Let's see your cans!

Nice Collection you have there! What exactly has been done to the 225's?

The new wooden cups are modeled after the original Grado cups (very simple, small and tight), and made out of a solid piece of Lacewood - all hand made and a drill press was used in making these, with the shaping being done with a file.
The headband/rod clamp is also made out of out of lacewood. This went quite fine. But then it emphasized the plastic cup holder - the only original part that was left excepting the driver/driver housing.
So new ones were made out of nickel-silver with a thinner gauge (I believe 14g). They were cleaned them real nice, but the silver looked a bit sterile so it was heated it up again to give a little bit of oxidation on it, adding a bit of color.
A brown headband custom made by Fatman711 replaced the original headband.
The headphones are recabled with Canare Starquad and a 1/8" Neutrik connector.

Technics RP DH1200 DJ cans

P1020793.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro and Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation II. Both re-paded and re-foamed in 2006.
PICT0118.jpg

Here are my new cans I got for Christmas.
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro80

DSCF1990.jpg

DSCF1989.jpg

DSCF1987.jpg

Do these leak out any noise and do you need a powerful amp to run them?

I could use a pair of closed backs for the living room, but I can't have the sound leaking out or in. I have a pair of Ety E-4ps, but I can't leave them out on the side table because of my curious dog's sharp teeth that would eventually make mince meat out of them...I know because she destroyed a cheap pair of Sony earbuds I left out on accident.

Do these leak out any noise and do you need a powerful amp to run them?

I could use a pair of closed backs for the living room, but I can't have the sound leaking out or in. I have a pair of Ety E-4ps, but I can't leave them out on the side table because of my curious dog's sharp teeth that would eventually make mince meat out of them...I know because she destroyed a cheap pair of Sony earbuds I left out on accident.
I haven't heard/owned a pair of DT770's, but I've read a couple of things about them over several years of trawling Head-fi:

• The 80 refers to their nominal input impedance, 80 ohms. This is somewhat in the middle in terms of headphones: Grados at around 32 ohms and Sennheisers in the 300 range. It would probably be difficult to use with an iPod, but should be alright with the headphone jack out of a receiver or similar.

• They are completely sealed, circumaural phones, so they shouldn't leak any sound and depending on their clamping factor, should block out external noise to a point.

I haven't heard/owned a pair of DT770's, but I've read a couple of things about them over several years of trawling Head-fi:

• The 80 refers to their nominal input impedance, 80 ohms. This is somewhat in the middle in terms of headphones: Grados at around 32 ohms and Sennheisers in the 300 range. It would probably be difficult to use with an iPod, but should be alright with the headphone jack out of a receiver or similar.

• They are completely sealed, circumaural phones, so they shouldn't leak any sound and depending on their clamping factor, should block out external noise to a point.

They sound like they would fit my purposes. I have pa2v2 portable amp that I keep in the same room for my iPhone and laptop.

Thanks for the info!:thmbsp:

I've been meaning to take photos, but never get around to it- maybe posting here will motivate me. I've got mostly all AKG- a ~20 yr. old pair of K240 (currently on the repair bench), a new set of K240S, older K141s, and four pair of HP40 for the studio musicians. There's also a set of wireless 'phones here somewhere (RCA?), useful but not great-sounding. Oh, and lots of Sony/Aiwa/Koss walkman-style, plus some Sennheiser & Apple earbuds.

I use an Oz Audio Q-Mix HM-6 headphone matrix for the studio, it's a well-designed unit (pics attached). Pretty sure I also have a 1RU Rane headphone distribution amp, but that might be out on loan.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/oct97/ozqmixhm6.html

Otherwise, I use the headphone jacks on various receivers (Nak/Denon/Yamaha), sources (Nak/Tascam/Pioneer) or mixers (Carvin/EV/Tascam) or an Alesis Masterlink & Digidesign ProTools interface. Occasionally I've used a spare Yamaha P2100 power amp, or a nice little Symetrix 420 amp.

Portable players are nothing special, a couple iPods, Rio Nitrus, and Sony/Aiwa Walkman & Sony Discman.

More pics soon, I swear.

je

Attachments

• 266977.jpg
    266977.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 266978.jpg
    266978.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 266979.jpg
    266979.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I've been meaning to take photos, but never get around to it- maybe posting here will motivate me. I've got mostly all AKG- a ~20 yr. old pair of K240 (currently on the repair bench), a new set of K240S, older K141s, and four pair of HP40 for the studio musicians. There's also a set of wireless 'phones here somewhere (RCA?), useful but not great-sounding. Oh, and lots of Sony/Aiwa/Koss walkman-style, plus some Sennheiser & Apple earbuds.

I use an Oz Audio Q-Mix HM-6 headphone matrix for the studio, it's a well-designed unit (pics attached). Pretty sure I also have a 1RU Rane headphone distribution amp, but that might be out on loan.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/oct97/ozqmixhm6.html

Otherwise, I use the headphone jacks on various receivers (Nak/Denon/Yamaha), sources (Nak/Tascam/Pioneer) or mixers (Carvin/EV/Tascam) or an Alesis Masterlink & Digidesign ProTools interface. Occasionally I've used a spare Yamaha P2100 power amp, or a nice little Symetrix 420 amp.

Portable players are nothing special, a couple iPods, Rio Nitrus, and Sony/Aiwa Walkman & Sony Discman.

More pics soon, I swear.

je

Lame pics...older K240s needing repair, HP40s & Q-Mix, K141 & newer K240S.

je

Attachments

• IMG_1787 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1787 (Medium).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1790 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1790 (Medium).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1791 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1791 (Medium).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 123
Well.....their not Grado or Sennheiser but they sound
good on this end.

Attachments

• PANA0105.JPG
    PANA0105.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 169
Grado SR325i

DSC_0001-51.jpg

Ooooooo, how do you like those Grados? This is the next pair I want, upgrading from SR80s. I've read the 125s isn't much of an upgrade, but the real jump is between the 125s and the 225-- so naturally I want the 325s!!

Ooooooo, how do you like those Grados? This is the next pair I want, upgrading from SR80s. I've read the 125s isn't much of an upgrade, but the real jump is between the 125s and the 225-- so naturally I want the 325s!!

Love 'em. A great price to performance ratio for what you get. I prefer my RS1, but they are more than double the price, so the 325 is well worth it.

Shure SRH440's

I've had a pair of Koss Pro 4AA for years (the ONLY pair I've ever had) but haven't been using them as the ear pads are shot and require replacement.
While I like how they sound I find them really heavy so I set out this morning to find another pair.

I came home with a brand new pair of Shure SRH440's. I haven't really had a chance to play with them yet but my first impression is wow, these puppies are comfortable! Hopefully they are as easy to listen to as they are to wear :music:

Back
Top Bottom