MC2505

Fafaafooie

Hey All,

Total McIntosh newb here...

I stumbled across a MC2505 at a Pawn Shop and they want $775 out the door at first ask. I'm sure I can get it for $700 ish. They claim it was tested and it works properly but know nothing about it's history and assume it's all original. I can also return it if something wrong and can show them the issue. Knowing it probably will need some work is this a good price?

Also I currently have a a very nice Yamaha CR 2040 putting out about 125 wpc driving a pair of Polk 11TL on speaker A and on B some Mission Freedom 770's. Although I am a speaker junky and buy new ones all the time but these two sound fantastic when played together.

Will I notice the lack of power on the MC2505? The Yamaha is a beast and sounds great at lower volume. At full volume you can hear it down the street with my front door open. I wasn't looking to change but the McIntosh seems pretty inexpensive and I've always drooled over Mcintosh stuff. It could probably use a servicing, so what kind of money am I looking at assuming there is nothing major wrong and just needs a cleaning and maybe some recapping. I assume there are some usual suspects on these?

Last thing I am using a Dynavector MC cartridge on my turntable, what preamp would support that style of cartridge?

Thanks for any assistance!

I'm not 100% certain on the Mac service costs but it i seem to remember it starts at $500 (avg) and only goes up from there.

Based on past McIntosh repair bills, $500 sounds a towards the higher end of the average service/restoration cost of an MC2505. Depends on what is needed.

As to whether the extra power would be missed depends on whether 60 - 70 wpc is being exceeded when using the Yamaha. Basically the maximum headroom will be reduced by roughly 3 dB which probably won't make a huge amount of difference. Again this depends on how many of the 120 watts are actually being used.

The sensitivity of the speakers are 90 dB and 91 dB so in an average size room, the MC2505 will likely provide adequate amplification with most music. I would not expect a significant improvement in sound quality by simple virtue of using the Mac however.

Based on past McIntosh repair bills, $500 sounds a towards the higher end of the average service/restoration cost of an MC2505. Depends on what is needed.

As to whether the extra power would be missed depends on whether 60 - 70 wpc is being exceeded when using the Yamaha. Basically the maximum headroom will be reduced by roughly 3 dB which probably won't make a huge amount of difference. Again this depends on how many of the 120 watts are actually being used.

The sensitivity of the speakers are 90 dB and 91 dB so in an average size room, the MC2505 will likely provide adequate amplification with most music. I would not expect a significant improvement in sound quality by simple virtue of using the Mac however.

Thank you for your insight Sir

Agreeing with Caddy.

If a 2505-2 it is according to McIntosh a 72wpc amplifier. Will it sound better than the Yamaha? It might sound different, I had a CA-1010 and 2505-2 at the same time and felt that the 1010 was a bit brighter, the 2505 had a richer bass note.

Between the two I liked the relative simplicity of the McIntosh's circuitry, and the safety of the autoformer output.

For $700 if it works well and is complete it's a good deal. If the chrome chassis is excellent/perfect, even better (very light rust on the bends might be acceptable at that price), good glass would be expected with minor bubbling around the panlocs, top and bottom edges, and headphone jack. Major glass problems and/or cracks would be a deduct, like-new glass an add. A good walnut slant-leg case could add up to $200 in excellent condition.

As far as problems, there is at least one FSB, but it's pretty robust. Cleaning volume pots should NOT be deoxit, it should be the plastic-compatible product. There are a few electrolytics inside that can be replaced just based on age, the big PS caps might be fine, and there's not a lot to do to them, ... check the R values of the output emitter resistors maybe.

BTW is that because of my speaker choices or is the Yamaha somewhat on par with the Mac?

Agreeing with Caddy.

If a 2505-2 it is according to McIntosh a 72wpc amplifier. Will it sound better than the Yamaha? It might sound different, I had a CA-1010 and 2505-2 at the same time and felt that the 1010 was a bit brighter, the 2505 had a richer bass note.

Between the two I liked the relative simplicity of the McIntosh's circuitry, and the safety of the autoformer output.

For $700 if it works well and is complete it's a good deal. If the chrome chassis is excellent/perfect, even better (very light rust on the bends might be acceptable at that price), good glass would be expected with minor bubbling around the panlocs, top and bottom edges, and headphone jack. Major glass problems and/or cracks would be a deduct, like-new glass an add. A good walnut slant-leg case could add up to $200 in excellent condition.

As far as problems, there is at least one FSB, but it's pretty robust. Cleaning volume pots should NOT be deoxit, it should be the plastic-compatible product. There are a few electrolytics inside that can be replaced just based on age, the big PS caps might be fine, and there's not a lot to do to them, ... check the R values of the output emitter resistors maybe.
Excellent info. Thank you!

I listen to both Mac & Yamaha gear and the difference to me is Yamaha is more neutral or bright than Mac. I think they used to the speakers specs to compare the two amps. My 05 puts out 70-75 WPC so depending on how loud you listen the differences in output may or may not be noticed. There are not many who have had a 2505 who I know of who didn't say it's one of the better sounding McIntosh amps. I bought mine 48 years ago and still have it. If that's any indication to you. I have/had 5 Mac amps and the 05 sounds better to me than several of them. It's probably just me though. You might think differently after comparing it to your Yamaha. If it has the slant leg cabinet then I'd grab it and have it rebuilt by a McIntosh tech of high repute.

I listen to both Mac & Yamaha gear and the difference to me is Yamaha is more neutral or bright than Mac. I think they used to the speakers specs to compare the two amps. My 05 puts out 70-75 WPC so depending on how loud you listen the differences in output may or may not be noticed. There are not many who have had a 2505 who I know of who didn't say it's one of the better sounding McIntosh amps. I bought mine 48 years ago and still have it. If that's any indication to you. I have/had 5 Mac amps and the 05 sounds better to me than several of them. It's probably just me though. You might think differently after comparing it to your Yamaha. If it has the slant leg cabinet then I'd grab it and have it rebuilt by a McIntosh tech of high repute.

I'm going to go take some better pics and post them. I'm not exactly sure what you are describing on the slant legs.

And as far as getting a preamp with moving coil any thoughts? I do not want to get an external phono preamp.

If it has a cabinet that's already good.

Slant leg refers to looking at the cabinet from the front, the wooden legs angle down and run almost from the front to the back of the cabinet. Later and reproduction cabinets have plastic feet typically.

Originally the "legs" should have a strip of brown felt on the bottoms IIRC.

DSC_0131.JPG

As for a phono preamp you get get a decent one for a minimal amount or you can spend your children's college fund on one. If you look closely at the top left amp it's my 2505. Look at the legs on the cabinet. They are slanted towards the outside of the cabinet. Top right is a cabinet with the newer style legs. You can easily tell the difference.

BTW is that because of my speaker choices or is the Yamaha somewhat on par with the Mac?

I say this as a general statement based on my experience between various amplifiers, albeit limited but wide ranging equipment nonetheless. To be brutally frank, the only time I've been able to hear differences was when playing white noise. When actual music was being played, differences were virtually undiscernable.

If you want the complete "McIntosh experience" you'll want to pair the MC2505 with a Mc preamplifier or tuner-preamp. Otherwise, I really can't see any radical changes by continuing to use the receiver as a preamp with the MC2505 (assuming that's the plan). Of course, there's also the possibility of making things worse if the MC2505 is out of spec which would not make you very happy having just shelled out 7 bills.

Just citing the possibilities to help make an informed decision.

Last edited:
It being a pawn shop, I'd let this thing sit at $775 for a month and then show up with $500 in cash.

Safe to assume that the shop didn't pay much for it and are guestimating using Ebay 'sold' auctions as a price guide. Don't hesitate to lowball them and walk.

MC-2505 is a nice, loud amp. Not cutting-edge audiophilia but a nice entry point into the realm of the blue VU meters.

It being a pawn shop, I'd let this thing sit at $775 for a month and then show up with $500 in cash.

Safe to assume that the shop didn't pay much for it and are guestimating using Ebay 'sold' auctions as a price guide. Don't hesitate to lowball them and walk.

MC-2505 is a nice, loud amp. Not cutting-edge audiophilia but a nice entry point into the realm of the blue VU meters.
It's like you read my mind...

Much better deal here. MX113 + MC2105 (105 wpc) $1,200. Plus manuals and two cabinets to boot (worth $400 alone).

That's a deal if there ever was one.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/ele/d/ann-arbor-mcintosh-mc2105-mx113/7024962479.html

00V0V_9KziaLJQSrv_1200x900.jpg

I don't see $700 there at all.

Given the unknowns I'd be at $400. Even at that, I doubt anyone will be breaking the doors down anytime soon. If not receptive let them keep on looking at it on the shelf.

I don't see $700 there at all.

Given the unknowns I'd be at $400. Even at that, I doubt anyone will be breaking the doors down anytime soon. If not receptive let them keep on looking at it on the shelf.

It's actually in nice shape. Only one small bubble in glass and no rusting but it does look totally original.

I will keep looking. Thanks for all of your advice. Much appreciated. I wish Michigan was a little closer. Although it's 78° and sunny here and I'm headed to the golf course...

Back
Top Bottom