More Bass from Chorus

theairguy

I have a set of Chorus speakers, they have the Bob Crites upgraded crossovers and horn driver upgrades. I was told by the guy that I bought them off of that you could cover one of the front ports at the bottom of the speaker and it would yield more bass? Does anyone know if that is true? I just thought I would ask before I cut out some foam and try it myself.. thanks

Heck you could cut out some foam WAAAYYYY before someone who has tried it happens to notice this thread and respond.

Are you looking for more, as in louder, or as in lower? Plugging the port may take them a bit lower, but not louder...at least in my experience. Try it and come to your own conclusions.

Last edited:
you can find out for yourself as mentioned with a couple of pieces of card board and some duct tape and a favotite CD with some deep bass.
If you want to re tune your Chorus to a lower frequency you need to extend your reflex vents to a length of 6 inches. You can do this with some stiff paper to roll up and make some longer vents and see what you think of the new lower (deeper) bass response.

• I agree with twiii. I did the port lengthening and it didn't make much difference. I just replaced my crossovers with Crites and that made a world of difference all around. If you want to experiment just fill one port with any type of foam and see if it makes a difference to you. You can block both also but with my 1's it was only a difference that you may be able to measure but not hear. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

• I agree with twiii. I did the port lengthening and it didn't make much difference. I just replaced my crossovers with Crites and that made a world of difference all around. If you want to experiment just fill one port with any type of foam and see if it makes a difference to you. You can block both also but with my 1's it was only a difference that you may be able to measure but not hear. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
you might want to go back and play with the port length now that you have fresh capacitors in your crossovers.Your old stock capacitors were obviously limiting your bass response when you experimented with the vent length.

you might want to go back and play with the port length now that you have fresh capacitors in your crossovers.Your old stock capacitors were obviously limiting your bass response when you experimented with the vent length.

I actually took them out about 30 min ago and found that they sound fine without them. I set up a subwoofer with them and it is miles better than the port change.

Last edited:
I actually took them out about 30 min ago and found that they sound fine without them. I set up a subwoofer with them and it is miles better than the port change.
Chorus does sound fine stock, that was not the point, the point was lowering bass response and you said yourself that when you installed fresh caps into the crossover that "that made a world of difference all around". Tuning the cabinet vents a little lower should have been audible. Longer vents simply result in a lower tuning frequency. That said the difference in tuning is only going to be around 4 Hz or so lower. The goal of the lower tuning with the longer vent is for those who don't want or can't take advantage of a sub.
Adding a sub to the system should have a more substantial impact on bass extension and weight. I have found not infrequently though when people add a sub(s) especially smaller or less expensive models that these sub(s) often don't play much deeper than the mains do (35 Hz seems to be the cut off of many smaller subs in the market) but they do add significantly to the bass output and so lend more weight to the system and make for a better balance. Subs which drop lower in response can be a lot of fun to listen to.
Generally with a full range loudspeaker which is going to be crossed over to a sub woofer the lower the main speaker plays the better/easier it will be to integrate the main speaker with the sub. The intention is to minimize overlap after crossover between the sub and the main speaker as frequencies approaching 100 Hz can be located by ear, this results in same time multiple sources from the sub and the main speaker woofer which result in confused stage and image.The steeper the crossover slope the better but a lower crossover point will minimize crossover intrusion and that usually sounds better than relying on steep slope crossovers which contribute to the sound.
Glad that you have found even more enjoyment from your Chorus now with fresh crossover and a sub in your system.

Back
Top Bottom