I'm not a tube guy, but...

Those tubes might be worth more than the radio. Love those balloon tubes.

I bought an Atwater-Kent 20 for cheap because it came with a complete set of Cunningham CX-301a tubes. I was able to fix the radio, but the tubes were worth more than the box they came in. Guessing that one had the same fault my AK did, bum interstage transformer. That one center rear is not mid 20s vintage. I got lucky with the AK, it's transformers were "canned", and the replacement transformers were small enough to hide in the original cans once I emptied them out.

I live in Melbourne. Shop at Tedco on occasion. Ted, the owner, has been in business for over 50 years, but maybe not much longer. Not only his age, but the internet is killing his business. According to Ted he's the last (brick and mortar - my words) electronics store in the state. (There are some electronics recycling places but they aren't in the same category.) I talked to him about whether the demise of Radio Shack had helped and he clearly indicated that it just pushed the rest of the customers to the internet and that the few customers he has left are mostly buying small parts. I imagine that's to avoid the shipping costs. It is regrettable as he and his business have been a local treasure. Melbourne is a small town and we've been lucky to have him in such a small market.

One thing the OP didn't post is that to the right of that tube tester in his shop is a room for selling vintage stereo equipment. I've purchased a few items in the past couple of years from that room including a Marantz 2220B and a Dual 1226 TT. His prices are fair. He also has a repair business in that shop including for vintage tube equipment on occasion. According to Ted he has over 1000 tubes in inventory. He does get some traffic from Ham operators and yearly they have an annual Hamfest in town about a mile from his shop.

I initially used the tube tester in the photo a year or two ago, but I now have my own - a Knight KG600B that I refurbed.I remember that some of the sockets are loose and I needed to hold some of my tubes to get a good contact while testing them. I found a couple of bad ones that day with that tester. Oh memories!

Note that I am not affiliated. I'm just a customer.

In regards to the radio, Ted said that it works, but the day he was trying to show me and a friend it wouldn't start up.

I wouldn't part out a complete antique like that, but I know what was meant about the value of the tubes. For now it has a place at Tedco as a conversation piece, but after that it's best left to a collection where it can be appreciated.

BTW, in Ted's vintage stereo room he has a Polk LF-14 sitting in the corner hiding behind other items. He didn't really know what it is. It's a very rare early low-frequency center channel sub-woofer kind of speaker. Rather looks like an RTA-12 without the tweeter on top. It's still sitting there.

Honestly that type of tube are only really useful in a 20s battery radio. I suppose someone must have designed an eclectic hifi thing around them but no commercial designs that I'm aware of used them for anything. The 01a family stopped being used for new builds by the end of the 20s. Prices on 3 dialers are not exactly rising these days.

Back
Top Bottom