Interesting: All-In-One Ultrasonic Cleaner (Kirmuss)

I got mine yesterday. I didn't follow the directions. I wet my LP then added the ethylene glycol spray. Nothing came from the grooves. But I always rinse my records when cleaning.

Today I will follow the directions exactly and see what happens.

BTW, I am convinced that ultrasonic is the way. It does get into the grooves in a way other cleaning doesn't.

Following the directions and there is white stuff coming out of the grooves, this is a Donovan Open Road I just purchased used. I need to get my new cartridge set up to do any listening so it will be a couple of days.

More later, less sooner.

Last edited:
Mid day report. The new to me Donovan kept stirring up white stuff. I gave up after 5 scrubs. However my Love Over Gold English pressing only needed 3 scrubs to be clean. My Fairport Convention What We Did On Our Holiday is on its 4th scrub.

I can see I need to order some polypropylene glycol and make my own cleaner.

The fluid is only heated by the ultrasonic transducers.

Last edited:
After meeting Dr Kirmuss and a few denonstrations of the cleaning technique I took the plunge and ordered one
I'll report back when I'm up and running

Cool.

A VPI HW-16 has served me well for thirty five years. :)

I've had my 16.5 since about 1994. It has served well but the ultrasonic cleaners reach stuff that the VPI can't. I'll report on sonic changes when my cartridge is set up.

Doesn't sound like it's working too well. Perhaps I am mis-interpreting.

Sounds like you are misinterpreting. After three scrubs one album was not producing foam. Some have a lot more residue on them. The system does get stuff out of the grooves that my VPI didn't.

Last edited:
I'd say having to go thru three scrubs is not working as well as expected. I only need one cleaning cycle in my US setup but have no experience with the unit your using so perhaps it's working as designed. Either way glad to hear it's working out for ya.

Why would it not work as expected?
If you run a record thru this machine it appears clean.
When you apply cleaning fluid and repeat the washing it still appears clean but is noticeably quieter and more cycles will enhance the this effect,.
This is clearly demonstrable by digiting before and after results, viewing and comparing the spectrograph for both samples.

So, mine arrived this afternoon and my wife thinks it looks like a cat bath.
Put cat in, close the lid, run a cycle, carefully remove lid and the cat will auto eject.
I found that quite amusing
I'll get up and running tomorrow and report back.

I wonder what the white stuff is sluffing off the Donovan LP. That doesn't make sense that it would require multiple cleanings to get whatever it is to dislodge from the surface. How long is it running and are you heating the water?

Who knows what's been used to clean that album ad what it left there?
From what I saw in the two hands on demos for the Kirmuss, the white stuff is surface contaminates.
Multiple cleaning passes will show reduction in white stuff, when the record is clean, no more white stuff like Love over Gold which is now clean.
How does LOG sound after cleaning?
I'm not running till tomorrow but will report back then.

Out of the thousands I have cleaned in my US system, none have produced any white stuff. I also make my own cleaning solutions and none of it has polypropylene glycol as an ingredient. I am wondering if your units are brand new, there may be some manufacturing residue that is been loosened up while you're cleaning your first batches. I'd also wonder about the cleaning solution and its chemistry.

Put cat in, close the lid, run a cycle, carefully remove lid and the cat will auto eject.
I just wish it could eject the little rascal a bit further, like into orbit. I guess we'll keep using the washing machine... ;)

I've watched the Kirmuss vids, including the one with Framer. Meh... I didn't like the white smock. It doesn't add to the credibility of the extensive research claim and the way he zig zags between fungi and release agent as an explanation for the continuous white soap on Framer's album doesn't inspire too much confidence in me. Kill me, but I don't get why on earth he needs to use that anti freeze in the mix. Whatever that white soap is - it's definitely a reaction to the polypropylene glycol, but it does seem to diminish with every cycle so... I really wish I could believe the guy. He fails to convince me and I really want to be convinced. He should have explained the chemistry better b/c in his presentation, it sure looks like voodoo.

On the bright side 35Khz seems reasonably harmless to me. Plus... He mentions US technology is basically for cleaning jewelry and it needs to be applied differently for cleaning vinyl. He seems pretty aware that multiple cleaning cycles in a machine isn't what most of us want or looking for, yet he insists it's required and that it's the proper way. This isn't serving him too well marketing wise so I'm thinking maybe he's on to something.

In light of this... I'd be following your comments and reviews. Please keep them coming.

Out of the thousands I have cleaned in my US system, none have produced any white stuff. I also make my own cleaning solutions and none of it has polypropylene glycol as an ingredient. I am wondering if your units are brand new, there may be some manufacturing residue that is been loosened up while you're cleaning your first batches. I'd also wonder about the cleaning solution and its chemistry.
I also have never witnessed any white stuff coming out of the grooves. I have seen a white stuff come out of my finger if I put it in the tank. I use that method to ensure the US transducers are still working properly.

Dip a small piece of aluminum foil in the tank, hold for about 10 seconds, and the cavitations will knock some fine holes into the foil due to its thinness.

As for the polypropylene glycol, I don't add it to my list of ingredients, as I have excellent results with the triton, Hepastat, IPA, and distilled water mix.

Back
Top Bottom