JVC VR-5511

miscrms00

Picked one of these up for $8 at Goodwill tonight. I couldn't find a whole lot of info, and this is the baby the series at 22Wpc, but I'm glad I decided to go for it.

32850406756_d1195f2651_b.jpg

Settled into the workshop tonight after the kids were in bed, hooked up my trusty JBL S38s, and put on a few of my favorite test tracks via iphone / Apple music.
- Dave Brubeck - Take 5,
- Daft Punk - Get Lucky and Giorgio,
- Grimethorpe Colliery Band - Concierto de Aranjuez
- Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing, Brothers in Arms, Telegraph Road
- Eric Clapton - Sunshine of Your Love, Have You Ever Loved a Woman (24 Nights versions)

I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with this little amp. I'm sure the sensitivity of the JBLs helps, and I'm not trying to play all that loud so I don't wake the house, but still. Nice sound overall. Then again I always was a sucker for an old school loudness filter and 5 band EQ ;)

Picked one of these up for $8 at Goodwill tonight. I couldn't find a whole lot of info, and this is the baby the series at 22Wpc, but I'm glad I decided to go for it.

just picked up one of these, I'll hook it up and see how she goes. I had an earlier JVC Nivico 105 (from the late 60's) amplifier that sounded great. Like yours I have it in the wooden overcoat.
Handsome looking unit.

32850406756_d1195f2651_b.jpg

Settled into the workshop tonight after the kids were in bed, hooked up my trusty JBL S38s, and put on a few of my favorite test tracks via iphone / Apple music.
- Dave Brubeck - Take 5,
- Daft Punk - Get Lucky and Giorgio,
- Grimethorpe Colliery Band - Concierto de Aranjuez
- Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing, Brothers in Arms, Telegraph Road
- Eric Clapton - Sunshine of Your Love, Have You Ever Loved a Woman (24 Nights versions)

I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with this little amp. I'm sure the sensitivity of the JBLs helps, and I'm not trying to play all that loud so I don't wake the house, but still. Nice sound overall. Then again I always was a sucker for an old school loudness filter and 5 band EQ ;)

If you picked up a VR-5511 then I'm pretty sure those are 15 watts a channel. Bottom line of that series. But they are built like tanks and despite it being the lowest receiver of that series JVC still added pre-outs. They sound much more than what their wattage shows on paper. And yes you have another music listener in myself that is a sucker for buttons and switches. Especially, loudness buttons or knobs and built in equalizers.

Nice score! I would have grabbed it as well!
I'd suggest pulling the case, and cleaning out all the dust. I use a very soft makeup brush, and small hobby paint brushes for the tight spots.

I grew up with the JVC Nivico 5003 receiver, e of the first receivers with a built in 5 band EQ, and when the next generation came out with the black faces like yours, I was drawing these receivers all the time, was obsessed! So modern looking at the time! Almost no one sold a receiver with a built in 5 band EQ during this time period!
So, when you get a chance, please do a couple videos of it in action and post it in the video thread. I'm sure we'd love to hear it! Also in the show us your great JVC gear thread.

Cheers, Glenn

I just bought one on Ebay for $35. Power cord was cut so price was very negotiable. Was originally listed for $160. Wood case is a little beat up, but i’m a woodworker, so some sandpaper, stain and new finish will be a plus. JVC is one of my favorite brands. I was drawn to the early old school looks, so we will see how it goes. I will post a review after I get into it further.

I just bought one on Ebay.. JVC is one of my favorite brands... I will post a review after I get into it further.

@BigMoPat

Welcome to AK! and here's hoping you enjoy your time here.

Congrats on your new to you acquisition, I see you created a new thread in "Equipment Review & Opinions" you might be better served having a Moderator move that post to this thread as this section sees a lot more traffic then the other one that and you the incorrect thread title

This way you'll get more feedback, suggestions etc where as the other thread could just wind up languishing due little volume

Last edited:
My favorite series of vintage JVC that I have seen so far.

If the cord is cut it's likely known shorted, so do not replace the cord and plug it in. You will need a dimbulb tester, 60W bulb or a bit less would be the way to apply power. Not sure what your level of electronic skill is, so wanted to mention that.

You may want to get the unit working before restoring the cabinet, guess it depends on what your motivation is.

I have a cord cut 5551 sitting here, looking forward to getting to it.

For an update, just finished my rebuild of my vr-5511. Upon further exploring I replaced all the bulbs with LED replacements, did a thorough cleaning of the unit with CRC electronics cleaner. I did find that the speaker selector switch was jammed and the shaft was corroded, so I disassembled the whole switch, fixed, cleaned and oiled the shaft and reassembled the switch. Surprisingly, the switch functions properly and tested well after I replaced the power cord. Finally, I heated the fake plastic wood grain with a heat gun and a rigid spatula. The wood looked great underneath, so I decided to use an American Walnut stain, then for the final finish coat I sprayed on 6 coats of gloss lacquer. It is an old thing of beauty that came to me beat up and nonfunctional and was rescued from the junk pile.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom