L100T to L100T3 just an xover change?

guitarjunkie

So.... would changing the crossover to the T3 version make my L100t perform like the L100T3 or are there other considereations?
Thanks-
Mike

One thing that is different between the L100T and the L100t3 is cabinet size. The t3 version is smaller and might have some internal differences as well. IMO, the crossover change should get you a nice improvement in sound.

Zilch-
I'm a bit ignorant as I'm still starting this project. I assumed all the talk about how much better the t3 are than the t was due to a difference in crossover design. You are suggesting there is no difference?
Thx-
Mike

Here are the schematics for both versions:

L100tts_Page_1.jpg

l100t3_ts_Page_1.jpg

There are some differences.

one of the lansing list folks upgraded my pair of L100T Xovers to L100T3 spec - I had the pc board style crossovers (not ones on terminal strips) ...
I shipped them away and they came back about 2 weeks later, so I couldn't exactly do an A/B comparison - but the revised ones seemed smoother, not quite as shrill.

There is a cabinet size difference, but they both have the same drivers.

Personally, having done the upgrade myself, I'd do it again. Now if I had to pay someone quite a bit to do it for me.. maybe not so much...

It's definitely an improvement and as Heather said, it's considerably smoother.

BTW, I had to do a double take.. I don't see Heather so often on AK. Hope she sticks around.. :yes:

I was gonna mod one of my L80T pairs to T3 specs and it looked rather simple. Instead I bought a complete pair with all wiring and even the input cups fr $13 on Epay. So now I can compare them side-by-side.

I'm still thinkin' that hanging a piece of Kleenex over the tweeters accomplishes the same thing.... ;)

One of my pairs has the Gordon W mods, too.

Lots of "improved" speaker crossovers due to the introduction of the CD-media?

I prefer the original L100T and AR98LS in "floor mode"........

Well, I finally made the swap...and the results are stunning! The L80T/3s are now as pleasant to listen to as my L96s. The bass isn't as strong but that may be just the front versus rear port in the room in which I compared them.

While I was inside installing the T3 networks, did the Gordon Waters mods of extending the port two-inches and packing about four-inches of extra insulation in the top. They're no longer harsh or "brittle" and are nowhere near as irritating on badly-recorded music as before, a quality I found quite pleasing with the phenolic tweeters in the L96s. I'd recommend the upgrade to anyone with L80Ts. I have a whole new respect for them now.

Here are some shots comparing my L80T networks (left) with the T3s (right and closeup):

DSC_1564.jpg

DSC_1565.jpg

DSC_1567.jpg

At one point I had a pair of L80T and L80t3 speakers and did a direct comparison. The improvements of the t3 version was very noticeable. I imagine the same goes for the L100T/t3. JBL should have done the crossover of the t3 with the original T speakers. I wonder if they just dropped the ball when they designed the crossovers for the first versions.

Just missed a set

of L100T's yesterday on CL. I saw the posting in the first 10 minutes, but waited a few hours before sending an email. (I guess I really did not want to spend the $100... Or have to find a tweeter.)

Same thing happened today with a 2245H for $150, it's been listed for a week, I finally sent an email, got back "It sold 15 minutes ago".

Back
Top Bottom