JBL 4410a

PhonoJ

Hello,

I found a pair of JBL 4410a's, for $600 Canadian and I'm wondering if they are worth it. I currently have Celestion Ditton 551's which I really like, but I'm always fascinated by the JBL line. I really would like the JBL L112s or the JBL 4312s, but have had no luck finding them for a reasonable price. Anyone know how the 4410a's would compare to the ones I actually want.

I have L100, L112, 4312A, and L96 (also some L80Ts) and larger and smaller JBLs. Many actually prefer the 10-inch-driver versions to the 12s. I think it's all about placement but, yeah, these will play with anything you've mentioned. I think they will outperform the 4312. The 052Ti is a very good tweeter. The similar L96 is one of my favorite speakers and I own over a dozen pairs of JBLs. The "A" versions are not as sought-after since they have that "formica" type of veneer and no L-pad controls, but they actually sound better than the non-As, if you don't care about not having the nice wood veneer. Not sure I'd pay that much for the "A" model if aesthetics were important and the price really should reflect that. Given that your dollar is worth about 3/4 of ours, if these are in good shape I'd say they're worth maybe $400-500 Canadian, at the most. :dunno:

Last edited:
If great condition and you’re confortable at $600CAD, it’s a fair deal but that’s top dollar imo.

There are easily millions of JBL monitors from this time frame still floating around North America.. keep hunting and you’ll score some for under $100.

Thanks for the replies, I have read that the bass from the 4410a is a bit weak, I guess that would be my concern. The bass from my Dittons is pretty great, but I would like something a little tighter sounding maybe. I listened to a set of Altec 15s the other day and I have to say I liked my Ditton 551s better. Any thoughts on the Altec 15 compared to the JBL L line? I have never had the pleasure of hearing the JBL other than online.

Of the above mentioned I had the 4312A, 4412A, and 4410A.

I feel that the 4410A is the most balanced and has the best imaging of all of these. They benefit from a much evolved crossover from the 4312A. The caviat is that I ran my 4410As with my JBL LSR6312SP sub and didn't care about bass below 80Hz, but they have the same cabinets as the 4412A so cabinet resonance is the same, ...

The down-side to the 4400 series is IMO the really cheap plastic-frame grille, most will have cracked frames and/or missing pegs on the frames and the mediocre finish.

I do agree that the market for 10" woofers is significantly less than the market for 12" regardless of sound quality.

. . . but they have the same cabinets as the 4412A so cabinet resonance is the same, ...
Those who profess to prefer the sound of the JBL 10-inch three-ways would say the cabinets are the right size for the tens and too small for the twelves which they would describe as sounding "boxy". I have both and like both, preferring the 12s for the extra bass but only if they are positioned correctly to prevent boundary reinforcement. Remember, these are all considered "book-shelf" speakers or even near-field monitors so get them off the floor![/QUOTE]

I had a pair for a while, they were ok. $600 bones Canadian is too much though.

Of the ten inch JBL's I much preferred the 4313b, better than 4410 and the 4312a I had.

Ymmv.

I would say hold out for the classic 4410 or 4412 instead of the "a" version in utility cabs and no adjustment for tweeter and midrange. The 4410/4412 had real wood veneer and their resale value is higher.

I would need to check to be sure, but pretty sure the A was a different speaker, 052 tweeter and significantly different crossover anyway. I think it's a better speaker, but I agree the cabinets are nothing to brag about.

Back
Top Bottom