Marantz 2285B: Best Sounding Receiver?

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
I've heard quite a few Marantz receivers including: 2216, 2220B, 2230, 2245, 2250B, 2252, 2265, 2270, 2325, 2385, 2500, and 2600. I just heard the 2285B for the first time and compared it to the 2265, 2270, and 2500 in my collection.

I have to say the 2285B may be the best sounding of the lot. It has the sweetness of the little receivers but enough power to open up speakers. This may change as I have not heard the 2275 or the 2330.

I've heard that before.
the 2265B is also held in high regard, but the 2285B seems to be the real gem of the bunch.
Or so I've heard...

Kind of hard to compare 35 year old capacitors.... Were all the units restored fully....?

I know my 2270 would kick the snot out of either of my 4400s before they were restored.... but once restored fully...the tables turned....

jk

I always liked the sound of the 2200B series. :D

2270 or 2275 i would chose the 2270.
4400 or 2500/2600 i would chose...hmmmz :D

Of the five Marantz receivers I own(ed) (two 2500s - both sold, two 2285B - one still with me, and a 2385) I couldn't decide if I like the 2385 better than the 2285B. But since I put together the Holy Grail of Marantz Separates (2130 Tuner, 3650 Pre and two 300DC amps) the receivers don't get much listening to...:music:

I only own one Marantz - the 2285B: It is definitely one of my best sounding receivers. A nice bonus is that is is also one of the best looking.

I love the compact footprint (a hair under 20" wide (EDIT:with the WC-22 cab)) which allows me to put into racks that most receivers with similar power output would not fit in.

My favorite is the Model 19 especially since I just got it recapped. Many others have paled compared to it. However, a while back I picked up a 2252b that had been gone thru, mint faceplate and original wood cabinet. I kinda got it for the looks, torquoise and silver vs black and blue, just for something different. Surprized with how good it sounds.

I'd still give the nod to the 19 but that may be because when I turn them on, it's for FM and the 19 has the superior tuner. I haven't tried A/B ing them with CD but now I'm interested.

Yep, I will give the nod to the 2285b. My favorite receiver.
Sounds the best, looks the best....is the best.

Especially since I paid the most for it of all my units....

I've heard that before.
the 2265B is also held in high regard, but the 2285B seems to be the real gem of the bunch.
Or so I've heard...

My 2265 sounds similar to the 2285B but I doesn't have the same "sound re-enforcement" the extra power of the 2285B offers.

Of the five Marantz receivers I own(ed) (two 2500s - both sold, two 2285B - one still with me, and a 2385) I couldn't decide if I like the 2385 better than the 2285B. But since I put together the Holy Grail of Marantz Separates (2130 Tuner, 3650 Pre and two 300DC amps) the receivers don't get much listening to...:music:

I'd rank the 2500 ahead of the 2385 and the 2285B ahead of both at anything below 90 db. Above that, it would depend how loud you are going and how difficult the speakers are to drive.

I only own one Marantz - the 2285B: It is definitely one of my best sounding receivers. A nice bonus is that is is also one of the best looking.

I love the compact footprint (a hair under 20" wide) which allows me to put into racks that most receivers with similar power output would not fit in.

Agreed! My vote for the best 22xx chassis Marantz also goes to the 2285B.

I'd have to concur. I've had quite a few Marantz recievers and I think the 2285B pretty much does it for me. In fact this little guy sounds so frickin good that I'm considering a complete recap of the entire unit. I normally wouldn't consider a complete recap like that (unless it needed it to keep operating) but this one I'll have to reconsider.
There is one more I have still waiting in the wings... The 2500 but it is still at my tech's place!.... STILL!!!
I'd have to say that the 2285b sounds very similar to the 170dc amp which I use to have and it was properly serviced. Shouldn't have sold it :no:
Something about the sound of this receiver... It's a great combination of "enough" balls out power and delicacy.
It still carries that warm midbass tone like many of the Marantz receiver do but it doesn't do it at the expense of the upper mids and highs.
I use to own a mint 2270 and I have to say that it was also very good sounding...but.... not quite up to the level of the 2285b
Now the plus of the 2285b is the tuner section. It is really killer. Mine was aligned and it is on par with some better separate tuners that I've heard.
So... Sam, your thoughts pretty much sum up what I was thinking too.
Now... Your thoughts on the sound of this unit compared to the Pioneer SX-1250.......:scratch2:

But since I put together the Holy Grail of Marantz Separates (2130 Tuner, 3650 Pre and two 300DC amps)

That Marantz combo is a killer to be sure. I haven't heard the 2130 all that often. I use to own the 3650 pre and the 300 DC. While these units are hard to come by, my favorite Marantz combo is the 150 tuner (modified by the stereo Surgeons), the 3800 pre and the 510M amp. I've used this combo on a variety of speakers including my current setup of the Carver AL-III's with the Infinity woofers. Thsi combo has been the best for me. But like I said, Marantz has a lot of great products have will have a magic synergy to the ears of the idividual.

I'm not debating the quality of your stellar system, but just adding another opinion from a Marantz owner of more than 35 years. Congrats on your combo, and rock on!:thmbsp::yes:

Carl

That Marantz combo is a killer to be sure. I haven't heard the 2130 all that often. I use to own the 3650 pre and the 300 DC. While these units are hard to come by, my favorite Marantz combo is the 150 tuner (modified by the stereo Surgeons), the 3800 pre and the 510M amp. I've used this combo on a variety of speakers including my current setup of the Carver AL-III's with the Infinity woofers. Thsi combo has been the best for me. But like I said, Marantz has a lot of great products have will have a magic synergy to the ears of the idividual.

I'm not debating the quality of your stellar system, but just adding another opinion from a Marantz owner of more than 35 years. Congrats on your combo, and rock on!:thmbsp::yes:

Carl

I would not dispute your opinion. I have not heard that separates set-up, but it sure seems like a great matched set. The other set of separates I've been considering to assemble is the 3300 pre (I used to have one), the 250 amp and the 120 tuner. This set might actually be the easiest to assemble than the sets we currently both enjoy.

Kind of hard to compare 35 year old capacitors.... Were all the units restored fully....?

I know my 2270 would kick the snot out of either of my 4400s before they were restored.... but once restored fully...the tables turned....

jk

Some time ago i re-capped a 2285 and i must say it sounds very good indeed.
I allso owned a 2600.
I think they are in the same league.

But like you said; first re-cap and the rest of the TLC before you compare. :smoke:

The 2285b is the perfect balance of warmth, detail and power. Not to mention it looks like a fine piece of jewelry! Beautifully balanced from top to bottom with nice tight bass, strong mids and crisp clean highs. I could stare at it and listen to it for hours on end!!!! But...... my $70 stock 2230 sounds slightly better then my refurbished $600 2285b at normal listening levels.

Oh yeah, in case you think I'm crazy I'm not the only one. Am I?

The 2285b is the perfect balance of warmth, detail and power. Not to mention it looks like a fine piece of jewelry! Beautifully balanced from top to bottom with nice tight bass, strong mids and crisp clean highs. I could stare at it and listen to it for hours on end!!!! But...... my $70 stock 2230 sounds slightly better then my refurbished $600 2285b at normal listening levels.

Oh yeah, in case you think I'm crazy I'm not the only one. Am I?

The only one of that opinion or the only one who's crazy?:D

The 2230 sounds wonderful if your speakers are efficient enough to get the level you require.

Tom

:thmbsp:
The only one of that opinion or the only one who's crazy?:D

The 2230 sounds wonderful if your speakers are efficient enough to get the level you require.

Tom

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who's not crazy in this world.:yes:

I'll add to this and say that the 2330B does sound very close to the 2285B. I think about the only difference that I found between the two was the 2285B had just a bit more mid bass bloom. The 22330B was definitely more powerful but the bass just didn't have the same magic for some reason. I found it strange as I thought that much of what the 2330B was taken from the 2325 but again I found these two receivers to sound quite a bit different.

Back
Top Bottom