My little FM system

lightcapture

Second system which sees minimal use in a spare room for local Christian and college FM radio stations
(NAD 7225PE receiver, Klipsch KSB3.1 speakers, Monster 16ga. speaker wire)
Would like to get much smaller speakers, half the size of the Klipsch, so stereo doesn't dominate the room.

5257EF4B-053B-4608-9FDA-297357B6F657.jpeg

Last edited:
Would like to get much smaller speakers, half the size of the Klipsch, so stereo doesn't dominate the room.
If you like the KSB sound signature but just want smaller then they did make the 1.1 and 2.1 versions that are basically the same yet smaller.

I have 4 of the KSB 1.1 around here,they're a decent speaker albeit just a tiny bit "warmer" than I excepected them to be.
I mean they're Klipsch right,so we're always told to expect them to be on the "bright" side of things.

Not IME with the KSB 1.1's,the horn for these uses a silk dome for the diapragm so it's not the least bit bright.
And the woofer is very nice in those,so for a small speaker it's got a good deal of low end.

Only real major difference between the 1.1 and the 2.1 & 3.1 is the 1.1 uses an ABS enclosure so they can also be used outdoors.

At one time I wanted a pair of all three of the series,but I just never got around to finding some nice 2.1 & 3.1 @ my price.

Anyhow I digress,those look nice but I get what you're saying,they DO kinda dominate that pic of the system.
Just felt I'd mention the KSB 3.1's little brothers.

Now if you're looking for a different sound signature,I'd probably suggest some small ADS as a good alternative to these.

HTH

Bret P.

Thanks all.
Zero-D, I'm not locked into Klipsch speakers, and would like to try something else. So many good preowned speakers out there.
Splatter, FM antenna is the lowly dipole. Works well for the stations I listen to. I'd like to try a Dynalab FM antenna with my main system using a Rotel tuner though.

Beautiful little setup!! I like the 3.1s - they do look a little overpowering in that corner, though. :idea:

Beautiful little setup!! I like the 3.1s - they do look a little overpowering in that corner, though. :idea:
Yes Imral, much better sound and looks when spread out along the right wall. But this is not an audio room so the system needs to be tightened up in the corner, and I will need appropriate speakers for this guest room.

Yes Imral, much better sound and looks when spread out along the right wall. But this is not an audio room so the system needs to be tightened up in the corner, and I will need appropriate speakers for this guest room.
You just go ahead and send those pesky speakers my way then... :naughty:

Sorry about that, someone must have left the door open at the Territorial/Alberta border! We are usually in the -30s ( or worse), this time of year.
Very funny. Looks like an interesting remote place to live from studying google maps. Are tourism and logging the main occupations there? Out of curiosity what kind of work do you do? You must me the only audiophile in Yellowknife.

Very funny. Looks like an interesting remote place to live from studying google maps. Are tourism and logging the main occupations there? Out of curiosity what kind of work do you do? You must me the only audiophile in Yellowknife.
The main employer here is government - Yellowknife is the capital city of the Territory so we have both Territorial and a fairly heavy Federal presence, followed by mining and exploration with tourism developing in a big way. No logging up here, the trees are small - think Charlie Brown Christmas trees. We are actually above the tree line but still within the Mackenzie River watershed.
All sorts of Asian tourists during the winter. The come to see the aurora. Started with the Japanese, then the Koreans started to come and now the Chinese have joined them in a big way. Aprox 110k came last year.
There are a number of audiophiles here, including my general manager who actually has a turntable in his office.
I work in developmental business lending - primarily but not exclusively to aboriginals. It is a private company owned 50/50 by the Dene and the Metis (original loan capital courtesy of the Feds). Most of our communities up here have only been part of a wage economy for a single generation. A lot of development to do.
The city of Yellowknife itself is quite nice and has everything you need, just less of it. An extremely busy airport with flights in and out to Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver a couple times a day as well as flights to the communities. Most of which are accessible only by air or ice roads in the winter.
It is a great place to live. The summers are fantastic with over 20 hours of daylight, lakes everywhere but with city amenities. We will be here until we retire. It is a very pricey place to live even though our wages are far above Canadian averages. This will give you an idea:

https://spectacularnwt.com/destinations/yellowknife

Second system which sees minimal use in a spare room for local Christian and college FM radio stations
(NAD 7225PE receiver, Klipsch KSB3.1 speakers, Monster 16ga. speaker wire)

View attachment 1400703

Added clearer and brighter photos.
76B01D83-FCFD-46FE-9A4F-E0B2EA7EC7FA.jpeg
B86B17CB-9EE8-4CC5-875B-4A7990A69EDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom