Isn't everything really subjective as far as speakers?

Keldog

Take away the specs and fancy acoustic testing, what do you really have? Did Henry Kloss design his speakers in my house? Does (fill in your favorite/iconic sound engineer) really know what sounds incredible in every imaginable (and unimaginable) environment by every imaginable amplification product? I'm not against suggestions, but, man!, it seems like a lot of love/hate for this or that speaker.

I haven't heard a lot of love for Pioneer CS-06's, but in my living room, they are perfect for my listening pleasure. They are aesthetically pleasing and sound good for my tastes. I have many other speakers that sound awesome......to me.

My tastes.....Infrequent, classic rock with my wife. I never just sit and listen to an album. It is usually background music while doing something else. I'm not sitting still so placement is meaningless. She is partially deaf from too many front row seats at 80s hair concerts. I'm just old and my hearing isn't perfect so what do I know?

I thrill in finding old speakers and just making them sound better or reviving them.

My bottom line....Is anyone really an authority on the best sounding speaker for someone else's taste, experience and, most importantly, ability? I'm colorblind, so, I can't see what you see. I'm also convinced you don't hear what I hear.

The goal is to find the best overall well rounded speaker that is accurate and as detailed as you like it. They are meant for enjoyment in the end.

Specs and reviews can narrow the search, but only you know what sounds best.

Then again, there was a time I couldn't imagine listening without a loudness button engaged, or a smiley faced eq. Learning curve and appreciating subtlety plays a role.

Specs and reviews can narrow the search, but only you know what sounds best.

Then again, there was a time I couldn't imagine listening without a loudness button engaged, or a smiley faced eq. Learning curve and appreciating subtlety plays a role.

Even before becoming a member I've always valued your opinion/comments....Probably the avatar...

We need the specs to match the equipment to the speakers, if we like them or not is subjective. However if you not using the specs to match them to your equipment right, you might not really be hearing the speakers correctly.

Also a subjective opinion is only based of ones own reference point. In short, if you only heard crap, crap might sound great to you.

Even before becoming a member I've always valued your opinion/comments....Probably the avatar...

Haha, flattered, bro! I do attempt to share what I've learned here. As for Mr. Kilmister, well, what can be said about that legend?? Most don't realize this, but he was an incredible wordsmith. His lyrics are profound. Well, sometimes they are.

We need the specs to match the equipment to the speakers, if we like them or not is subjective. However if you not using the specs to match them to your equipment right, you might not really be hearing the speakers correctly.

Also a subjective opinion is only based of ones own reference point. In short, if you only heard crap, crap might sound great to you.

This.

I certainly will never disparage someone's place in the audio chain, but I think I implied as much with my own experiences.

Like I had stated, the loudness button was gospel for me for 20 years. Now, I never ever use it. Ever. And that gorgeous eq I bought from Ron, aka Northwinds?? Haven't even turned it on, I just found it beautiful. So, expensive night light, lol.

Your reference point changes as you experience various levels of quality, (quality NOT being objective in a broad sense. Good build characteristics and good parts usually beats cheap stuff.......but cheap stuff designed well can create a real overachiever).

I suspect I'd love ribbon tweeters, but have never heard any. Same with electrostats.

I guess what I'm saying is get out there and hear as many speakers/systems as you can. AKFest 2008 let me realize just how much more was out there.

Man, I miss those events.

I guess what I'm saying is get out there and hear as many speakers/systems as you can.
Yeah or just try the stuff at home in your own space.
How many threads have you seen me start asking others what would be good for my system or a recommendation to buy something?

I also never recommend speakers to anyone. If a thread is asking about that, I will look at their equipment and try to get them to think about a match in power, reserve power and headroom. What brand or typ speaker they get after that I could care less about.

Obviously our ears are ours alone, and what we like is what we like.
Until we change our minds. But as soon as you ask others' opinions, then objective facts become important, not because they change what we hear, but they should change how we talk about it. Talking should be about communication, not simply as a nice warm group hug, but as a way of transmitting information, and so the words we use need to have actual specific meaning.
'I like what I like and I like this.' may have some value to other people, since it says you like it, but it gives no reason for the liking, and no insight into how to hear what it is you like. So most of us will acknowledge that objective measurements point to real things, and that there are concrete factors beyond the specific component such as the room, source, or system, that may affect how it sounds, even if they are not determinative of what sounds real or good to us.

My bottom line....Is anyone really an authority on the best sounding speaker for someone else's taste, experience and, most importantly, ability? I'm colorblind, so, I can't see what you see. I'm also convinced you don't hear what I hear.

I don't think anyone is really an "authority" for someone else's preferences but people can help recommend what may work based on ones preferences.
Its fine if you enjoy the thrill of finding/reviving old speakers but in your case, I feel it would be hard for others to recommend speakers when you say you just use them for background music and placement isn't an issue. Personally, I wouldn't bring new speakers into my home if I couldnt properly set them up and sit my butt in the sweet spot so I can listen to them the way they were designed to be. To each their own though, like you said...if it sounds good to you then it sounds good to you.

Personally, I wouldn't bring new speakers into my home if I couldnt properly set them up and sit my butt in the sweet spot so I can listen to them the way they were designed to be. To each their own though, like you said...if it sounds good to you then it sounds good to you.

I guess that is my main point. I don't care much about a "sweet spot". Just not a sit still person but I respect and admire those that can simply sit back and enjoy the end result. I'm way too adhd for that.

Haha, flattered, bro! I do attempt to share what I've learned here. As for Mr. Kilmister, well, what can be said about that legend?? Most don't realize this, but he was an incredible wordsmith. His lyrics are profound. Well, sometimes they are.

I'm only a Lemmy fan because of Hawkwind and the participation of a favorite sci-fi writer, Michael Moorcock.

I guess that is my main point. I don't care much about a "sweet spot". Just not a sit still person but I respect and admire those that can simply sit back and enjoy the end result. I'm way too adhd for that.
There's nothing wrong with that, but just realize that the guys that spend big bucks on gear that has great specs and such do so knowing that sitting in that sweet spot is where you really get to see what a nice stereo setup can do. Things like stereo imaging, soundstage, depth, and instrument seperation(just to name a few) on a well recorded track is when the music really comes alive. I guess my point is that most of the benefits one gets by using nice, properly set up gear is all for not if you aren't using it as designed.

Back
Top Bottom