Marantz 4400...How much is too much?

Cpt.Fantasy

Ok, I have some questions I've been meaning to ask everyone. How much is too much for a "mint" 4400 Marantz receiver that's accompanied with a SQA-2 Full Logic Decoder and also housed in a wooden case that's in mint condition? How much would anyone be willing to spend on something like that? Why is this receiver regarded, aside from the 2500/2600, to be in such demand? I love the scope, I really do, and "why can't the 2325's have it" burns in my mind constantly, but don't you think the scope is merely a gimmick created to be used as some marketing ploy by Marantz just to jack up the price? Or is the 4400 REALLY worth having? Like I said, I personally, would love to have one, but...I don't know....is it REALLY worth it? I appreciate any and all thoughts! thanks.

-cpt. fantasy

Welcome aboard, Cpt. Fantasy! Any relation to Mr. Fantasy?

I've moved this thread to Dollars and Sense, where "what's it worth?" questions belong on AK - I don't know what the 4400 goes for, but I had a 4300 once upon a time, and I wish I had it back. I'd consider it pretty much the ultimate quad receiver (thus setting myself up for comments from fans of other brands ...)

I don't see any reason, other than sheer nostaglia, for anyone to get a 4400. Quad was a SERIOUSLY flawed concept, basically a "scam" to sell more equipment during a "flat period" in sales, and the 4400's 125 stereo watts in "bridged" mode simply can't be equated with the 2325's rated 125 watts. "Bridged" mode is a compromise no matter how you look at it. It's note the "real thing". "Purists" will prefer the 2325. So, the 4400's "true" power output is really 60 wpc x 4, such that it is appealing mainly to those who really don't know any better.. Unless, of course, you've just got to have a Receiver with an oscilloscope. That I can understand.

-- Chris

My 4300 came off EchoWars' bench, and was clocked at 185 wpc, bridged, per EW's usual standards.

Not too shabby, for the little brother. No scope, though.

Edit: It was rude of me to forget to welcome you to AK. Welcome!

Welcome to AK Cpt.Fantasy

I've owned one for a few years now, sadly it is collecting dust since I got into 4Ω speakers.

Whats it worth :scratch2: whatever the market will bare is the short answer. I've seen them go from $200 to $1000 depending on condition. Is it worth it, to those that want one and know what Marantz sound like it, must be! They are built like a tank, heavy as hell and I could stare at that scope for hours! I really like the sound of it as well as the look!

Nope mines not for sale, don't ask :)

The 2325 seems like an ideal receiver. Another beautiful one. But damn! Even that one is sky rocketing to such an unattainable amount, for the most part. Not as much as the 2500/2600 which is laughably crazy in price on Ebay and just.not.practical, unless you have the $$ and the insanity it takes to drop over $4,000, like that one "x hacker" did awhile back. Ugh, finding parts for that would be a nightmare. Probably worse.
There are a couple of 2325's on eBay right now, "Buy It Now" for $575 and up.
...i need to start going to more estate sales.
Anyway, thanks for welcoming me everyone! Very cool place indeed.
--cpt. fantasy

Marantz stuff is in high demand at the moment, but pioneer stuff is obtainable for now.
In a few months, the tide will turn, and marantz stuff will be readily available as soon as everyone willing to pay 3x what they are worth gets one, then it is pioneer's turn, and this tide will change over and over until every peice of gear is owned by someone who wont sell it.

Welcome to AK!

Ahhh, Marantz vs Pioneer.. Here are my thoughts.. FWIW

In the realm and era of the "Super Receiver" my choice would be a Pioneer as I always felt they had a better, hotter tuner. Both were built well with the exception of a few "problem" units. In the Pioneer X50 and beyond series, I liked the looks of the Marantz better as the brushed metal lost the "sex appeal". I think the 1010 was a killer.

Either units are nice, if you like receivers.. Now regarding value.. I don't think I could pay anything close to what they are bringing. I would go get seperates and end up with more for less. IMHO.

Yes, beauty, and value are definitely in the eye of the beholder, so price can vary somewhat. Of course the market can vary also. You may be willing to part with whatever, and someone else may be willing to part with more.

I owned a new 4400 back in the '70's ($1200) I'd say personally, that it wasn't the prettiest of all the Marantz's, as IMO, the square buttons detracted from it's look versus other Marantz gear of the time, (I liked the round buttons on thier other equipment better) but it was still quite attractive none the less, particularly all lit up, with the CRT dancing away.

Certainly had lots of bells, and whistles, and the only reason I can see owning, or I should say "needing" one today, is if you own lots of 4-channel media (Quad Tapes-CD-4, and SQ LPs) Output in Quad was I believe rated at 50wpc, not 60wpc, and a "supposed" 125wpc bridged to Stereo Mode (Trivial I know, sorry)

Opinions on price of course cannot be firmly nailed down, but I suspect if the unit is absolutely flawless in every way, including Cabinet, I'd say possibly $800-$900 tops as a realistic value. Yes, I'm sure there's those who'd exceed it's new retail price, just to say they have it, and you don't. (bidding wars) lol

The CRT was in a way a gimmick, and certainly didn't add anything to the 4400's sound quality, or the precision of it's FM Tuner. It was more "eye candy" than anything else. (Although I sure wouldn't mind having myself a Day-Sequerra Tuner!) Have one burn out, and you'll need lots of luck trying to find another.

Years ago, I seen a slew of these CRT's come up on ebay, but that's long gone. Maybe about the only way now, is by buying another comparable unit, and cannibalizing it for parts. The shame is, if the CRT was "only" for sound field display, it wouldn't be a problem, but it's also used for FM signal strength, center channel tuning, and multipath distortion. Once it goes out, it compromises one's ability to properly tune FM Stations. You'll have to guess then "by ear".

If you don't have any 4-channel media, or 4 speakers and solely play 2-channel, I'd seriously consider something else. Mark

Last edited:
I've got a Marantz 4400 in nearly perfect shape with a working scope and wood case. I paid a very fair price considering what they're going for these days ($400). Only issue I've had was the relay needed cleaning. I've come up with another use for them, using it as a surround sound receiver. Simply hook up a DVD player with built in decoder and it is amazing, makes today's surround receivers pale in comparison. It also is a versitile and good performing receiver. Assuming your scope works it comes in handy for tuning FM stations. As far as replacing the CRT I think it was posted a while back in the vintage solid state forum that the scope used in the 2500/2600 which is more readily available has basically the same ratings and can be substituted. Best bet, if the scope works and you're not using it, leave it off.

As far as a 2325, having compared it to the 2330 (which I currently have), I'd take the 2330, IMHO it sounds a bit cleaner and is basically the same internally with a bit of tweaking being a later model. If you're lucky you may be able to find one cheaper. Maybe. They too have been going way up in cost. I got lucky and got one with all the dial lights out very cheaply and with some new bulbs it is as good as new.

There is/was an outfit that I found that had new replacement CRT's for the 4400 but they were pretty spendy. There should be a link in an older thread if anyone is interested.

If you break the parts down it can get pretty pricey. The SQA-2 and the wooden case alone in mint condition can easily fetch $150+ each. To replace the CRT can be just as much. And that doesn't even include the receiver or shipping for the individual items. Original mint manuals can go for $50. So if a collector sees one he'll go pretty high to get everything in one bundle.

I have a mint 4140 Quad amp with all the goodies and it sound pretty darn good. Great? That's for you to decide. I paid what seems like a lot but when you break it down I got a bargain. Prices are not going to get any lower with all this renewed interest in vintage Marantz and Quads.

As for what's to high? If someone really wants it, the cost becomes secondary and will go very high.

Welcome to AK, Capt. Fantasy

Horse traded today for a 4300 w/ SQA2 in a rough wood case. I'll get it up on AK classifieds after we go through it. Given it's weight I am not suprised at the bridge mode power rating!

Back
Top Bottom