Lafayette LR-9090 Impressions?

DarrenE46

Can anyone give me some feedback on this unit? I got a line on one for $100 and wanted to see what the general consensus is on it. How does it compare to the major brands (Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer)? Thanks!

DarrenE46 said:
Can anyone give me some feedback on this unit? I got a line on one for $100 and wanted to see what the general consensus is on it. How does it compare to the major brands (Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer)? Thanks!

The Lafayettes were made by the same outfit that made the Setton Receiver. The LR-9090 is generally similar to a Setton RS-660, although with lower power. The Achilles Heel of these receivers is the Power Switch, which fails more often than it should. Otherwise, they are well built, excellently performing receivers.

I recently bought an LR-9090....This sucker is HUGE & HEAVY!!! One of the monster receivers from the late 70's. Rated at 100 WPC, although compared to today's digital receivers, it's more like 200 WPC. It powers my Pyle PAH1580's with ease, with power to spare. I paid $50.00 for mine on eBay.

I can't imagine wnat LR-9090 does at 100 WPC! I got LR-5555 which is 55 WPC and ,oh boy, it's the loudest 55 watts I ever heard! I have no clue how came up with such power rating. More like 80 to a 100 to me. What a sound!

Here's the scoop (from an ex-Lafayette Manager)---
The 9090(A) is rated at 90 watts/channel RMS into 8 ohms from 20Hz-20,000Hz and hence the name '9090'. Today, most Receivers power rated in RMS is at 1,000Hz and not the full 20 to 20 spectrum. Some companies like Harmon Kardon still rate their Receivers from the full 20-20 spectrum. So, be very carefull when you look at power output specs. They can be deceiving if you don't know what you are looking at. If a Receiver isn't a "boat anchor" it probably has an insufficient power supply or the power ratings are at 1,000Hz.
It was one of the finast Lafayette Receivers ever sold by them. Some may argue that the LR120DB was better. The LR120DB was manufactured for Lafayette by LUXMAN in Japan (Luxman company started in 1925). If memory serves me correctly, the 9090 was manufactured by a company called TRIO (also Japanese). seeing the success of the Lafayete Receivers, TRIO ventured on their own brand under the name KENWOOD. Now a days, KENWOOD is known as KENWOOD-TRIO and still extrmely active in the communication industry (transceivers, amateur radio equipment etc.). That's the best I remember.

If you can get your hands on a Lafayette LR-5555 or LR-9090 or LR-120DB for under $100 today, you will get an awesome Receiver for the money!

Personally, I had an LR120DB up until recently and I am sorry I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom