MPM4000 Big blue meters!

Panotaker

I got my MPM4000 Big Blue Meters in yesterday. Well, they are not exactly big, but they are blue, and definitely cool. They are the same size as a car radio. They are made for car audio, but they will work with any amplifier. You just need to provide 12 volts to it. I used a wall wart transformer, and then ran the amplifier speaker output to the meters. It looks exactly like a miniature McIntosh amp. I'm a DJ, and I have them hooked up right above my DJ mixer. I have the meters hooked up to my AudioEngine 5 speakers. It looks super cool, and my DJ friends will think I am running a McIntosh Amp. I fell in love with the big blue meters when I got my MC7300 amp last year. I got the idea from the guy who posted about building that McIntosh Clock a couple of weeks ago.
148882413.jpg

I see the meters are set for about 100 watts full scale. Is there a pot to allow use of smaller or larger amps?

The very last line goes to 200 and 200 is printed real small. The manual says that they are calibrated to be hooked up to 4 ohm speakers and read up to 200 watts. There are no pots to turn on the outside. An electronic tech can probably adjust something internally.

I'm glad you got one. They are a great way to add meters to us old tube guys...

Thanks for the mention,

Enjoy! and best regards,

hate to revive an old thread, but this is exactly what Im looking for. Ive been searching for a while on how to add meters to my system and this would fit perfectly. Does anyone know if these were built well? Or if there is another more economical way to add meters to my ma6200? Ive even considered calling Mac on the phone and asking where they get the meters from or buying just meters from them and building something

If I had a place to put them I get 4 to show the unmetered channels of my 207s

It would be cool if McIntosh just made some generic meters which were just db scale meters, which had variable input sensitivity options so you can calibrate them for your system, and they could have -10db, -20db, and -30db settings as well so you could actually effectively use them with any system at any volume....
You could either drive them from your speaker outputs or from a line level source such as the pre-amp output....

I would buy one to hook up to my Crown Macro-tech for one......

I reckon if McIntosh made them all the MC250, 2100, 2200 and MC275, 240,225, MC30,60 owners would be snapping them up, they wouldn't cost that much to produce.....
Lets face it, part of the McIntosh legacy is the Blue Meters.....

Come on McIntosh......:thmbsp: Get onto it......:yes:

hey! thats pretty damn cool.

BigV

(yes its me in the McIntosh Audio section, i've been getting interested... ;) )

Well, you've done it now!! This is how it starts.........I was a Sansui diehard, and now take a look at my signature......:D

I am struggling to figure out how to connect these. They don't have an input / output just input e.g.: Left Ch. Amp (+) Terminal and Left Ch. Amp (-) Terminal. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/536863/Mcintosh-Mpm4000.html?page=14#manual I am using these with a headphone amp splitter so that one output goes to my headphones and the other, presumably can go to the mpm4000 to show me left / right. Can someone help me with this? I wired up a charger that is a 12V ac/dc power adapter up to 5 amps and 60 watts and it turns on successfully. Would appreciate any help!

I have a suspicion the + and - wires go to BOTH the output of the amp and the speaker terminals. This device basically looks like a voltmeter just measuring the amplifier output voltage. Per the manual remember the meter is calibrated for a four ohm load.

Back
Top Bottom