KLH Model 6 vs Dynaco A25

Funny you bring up a tube amp. My friend is selling his HH Scott 299b.

I know very little about tubes.

I have read that the 299b would sound good with sixes.

But we also haven’t settled on prices, pricing these 299bs is not easy.

If you have not had a tube amp make very sure you are down with what it means to own one. Be prepared for a lot more maintaining than with anything solid state.

great to know! thank you

When I got my first set of 6's they were "meh" at best on my first listen. I thought to myself "what's all the hype about"? As I dug a little deeper into AK threads I knew I had some work to do. Ordered in the caps and the sealant that gets brushed onto the surrounds. I was a bit intimidated on doing the recap but just did one at a time including the two for one swap on the original "dual" cap. They sounded 100% better after the recap as I don't think the tweets were functioning much at all before the recap. After brushing on the sealant to the surrounds, whoa "we've hit a new gear". I also have 5's which I really enjoy and were KLH's answer to the mighty AR3a's. The 6's are perfect for a smaller listening space which is where I have mine set up. I tried the 5's and they were a bit too much for that smaller venue. Cheers!

When I got my first set of 6's they were "meh" at best on my first listen. I thought to myself "what's all the hype about"? As I dug a little deeper into AK threads I knew I had some work to do. Ordered in the caps and the sealant that gets brushed onto the surrounds. I was a bit intimidated on doing the recap but just did one at a time including the two for one swap on the original "dual" cap. They sounded 100% better after the recap as I don't think the tweets were functioning much at all before the recap. After brushing on the sealant to the surrounds, whoa "we've hit a new gear". I also have 5's which I really enjoy and were KLH's answer to the mighty AR3a's. The 6's are perfect for a smaller listening space which is where I have mine set up. I tried the 5's and they were a bit too much for that smaller venue. Cheers!
So amazing! I’m looking forward to this project!

Thanks for all the advice.

I own both and equally impressed especially when I mated the a25’s with my H/K 330b Receiver. A perfect match. The KLH 6 sound great with all of my Receivers/ Amps.

I just traded last week and got a pair of each in the deal. I am impressed by both the A25s & 6s. They are both keepers!
Also the vintage tube thing is huge increase in messing with things/maintenance I enjoyed tube rolling and the sound but grew weiry of the labor intensive deoxit and cleaning.

Attachments

• 98272D99-7B61-443D-9DED-E10E4392A9A7.jpeg
    98272D99-7B61-443D-9DED-E10E4392A9A7.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 927A7FE6-BE41-4759-BF1D-CCBF60EA3A8E.jpeg
    927A7FE6-BE41-4759-BF1D-CCBF60EA3A8E.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 47
  • E420D335-30CD-43BA-9799-D791FCBB0EA3.jpeg
    E420D335-30CD-43BA-9799-D791FCBB0EA3.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 44
I just traded last week and got a pair of each in the deal. I am impressed by both the A25s & 6s. They are both keepers!
Also the vintage tube thing is huge increase in messing with things/maintenance I enjoyed tube rolling and the sound but grew weiry of the labor intensive deoxit and cleaning.

Your two pairs look to be in great shape. Looks like a good trade.

I just applied the sealant, one coat so far, waiting for it to dry to then apply a second coat.

Huge difference. The bass is much cleaner and tighter.

Thanks Roy C.

The sealer will stay very tacky, for years!
Before adding the second coat, gently push the woofer cone in and let go. If it returns slowly, 1-2 seconds, then that's all you need.

Well, I did it!

I got A25s also! 6s and A25s are amazing for different reasons!

I tested the A25s with my Scott 299b. Vocals on the A25 are soooo sweet, the bass is great, just not as thumpy as the 6s. They sound very neutral, which is very nice.

I have to figure out some things with the A25s, I listened to Steely Dan’s Jack of Speed, my 6s have amazing separation, very full and lush, the A25s sound great, however, it seems the mids blend a little, not a deal breaker, it might just be that I need to spend some more time with balancing treble and bass on my amp. Or maybe it’s a little deeper in the speaker, recap?

Next, I have to figure out a second amp setup. The way I see it, this is a very good problem to have. I am thinking, potentially going solid state and finding a Marantz 2230.

Back
Top Bottom