MC2505 slant leg cabinet ...

Celadon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Yes, I have one of these original slant leg cabs (L52A maybe) cabs... -- in "decent" condition.
At least much nicer than the junk recently selling on the bay for $400 recently.

As I have seen original McIntosh rise in prices -- exponentially :)
I am so wondering about this cabinet ---

Stay factory and maybe respray the metal top accordingly...

OR

I have a few pieces of select Santos Brazillian Rosewood -- from maybe 20 years ago, I would "Fussy Cut"
and overlay the existing -- absoluty beautiful wood ---Difficult as hell to work with ...

SO, I end up with a real showpiece of a cab-- say I did the outer coverings with, rosewood, then slant legs and bottom with a kind of rubbery textrured deal -- think body shutz, but better.

Uhh,,, sure woud be PRETTY ... absolutely gorgeous as a matter of fact .....

BUT ---

AS time goes by --- as McIntosh does --- increase in value.

Having an original cabinet -- not ThAT bad of condition compare to the JUNK, recently seen on Ebay -----

DO I ?

Keep it like is --- and resparay redo as original as can be .

OR

Refinish this in Santos Rosewoood -- quality matched sides front etc -- that rosewood is HELL to work with!
One mistake, across the grain... "Yer goin against the grain -- they will never catch ya there."
Beautiful -- like JUst awesome...

Thoughts from others --- on RESALE VALUE ..

MY own mind says keep everything original -- upgradges are paid for by others with grand thoughts never repaid them ...

What say you folks ?

Refugee --
Yes, I do think that is what I will do, thank you for your decision making vote. :)
It's actually in decent condition, all corners square and tight, so less work for me; all the while retaining McIntosh originality.
Save the Rosewood for some other project.
Celadon
IMG_1982.JPG

Refugee --
Yes, I do think that is what I will do, thank you for your decision making vote. :)
It's actually in decent condition, all corners square and tight, so less work for me; all the while retaining McIntosh originality.
Save the Rosewood for some other project.
Celadon
View attachment 2899121
That's a pretty cabinet, you made the right decision. If it's a slant leg, it's L12. The L52 has the feet.

Why thank you @seacliffe301
L12 it is.

I don't think I did the glossy part -
I usually like Gun Stock Oil -- or maybe Terpentine and uhh linseed oil --
Like the old days --

Thanks,

Celadon - as slanted as me feet may be ...

As we move forward ...

Back
Top Bottom