Insignia vs. Sony SS-K30ED--One year later

Thomas

About a year ago, shortly after the brouhaha over the Insignia speakers began, Circuit City started a close-out sale of the Sony SS-K30ED speakers. I picked up a pair of the Sony's ($60 delivered) and immediately compared them to the Insignias. In short, there was really no comparison...the Insignias were far from perfect but still sounded much better to my ears.

Much has been written in the past about the Insignias, but it might be helpful to review the background of the Sony's...

With the advent of Sony's SACD format, Sony wanted a speaker line worthy of the extended fidelity/range of the format. As the story goes, Sony contracted/consulted with a "famous" UK speaker firm (believed to be either B&W or KEF) and came out with the SS-KED speaker line. The "30" version I have is a 2-way, bass reflex design with a 6-1/2" Aramid woofer and a 1" carbon dome tweeter. The stated frequency range is 45 Hz-70 kHz (not a misprint) and the original list price was around $300-$400 for the pair.

Straight out of the box, the Sony's sounded terrible to me...thin overall sound, strident highs, harsh mid-range, and minimal bass. A/B'ing them with the Insignias was almost a joke. After about 50 hours, both speaker sets started sounding better to me but I couldn't determine whether this was physical truth or "all in my head." Nonetheless, the Insignia's still out-classed the Sony's (regardless of the amp/receiver (Pioneer, Yamaha, Technics, Harman-Kardon (all SS), music type (jazz, rock, classical), or source (CD, tape, FM, satellite).

I've now got several hundred hours on the two sets of speakers (not really listening to them, just playing them in a far room of the house from time to time), and things have changed... I began noticing as the months went by that the Sony's started sounding better, equalling, then passing the Insignia's in sound quality (to my ears). This with the same physical placement and the same receiver (a vintage Pioneer SX-850). I wasn't sure whether this was "real" or just my imagination so I took several receivers and speakers down to a room that would be close in physical size and configuration to my daughter's apartment living room (for whom I was assembling a system). I can only say, "What a difference a year makes..."

I remember reading somewhere that the Sony's needed up to a couple of hundred hours before they came into their own...I'm not sure why...but after several days of testing I can only conclude that something definitely happened to make the Sony's sound better. Gone was the thin, chintzy, almost irritating highs, edgy mids, and weak bass. Now the highs were very detailed and smooth, the mids present but not overwhelming, and the bass nicely defined and with good transient response...it was like listening to a different set of speakers.

Compared to the Insignias, the mids and highs were much more detailed; the soundstage twice as large; and the bass better defined. The Sony's also had a very desirable (to me) "airiness" that was absent in the Insignias. The dispersion of the highs was very noticeable in that the walls parallel to the listening area would direct sound so that a, for example, cymbal crash would almost sound behind me. Imaging, a strong point, in my mind, of the Insignia's was even better with the Sony's. The Sony's also have the tendency to disappear; that is, I can close my eyes and the whole wall seems to be filled with musicians...nice.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the sound of the Insignia's (especially considering what I paid for them) but, at least for the samples I have, they can't compare any longer to the Sony's.

When I first bought and tried the Sony's, I kicked myself for wasting 60 bucks; now, I'm kicking myself for not buying two pairs...

GT

I took my pair of Insignia's to work one night last week along with an Adcom tuner/preamp and a PL 400II amp. I cranked them at around 2/3 on the volume knob for a few hours in the 50' x 90' shop just to see how much abuse they could take. I was trying to destroy them but they still work. I'm not saying they're the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but they took an awful lot of punishment that night.

I just noticed today (Sunday morning) that they are on sale again at BB for $59, $25 off their new regular price. Definitely worth it, in my mind, compared to others in that price range.

When I first bought and tried the Sony's, I kicked myself for wasting 60 bucks; now, I'm kicking myself for not buying two pairs...GT

Thomas,
This is a typical Sony experience !
Welcome to the club - and now go and try more Sonys :yes:.

The bigger Sonys sound interesting (SS-K90ED & SS-K70ED). The next time I'm driving by Circuit city I might stop in and take a listen.

Gonzo,

My local CC hasn't had any of this line of Sony's for probably a year. They did have a pair of the "90" versions about a year ago but they didn't sound good at all to me at CC. If I recall, they were being closed out at $200 a pair (and they were there for months). Whoever ended up buying them is probably patting himself on the back about now if his experience was similar to mine.

OT: Noticed your "drive 55" sig. I remember in the '70's when the national speed limit was 55 mph; it made the world seem saner and less hectic. Bought a used VW diesel Beetle about a month ago and am averaging 53 mpg at 70-73 mph on the highway, 700+ miles to the tank, even on the new ultra low sulphur fuel. Honda, Nissan, BMW, etc. are coming out with diesels next year...half the cars in Europe are diesels where fuel is $6-$7/gallon...a change is coming...

GT

"Carjacked"...at first I chuckled, then thought "Oh-oh." I guess I've been very pleasantly surprised by both a pair of speakers and a car this past month and lost my head; my apologies...now to delete the post about speakers on the diesel website...

Admin: Feel free to delete this and the "carjacked" post.

GT

Sadly my local CC didn't have a single Sony speaker of any kind. I can live w/o a pair thanks to recent finds (ADS L9e and B&W DM220) but the extended response tweeter piqued my interest.

Just as a final word on the "Drive 55" sig, I remembered how the speed limit was rolled back to 55 in the 70s and how much gas that saved the country. Since the chances of a similar change today is nil, I thought a personal pledge to slow down might catch on. I admit I don't always stick to the pledge but I can always tell when I fall off the wagon.

re: 55 mph

Remember John Maynard Keynes' Law of Temporal Horizons - "In the long run, we're all dead."

Transportation is there to save us time so faster is better. I've got better things to do than cruise down the freeway at 55 - like pay for speeding tickets!

Ss K30ed

Mine sound better than that. I stiffened the cabinets and covered with formica. Bass is much more accurate and they sound great.

Imagine my surprise when an idle search for SSX30ED a few months ago turned up a batch at CC. I bought 3 more pair online, I think it was 80 a pair shipped free.

The SSk10ED sounds just as nice with a bit less bass.

Both are slightly muddy to me with stock cabs.

Breakin for a week - put out of phase, face to face and turn it up and let play for a week.

The insignias are fine for 60 a pair new, the sony's are far more valuable.

Glad the sony's came out on top cause the Insignias..... well I snagged a pair and a Yamaha ht receiver for summer listening while vacationing on Cape Ann. After two nights I swung down to beantown and picked up a little pair of paradigms floor models cheap. The Insignias are not even close. At any price.

Back
Top Bottom