges are mechanical devices and IMO age more gracefully than the electronics, or their wear is just visibly more obvious than the electronics.

Last edited:
Are your records worth one? Not trying to be a smart-ass, just pointing out that records take a lot more investment, both in money and effort, than comparable digital. If you don't have many to play, maybe good enough is just that.

Are your records worth one? Not trying to be a smart-ass, just pointing out that records take a lot more investment, both in money and effort, than comparable digital. If you don't have many to play, maybe good enough is just that.

A very good point and one that is part of the conflict to be honest. I have mostly vg / vg+ vinyl, having just purged some of the worst. I'm at about 200 titles now and would regularly listen to maybe half that. I'm thinking yeah, they're probably worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom