Just Bought a McIntosh Mac 1700 Receiver, and I've Gotta Tell Ya

Ron13a

Revolver of Vinyl
I Like it. It's between 42 and 47 years old and it sounds pretty damn good! I bought it from a man who inherited it and didn't want it.The wood case was in good condition with a few light stains on top. I don't want it so I stuck it on an auction site. As far as the Mac it's self, all the lights work. All the functions work. The tuner pulls in stations well. I am pleasantly surprised that it's in such great cosmetic and functioning condition. I cleaned the dust off and gave the controls a thorough cleaning with Deoxit. I've been having fun with it. The sound is not dull, but not fatiguing either. It's just enjoyable. I've had opportunities to pick one up in the past and didn't because I heard that they were nothing to write home about. I've heard that from several sources. My experience with this one is very positive so far. I really like it. Is it possible that after so many years that a number of them are just far out of spec and that causes the sound to suffer which leads to the negativity associated with this receiver? Am I just lucky to have one that still sounds fine after all these years? My intention was to simply flip this receiver and make some easy money, but now I don't think so. I think I'll keep it. I've been using it with a nice pair of JBL 4311 monitors with Zilch mods to the crossovers for better sound. I certainly am having a good time with it right now anyway. Here's a picture:

McIntosh%2BMac1700.jpg

Any of you guys have opinions to share about your experiences with the 1700?

I've never heard a MAC 1700 but I have its predecessor, the MAC 1500 with tube amplifier & tuner sections. (Only tuner section is tube on MAC 1700).

MAC 1700 is generally very well regarded and at least one Youtube video shows a 1700 testing at over 60 wpc while still remaining under 1% THD.(IIRC)

Relatively high production more than anything else results lowish market values but is no reflection on the excellent receiver the MAC 1700 is.

My first Mac was the 1700. I still have it. Sound blew me away. I've got four more Mac pieces as a result of getting the 1700. The tuner is quite good, as is the phono input.

My 1700 is also all original; still works without any issues and sounds wonderful. I've had countless 50 watt receivers come and go over the years and the 1700 is the only one to make the grade and stay put. It's fm section is a delight to listen to

Here's a video of the 1700 being tested @ ~ .03% THD at 40 watt. Couldn't find the other video where they tested output a 1% THD.

The Mac 1700 was the piece that addicted me to McIntosh back in the 70's. (A friend had one).
I began with separates not long after, but I added a 1700 to another room in my house about 20 years ago. Like you, it was initially paired with 4311's.
A later had L-100's and now I'm using L-166's with it. In every case, the 1700 sounded great with the JBL's. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.

Back in the the day of the McIntosh clinics, my 1700 would deliver 62w/ch while remaining within specs. My vote would suggest you hold on to it.
I would only assume that you would regret letting it go.

great looking unit! Should give years of enjoyment. I love my 1900 that powers JBL20ts currently. Quickly gets loud in our workout room! And it runs remote set of speakers, AR2axs in my shop. Eventually I will get L19 or make one out of solid walnut.

Thanks for the input guys! I changed my sig to reflect the permanent addition of the 1700.
Mine is running on the warm side, is that normal?

When they came out, the Mac series receivers were rather looked-down upon by the McIntosh owners of the time. I remember stories about why they didn't say "McIntosh" on the front panel which mostly revolved around acceptance by the high-end hi-fi aficionados. It seemed to me to only bring the magic of McIntosh to a larger audience. I always accepted it in the manner of the Ferrari Dino of that era which never wore the name of the founder simply because it didn't use a V12 engine. The last laugh is for those who purchased the 246GT used for less than twelve-grand in the '70s and held on to them until today's market!

Legend had it the old man did not like receivers, therefore insisted receivers be listed under the "McIntosh Audio Company" a/k/a MAC designation rather than the "Laboratory" which ostensibly produced the separates.

Despite products from both divisions having been designed and built under the same roof, by the same people, to the same standards (and sold for McIntosh prices), nevertheless he wanted the distinction made. The MAC 4100 was the first receiver to bear the full McIntosh name, made by "McIntosh Laboratory, Binghamton NY" ...and came out in 1978 - the year after the old man retired from McIntosh. Coincidence? :idea:

Last edited:
Legend had it the old man did not like receivers, therefore insisting receivers be listed under the "McIntosh Audio Company" a/k/a MAC designation rather than the "Laboratory" which ostensibly produced the separates.
What an interesting piece of McIntosh folklore. I never knew this.
Thanks for sharing.

What an interesting piece of McIntosh folklore. I never knew this.
Thanks for sharing.

You may enjoy this as well:

When Mc launched its budget line Stereotech, McIntosh took it a step further in obscuring Stereotech's parentage by listing its address as a PO Box # in Conklin NY - a half mile down the street from Mc's regular address, lest anyone confuse the two companies - heaven forbid.

I had a Mac 1700 a few years back and loved it . Wish I still had it ,what a beautiful receiver . Had my ma230 and was mainly using it and decided to sell the 1700 . I thought the tuner was special .

You may enjoy this as well:

When Mc launched its budget line Stereotech, McIntosh took it a step further in obscuring Stereotech's parentage by listing its address as a PO Box # in Conklin NY - a half mile down the street from Mc's regular address, lest anyone confuse the two companies - heaven forbid.
Too funny. I had forgotten all about Stereotech.
I have to admit, I never knew anyone to ever own one. Can't even remember coming across one one for that matter.

Too funny. I had forgotten all about Stereotech.
I have to admit, I never knew anyone to ever own one. Can't even remember coming across one one for that matter.
I have one in mint condition and it seems to be a well built 50 wpc receiver. The funny thing to me is there is not a single reference to Mcintosh on it anywhere. Kinda like the red-headed step child that Mac would rather forget about:dunno:

I have one in mint condition and it seems to be a well built 50 wpc receiver. The funny thing to me is there is not a single reference to Mcintosh on it anywhere. Kinda like the red-headed step child that Mac would rather forget about:dunno:
How does it sound?

Stereotech 1200 receivers come up on favorite auction site periodically; hardly ever see ST speakers.

By most accounts it's supposed to be a fairly decent receiver - manufactured by Foster Electric of Japan.

Back
Top Bottom