I've always wanted some Tannoy.............??

Indynryder

Earlier I bought these components locally. The guy I bought theses from said he got them from a Abercrombie & Fitch store, that went out of business. he had dibbs on them for nothing. The white ones are marked i5T AW-60 and have tone controlls on the front. The passive 10"s have a input and high output. I'm thinking project time! At least for one set. Does anyone know anything about these? I bought them without any foreknowledge, & on a whim. The CL ad had no info, just tannoy speakers for sale. Well, count me in! Any feedback welcome. Thanx, oh yeah here's some pics.

DFCA3294-4552-45BE-B701-2DCAF2D1392A-8565-00000C1D589D836B.jpg

873D1E3E-E3F4-45D1-9F35-641DD6D5D114-8565-00000C1D7D08B1BD.jpg

97873F05-C288-4585-905C-3CA4CE616B3A-8565-00000C1D9193C111.jpg

Cool find. I think it's interesting that the satellites seem to have "dual-concentric" drivers... just like the "big" Tannoys.
So, hook up a pair of the sats & a sub, and tell us how they sound!

...here's a PDF of those all weather speakers I found in a quick search.
http://www.tannoy.com/products/56/i8AW_Colour.pdf

The drivers and crossovers are really nice. I put one into a speaker box and the the results were excellent, vary detailed & balanced sound stage.

I'm a little confused. The picture you show has the drivers still in their cabinets, did you pull some out to use in a different cabinet? I would expect them to sound good as they were, am I missing something?

Those are not the "traditional" dual-concentric drivers- they are "induced tweeter" drivers, where the voice coil of the woofer acts a a primary in a transformer, transferring power to a secondary winding, wound around the tweeter. Hence the "Induced" part of ICT.

Interesting concept, but, IME, not up to the level of the true concentric horn-loaded tweeter drivers in the dual-concentrics. I'd put these up to the level of something like the entry-level KEF Uni-Q drivers, though... not bad, but not state-of-the-art either...

Regards,
Gordon.

It's all fun & games......the price was right , and this keeps me busy till I get the rest of the parts to my jbl L100 restoration project. Thanx GordonW for the education.

Those are not the "traditional" dual-concentric drivers- they are "induced tweeter" drivers, where the voice coil of the woofer acts a a primary in a transformer, transferring power to a secondary winding, wound around the tweeter. Hence the "Induced" part of ICT.

Interesting concept, but, IME, not up to the level of the true concentric horn-loaded tweeter drivers in the dual-concentrics. I'd put these up to the level of something like the entry-level KEF Uni-Q drivers, though... not bad, but not state-of-the-art either...

Regards,
Gordon.
Thanks Gordon. Came across an ad for a pair of these for about $150. I own a pair of 615's (will be sold, replaced by Altec 9849 for living room) but was looking for bedroom speakers on a budget. I have also been considering used B&W like CDM1 (or NT), or even 707. I love the treble air/ extension/decay... the 32b horns on the Altecs spoiled me, and I am grateful to be able to hear at least 17kHz :)
Buuuuuut I also love good imagine from point- source speakers. Decided to try full range (Fostex FE107) but the high frequency isn't there. Was hoping to go efficient full range with SET eventually, but looks like that might not be for me. As someone whose input I value, so you have any suggestions? FWIW, unless something changes I'll be using a Jolida integrated hybrid amp, either JD1301 or the bigger JD1501BRC. Currently running NHT Super Zeros but the high end isn't there for me, along with some other things.
Thanks to you (or anyone else) for your input!
Dean

Back
Top Bottom