Marantz 2270 vs Luxman R115

micrometer

chameleon
I've been looking at these two receivers. 2270 goes for around $600 - 800 while the R115 about $200. For this price discrepancy, is the 2270 that much better than the R115?

They are very much 2 different animals of a machine. Different sound characteristics. I can vouch that my 115 is still going strong since 1989 without any repairs done to it yet.

The Marantz is very pretty, and i do not know what type of system you are after. The Luxman has better specs and probably sounds better, but they are also known for needing service. It depends on just how critical you are listening. What speakers do you have or like?

The 2270, was the TOTL in the early 22xx series made early to mid 70s, it has some excellent build quality. The late 80's Luxman came from a period when cost was the first priority. Hard to say which sounds better in current state.

Both will need a proper restoration to include replacing old electrolytic caps.

I would rather have the 2270 although it cost a lot more. There is a reason for it.

It is known that the R-117 is one of the best receivers ever based on the ak collective getting involved in that decision. Those that have the 115 love it too and it is said to have a similar sound to the 117. Sound quality, the Luxman units have it for many. Marantz is loved, too and they sure look nice but that Marantz tax caused by The Stereo Store Lust® when the kids saw the full line of Marantz in the 70s and settled for a small model, well they want the big one and will pay and pay.

I would so much rather have the extra cash to spend elsewhere in the system, leading to a better system with remote control. But I would have to give up the blue lights and possibly the increase in value that the Marantz will have over other units. All things the same, the difference in sound would favor the Luxman but a few might like the Marantz sound.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/vote-results-your-favorite-receivers.617221/

Last edited:
They are very much 2 different animals of a machine. Different sound characteristics. I can vouch that my 115 is still going strong since 1989 without any repairs done to it yet.

I've had 3 (R-115's) of them all with the original remote controls. I'm not a Marantz hater as I've owned a 2230 in the past but I'll take the Luxman all day long. I still reserve first rights to 2 of them as they were gifts to friends.

Blue Shadow make a great point in putting the cash differential towards other parts of the system.

I have Marantz 2270, 2225 and Luxman R1050. Luxman sounds better than Marantz, more lush, more fun, more detail.

I have had the Marantz 2270 (and many other Marantz receivers, plus the 1180dc integrated amp). I also own several Luxman receivers, including thr R-115, R-1040 and R-1050. As luxmaster said, the Marantz and the Luxman are just two completely different machines. I will say the Marantz will hold its value better, and will most probably appreciate (as opposed to depreciate) over time. After having said that, my personal choice is the Luxman R-115.

I like my R-115 alot. Not as much as the R-1120 used when you really want it loud, but the 115 has a remote which is a very very nice feature.
I use it as a preamp to the R-1120.
One caveat to the 115 is the phono stage isn;t that good. The R-1120 is miles ahead so I compromised and run all 3 TT's through a Yamaha C-50 used only as a phono pre and the combo is the best I've had in years.
I don;t plan to ever get rid of the R-115 and will be buying a backup spare as soon as I get the funds.

Marantz receivers from that time period have excellent build quality and a warm sound that many audio collectors like, but the market price for them is totally out of control. Sound wise, I prefer the Luxman (I've owned two R-115's) and they sound wonderful like many Luxman products. While the Marantz 2270 has more than twice the power of the 2230, the later has the reputation as being the sweetest sounding of that line. While the Luxman is not a sexy, nor is it's build quality as robust as the Marantz, it is the better choice for most. Another good value receiver similar to the Luxman R-115 is a Nakamichi TA-3A. I own both and cannot decide which I like better.

As other's have said....2 different sound signatures. If you are planning on 2270...As "Blue Shadow" said...R-117 for a Top 5 80's unit.
For the coin on a 2270...R-117 would be in my mix (and is).

Back
Top Bottom