Infinity SSW-210 question

MFaughn

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have an SSW-210 that has drivers with part number 902-5861 in them. There is no place on these speakers for servo feedback. The only wires from the amp to the drivers are the normal speaker wires. There is a header on the board with nothing connected to it. Might these actually be non-original drivers? I'm pretty darned sure they are Infinity drivers but maybe someone replaced the originals with these and ditched the servo feedback?

The servo can be attached to the cone and the entire assembly may have been removed, are there wires from the amp board for the servo that are just hanging?

OK, thanks. That answers that question.

I guess my next question is if these woofers are then sort of dependent of either being driven by the amp that was designed to work with them rather than some standard plate amp (e.g. BASH)? I guess the other option would be to put them in different box after measuring the T/S params using a woofer tester but I don't want to mess with that at all. The Infinity amp is not looking good, board really brown from heat. Might be time to part out the drivers?

There are repair places on eBay that will repair the amp for a fairly reasonable price - I'd start there (if you don't someone mentioning this model specifically, search for subwoofer repair service and then contact the various sellers and see if they'd be willing to tackle this amp and what they'd charge. The last time I looked into it, it was around $150). This was a > $1000 sub when released, I'd say it's worth investing the money. Even if you don't want to get the amp repaired, I think you'd be better off keeping the woofers in the cabinet and running them off a foreign amp than trying to repurpose them.

I had an SSW-212. These are not servo, just a simple plate amp, read the box carefully and you'll see that they don't claim true servo.

The drivers are pretty decent in the 12, and I would expect the 10 to be the same. After two amp failures (heat) I sold mine (got good money!). It was a decent HT subwoofer but IMO too boomy and flabby for music.

The 12s were IIRC 8 Ohm nominal, so driving from an external amp or aftermarket plate amp would have been feasible. I just never loved the sound enough to mess with it.

Edwards Electronics in Mesa AZ repairs them. I’ve sent them several and been very happy. (You only need to send in the plate amp portion which can easily be removed from the box; nonetheless, shipping is pretty steep due to weight). I like these subs a lot. Though they don’t really go as low as claimed, the bass is very tight and well-controlled. The long box and shape factors make them more adaptable than the standard cube shape, and the response and sound signature change subtlely depending on how they are positioned - (on end, on large long surface, or - with the optional end-plates - on narrow surface down, facing down.). The end plates (optional when this speaker came out) are just wooden squares bolted to each end - which can be simply fashioned by anyone with basic woodworking skills.

Back
Top Bottom