MIT Z Stabilizer--info?

beebs

Just got gifted this big metal beast called a "Z Stabilizer" by MIT. THere's precious little written ON the thing, and there's pretty much nothing on the web that I've been able to find via searching. MIT has no mention of this on their website, they only have something that looks like it installs in an outlet box and they call THAT a "Z-stabilizer".

This beast is roughly 17" x 6" x 12", weighs a ton. So I gather this is a "power conditioner", one of those things which, frankly, I've always relegated to the "$3,500 Speaker Wire" folks, out of my price range.

After I figured out where to put it, plugged my dual-ST-70/PAS3 setup into it, and pretty much had to pick my jaw up off the floor. The change was extremely noticeable. No hum, no buzz, no line noise at all. Just a blanket of silence and that wonderful tube sound. Bass *seems* tighter, punchier. The silence between songs is amazing. Wasn't prepared for this thing to actually do something so noticeable.

So, OK...I'm a believer now...I want to know more about this particular model of these things.

There's no model number or anything, so I'm guessing this was the first incarnation of this sort of thing? I like the groovy little blue running light. Since I haven't been able to find anything specifically about this particular model, thought I'd ask if anybody would know when this was made, any other info about it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• MIT-ZStabilizer.jpg
    MIT-ZStabilizer.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 85
I don't really know what they are. I gather from how I've seen them used, that they are meant as a noise filter, but not a power line stabilizer. I've never used one, but I have seen them in a number of systems, particularly at shows, but almost always in conjunction with an AC line conditioner, like a PS Audio, or such. My dealer has had them, even though he isn't an MiT, or Spectral dealer... next time I'm there I'll try to remember to ask about it. I've always been curious, but the conversation never came up... we tend to get off topic, so he has a lot of stuff "laying around" like that, that I would like to know more about.
From what little I could find through google, it looks like a number of Stereophile reviewers use them (listed in their system components), but like most of the stuff from Spectral/MiT, they haven't actually reviewed it!

...Oh, BTW, it looks like it cost $700 new.

Many thanks for the link and info. Odd that the name "Spectral" isn't anywhere on this thing.

Whether it's just a noise filter or a line conditioner or both, all I know is it makes a really major difference in the sound quality. The wiring here is ancient, and the computer is on most of the day, so there's always been "noise" of some sort (either low-end hum or high-end buzzing) behind the sound when I've used the tubes. One thing is certain: this thing totally eliminated ALL noise.

This is a quote from the page linked above:

"Spectral dealers were elated when the original MIT Z-Stabilizer was introduced. Previously we have been unable to recommend any available line conditioner or isolation product on the market due to the clear sonic aberrations apparent when used in the Spectral system. Richard Marsh's innovative parallel circuitry in the Z-Stabilizer solved all previous sonic concerns allowing the first optimum match with Spectral's high resolution power amps. The Z-Stabilizer works in concert with Spectral amplifiers to reject differential mode noise and RFI as well as improving mains Power Factor. No one who has evaluated the combination of the Z-Stabilizer allows the unique purity of Spectral's high-resolution amplification to be fully appreciated."

So from that it would seem it's both a filter and a line conditioner?

Found another link from 1996 (!) with this:

"IT Z-Stabilizer Mk.11 AC Line Treatment Device. Transformerless AC power-line treatment device, AC filter, and overvoltage protector. Number of AC outlets: one duplex (inserted in parallel with AC line). Dimensions: 17.25" W by 11.375" D by 5.625" H.Weight: 27 lbs. Price: $995 (includes 2m Z-Cord)."

The dimensions here seem to match this unit, as well as the weight, so maybe this is the one? Also the fact that it's from 1996, and this thing has a very "Nineties" look to it.

At any rate, I just was not prepared for the huge difference it made in the sound pumping out of my venerable old tubes. Now, I'm still not gonna become one of those "$3,500 Speaker Cable" guys, but from my experience with this big ol' metal box, I can now see how those with the funds and inclination could chase that dream.

Last edited:
I have a MIT Z Stabilizer now, got it used as a gift. A double blind test revealed no change when used with my audio equipment. HOWEVER, it did stop a digital clock in the house from running fast, with the MIT Z Stabilizer plugged into the same circuit the clock is, the clock now keeps perfect time. I did some measurements on the thing and what the device is (at least the "older" ones described here) are series resonant filters connected across the power line set to harmonics of the power line, i.e. 120, 180, 240, 360 Hz.
The clock was probably picking up extra counts from the harmonics on the power line. The device could be helpful for some CD players or other digital sources with inferior power supplies that suffer degraded performance with noisy power. It also might help computers that suffer from random reboots for no known reason. But for analog audio equipment with properly designed power supplies, I can't see it making any difference.

I have a MIT Z Stabilizer now, got it used as a gift. A double blind test revealed no change when used with my audio equipment. HOWEVER, it did stop a digital clock in the house from running fast, with the MIT Z Stabilizer plugged into the same circuit the clock is, the clock now keeps perfect time. I did some measurements on the thing and what the device is (at least the "older" ones described here) are series resonant filters connected across the power line set to harmonics of the power line, i.e. 120, 180, 240, 360 Hz.
The clock was probably picking up extra counts from the harmonics on the power line. The device could be helpful for some CD players or other digital sources with inferior power supplies that suffer degraded performance with noisy power. It also might help computers that suffer from random reboots for no known reason. But for analog audio equipment with properly designed power supplies, I can't see it making any difference.
What equipment are you using with it?

Most, if not all, MIT "network boxes" are simple zobel networks. That's why they are in sealed boxes. An audiophile on a different forum broke one open to find about a dollars worth of parts. In a quest for credibility, they had the temerity to use a great university's name. For shame.

Back
Top Bottom