JBL L40 restoration project

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hey all, picked up a pair of L40 the other day with the usual rotted foam. I tested the woofers and they check out OK, I just need to pull the tweeters and check those.

The cabinets are pretty good, just a tad dry and a little faded. Grille cloths are good, frames are good.

Its a pity one of the tweeter domes was pushed in though. Being fairly stiff material, it came back out but has a couple of small creases in it.

IMG_20170111_111947.jpg

You're going to love the L40! I was very impressed by the 033 dome tweeter. It is very sweet and smooth sounding. Very different from the JBL paper cone tweeter offerings. I traded them and now have a 4312B with the 035TIA tweeter, but I miss the 033! Naturally, the mid presence is dialed down on the L40 (compared to the 3-way monitor type speakers) You may prefer this!

The L40, like the L19 / 4301 punch way above their weight in the 2-way small bookshelf category. When you're done, let's see the veneers as you've cleaned them up.

Very nice work.

Looks great! I am also quite fond of the 033 tweeter. More accurate than the paper-cone tweeters that came before, but easier to listen to and less harsh than the later Titanium tweeters can be under some circumstances. It's the same 033 that was used in the L110 and L150 so it wasn't just a budget tweeter for low-end models like the 034 for example.

What is the tweeter material? I got wrinkles out of some tweeters that were pushed in by going over them gently with a heat gun. Don't think I'd try that with a fabric dome though.

The tweeter dome material is fairly heavy.
I have the tweet on my L-40 dented in i read some take the diaphragm off and push it from behind.
Not wanting to risk misalignment or damaging the voice coil and after trying to find diaphragms for one that was blown if you can find one.
I just lived with the dent bought another used 033 to replace the bad one.
I bought the L-40's for $10.00 installed new surrounds then had to buy the used tweeter, now i have almost $100.00 L-40's.
But they sound great, these are my first serious set of JBL's.
They do love the power.
My RSL MAx speaker project is almost completed and am impressed with the nice bass and highs as well.

Back
Top Bottom