JVC idler drive SRP-471E-5 - any good?

02County

AK Member
It sure looks the part. The guy I bought it from said a rodent got into the innerds and did some damage. There are two, very narrow wires that once ran from the tonearm assembly to the motor and now appear to be missing. I'm going to run it to a local tech but before investing too much in this, wanted to ask if it's any good? From what I gather, JVC didn't do many idlers, which isn't generally a good sign. That said, I have a couple German-made idlers that I love. And this thing is pretty. I'm digging the dangling weight, anti-skating device.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice deck.
I wonder what the second wheel is for?
Looks like its a two wheel drive system, replacing something like the Thorens idler wheel belt drive, with a wheel (for example).

Nice looking TT. I bet that JVC will sing once repairs are made.

I have a standard belt drive from Nivico - maybe a year or two later than that. The build quality is amazingly good. Very much like the early Sansui and Pioneer turntables. Nivico did do a few early idlers, including a changer that showed up in a lot of their higher end consoles. Very rare here in the US as they seem to have had less luck selling stuff here under the Delmonico and Nivico brands, but transitioning to JVC brought them better luck. My turntable is labeled Nivico on the front and JVC Nivico on the back. It was a military PX bring back. During the later Vietnam war period they were common in Viet Nam and Okinawa.

Nice deck.
I wonder what the second wheel is for?
Looks like its a two wheel drive system, replacing something like the Thorens idler wheel belt drive, with a wheel (for example).

From what I read about idler drive turntables, one idler was for 45 and the other for 33.3. This JVC is definitely something you hardly ever see, and this one is in excellent condition.

This was a military bring back. I purchased it from its original owner, who said he purchased it while in the service. Nice guy, he also sold me his Sansui 2000a, which aside from a few pops and scratches, is in excellent condition.

I've dropped the TT off with a tech. I'll post more when I get it back. I did not take any pictures of the cart, which I regret. It's massive.

From what I read about idler drive turntables, one idler was for 45 and the other for 33.3. This JVC is definitely something you hardly ever see, and this one is in excellent condition.

Unless the motor moves, and the wheels stay in a fixed position, this probably not going to happen. The spring is going to draw the attached wheel into the capstan, which, is pulling that wheel inward, away from the platter. But, in the same motion, I can see it drawing it into contact with the other wheel, which is in the current drive position.
I've spent a stupid amount of time studying idler drive design, in redesigning my own driveline, from an older idea drive mechanism. The only way I can see that wheel moving, if not by moving the motor towards the wheel, is by having a two wheel driveline.
I'm totally prepared for a lambasting if I'm wrong, but, I just don't see the geometry aligning correctly any other way.

I got this table back from a local tech - hes a semi professional guy, good dude, but he couldn't quite get it running. I picked up a spare motor from organdonorparts (excellent bunch of dudes) and the tech bent over backwards getting it squared away. He rewired the tonearm, straightened the stylus into something somewhat usable and got it running...sort of... the only issue is that the motor will not start up and running on its own but instead needs a little help. That means removing the platter, placing the turntable in "neutral" - ie between 33 and 45 RPM, an action that pulls the inner idler wheel off of the motor spindle - and then giving the spindle a twist by hand. That gets the spindle running. You then select either 33 or 45 which pushes the inner idler wheel against the motor spindle. The outer idler wheel makes contact with the inner idler and the outer edge of the platter. That's I think the two wheel driveline mfrench was talking about....

Anyone know what might cause this? is it a bad motor or something else that might prevent takeoff?

The speed control on this turntable is new to me as well - the motor spins a steel plate that sits right beneath the platter. The speed control swings a heavy magnet closer/father from the steel plate. The closer it gets, the greater drag it puts on the plate and slower the platter spins.

Here's a couple photos - she's a pretty old thing, I'll say that

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 138
bump - anyone know why a motor would not start up without some help? Do I need to clean/relube? Replace?

Back
Top Bottom