Squidward

Scrappy Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I'm going to start this thread with a specific aim: To preserve the knowledge that Kegger freely gave our community. This thread is for posting schematics that Kegger created. He designed some very popular amps (KT-88 SEUL, for one), but he also has some lesser known designs that shouldn't slide in to obscurity.

I'd like to start this off with one of his designs for a favorite tube of mine: SEUL EL-84 with a 6BK7 driver.

EL84_330V_SE_UL_6BK7.gif

Last edited:
I see them this morning...

FWIW, I have Keg's computer and access to his SPICE schematics. Windows indicates 2102 files in the proprietary format, but I beleive Paul changed them in Paint to publish. He also appears to have saved many iterations of the schematic, so it's awkward telling which is current/best...

Maybe Squid can give me a hand sorting through these and determining how best to preserve our friend's goldmine.

20190220_072034.jpg

Andy, that would be amazing if we could have any/all of the schematics that he designed. I'm sure that others here as well as myself would help with identifying and categorizing them. Let me know how I could help in any way.

Here's a parallel version of his SEUL KT-88.

SEUL_KT88_parallel.jpg

Here's a E-Linear 6SL7/6V6 amp that Keg designed/helped me with. All values are correct for a 330vdc PS. Power of pentode, SQ of Triode mode. Very nice sounding amp.

View attachment 1439891
I have used almost this exact same schematic but with a 6l6 output tube. With that tube it also makes an excellent sounding amplifier. Metal 6l6 are very good power tubes.

I sent Squid the thumb drive last week and hopefully he can get it installed and running. I do still have access to all these files, but often am surprised at some of the tubes used and the lack of PS circuitry included. He does have some PS software too, but quite honestly, there's just so much here to wade through, it will take a while.

So we do have his archives, but sorting it out will take quite a while...

These amps are the Allen Organ 90's from circa 1956/7...ish.
They were acquired about 10 years ago from a church in State College PA.
The amps were reworked for better home HiFi use.

Once completed by Keg, I retubed them and had some modern input and outputs installed. Plus I added an IEC fused plug to make disconnections and amp rolling a little easier.

Big sound with a Big soundstage. Very detailed, warm and never fading.
Sounds like Kegger to me (RIP)

Allen_90_M_FNL_1.GIF

Last edited:
This View attachment 1439891 was my first scratch build with Keggers help. His help was fun and informative I miss him. But because of him, Opa1, Tom Bavis, Pac Protector Andyman and all the wonderful people on AK, dumb asses like me can learn how wonderful 4 watts per channel or more can sound.

Here's a E-Linear 6SL7/6V6 amp that Keg designed/helped me with. All values are correct for a 330vdc PS. Power of pentode, SQ of Triode mode. Very nice sounding amp.

View attachment 1439891
Hi Opa1, i noticed something when i was copying this schematic. The Rfb (120K) seems to be taken from a tap off the primary of the OPT. This is different than my amp that i used from one of Keg man's circuits. In my amp the plate to plate fb comes right off the plate also using 120k resistor. I was wondering if difference is a mistake or how it is supposed to be? thanks for checking.

Hi Opa1, i noticed something when i was copying this schematic. The Rfb (120K) seems to be taken from a tap off the primary of the OPT. This is different than my amp that i used from one of Keg man's circuits. In my amp the plate to plate fb comes right off the plate also using 120k resistor. I was wondering if difference is a mistake or how it is supposed to be? thanks for checking.

It takes the signal from the UL tap from the OPT. This is the famous "E-Linear" topology.

Totally OT (there is another thread somewhere),
but kindly allow me from far away South Africa, to yet again marvel at the legacy that this man has left behind.

Having been in audio myself for >60 years, I can only hope that when my time comes, I would have done some small percentage of the good that Kegger did in his lifetime.

Back to topic.

Back
Top Bottom