Jvc Ql-a5

noprayer

Just picked one up for 5 bucks at a thrift store. Fairly heavy direct drive that needs a headshell. Is this table any good? It seems pretty well built. The auction site wasnt much help in valuation although there is one up there right now at 20 bucks with a couple of days to go. I'm more interested in the sound quality of this table, so if anyone has an opinion i'd be glad to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Jvc Ql-5

noprayer said:
so if anyone has an opinion i'd be glad to hear it.
I do not have the QL-a5, however, I do have the JVC QL-5 that I am currently using as my daily driver. The QL-5 is a basic table, 33 or 45 and a completely manual arm. I like it. Here is a picture. Does your table look like this?

JVCQL-5.jpg

Last edited:
No more pictures for me

I would post a pic of the turntable but it seems i have reached my limit. It does not look like yours though. Maybe this will work:

2q1b1px.jpg

I think i like it better than the technics i was using. A few more days and some a/b testing will tell all.

JVC made (or re-sold) very decent tt's and also made a few really great ones, like the QL-5. I had a friend back in the ol' days who had one of the big JVC tt's (possibly the QL-5) with a SME arm on it. A righteous combination (as folks used to say).

tcdriver said:
I do not have the QL-a5, however, I do have the JVC QL-5 that I am currently using as my daily driver. The QL-5 is a basic table, 33 or 45 and a completely manual arm. I like it. Here is a picture. Does your table look like this?

35mmzih.jpg

That's what I've got too! Pretty nice TT and not too well appreciated. There was a QL-50 version that was armless so you could put an SME on it - I saw one of these sell on epray a while back.

The QL-A5 is probably auto-start/return TT using a similar motor/platter as the QL-5 but a different arm. If the platter weighs about 4 pounds then it's a good motor. For 5 bucks you did well!

The platter is indeed heavier than all get-out and the quartz lock function is really nice too. Once you have the speed dialed in just hit the switch and the speed stays rock steady.

I have searched and searched for any info on a JVC QL-50 TT. The beautiful picture you posted of you QL-5 is the closest I have ever seen.

I bought mine when I was 16 years old. It has an ADC "Black Widow" tonearm on it, and as your is completely manual.

Is there any more info available on these?

Any help would be appreciated.

I just went back to "gaze" at the picture of the QL-5 and noticed that it does NOT have the strobe on the platter as the QL-50 does.

I wonder if there are other differences.

Strobe

The QL-5 does have a strobe. The strobe does not show in the picture, but, it is there. :yes:

tcdriver said:
The QL-5 does have a strobe. The strobe does not show in the picture, but, it is there. :yes:

Yes, you are correct. I see now that is at the bottom of the platter.

Anyone know the differences between the QL-5 and the QL-50???

Always wondered about those tables. I have heard some good stuff about them, but never have seen or heard one. I am sure interested in learning more.

I have a QL-A7 and a QL-F4. Very underrated TTs. Rock steady quartz-lock speed on both. Set and forget. The QL-A7 is a great semi-automatic: clarity and fine bass detail, and no rumble I can hear. I really prefer a semi-auto TT these days.

The QL-F4 had some speed stability issues when I got it, but I got inside (lots of nylon gears to make the full auto functions work) and lubed it and cleaned all its switches and solved that issue -- kind of cool to set it up to Repeat play a side up to 6 times.

Jvc Ql-5

that's a fine looking table :thmbsp: didn't realise jvc made such decent looking decks...would love to try one in a spare phono input on my sansui amp :yes:

I'm with you, Wornears. I have a QL-F4 that just a couple of days ago, I pulled from rotation to listen to my older PL-55DX. Thru my preamp, it seems like the PL-55DX has next to no output. The JVC just shines. I guess I will be putting it back in now!

Back
Top Bottom