My New Little Friend Technics SE A7!

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
I recently got this on AK's Barter Town, was not real sure I even wanted it but have had Technics SUV 909 in the past, plu others like the big A7's, liked them quite well. Have not owned any Technics in several years now so it was time.

This amp was priced about double what is paid on the auction sites, so it looked like a decent deal. It was not until I unpacked its 21lbs that I was getting real impressed! It has two big square block power supplies, liquid cooled power transistors, their New Class A power. The internal were very impressive for ONLY a 60wpc amp with the potential for 120 mono strapped!! This baby is built very well-solid as a rock with a nice dual LED display and selectable meter ranging and speaker selection.

The sound, very dynamic- I cannot believe it's only 60 wpc, punches well above its weight class. Very quiet, just an unbelievable find! I am shoving signal to it with a Proton AP1000 and it seem flawless! My DBX DX5 never sounded so good!

Now the only thing find wrong with it is that I only have the one amp- gota get another and mono stap these monsters! I have re-opened my eyes to the old Technic line and am re-impressed!

Pics to follow- camera is on loan.
DC

Here are some nudies of the nice A7!
DC

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 129
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 104
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 114
I knew you would be impressed. That little bugger impressed the heck out of me.

You see the low profile and don't think much until you go to move it or pick it up. It's like a plate of steel!

Here is one photo of the exterior I have.

08071510.jpg

I was not familiar with these particular pieces until recently-WOW have I missed something special until now!! I will be on the look out for the matching pre and another one of these amp to mono strap with.

This amp reminds me off the early NAD line with its serious head room, has to be at least 2.5~3db. It does not heat up like most typical class A- the "New" class A probably takes care of this. It also has a natural sound, no strain or heaving to get high volume gains. It is truly a "studio" series piece. Wonder how much better the pre helps....if any? My Proton AP1000 sounds extremely nice with it.

Like I said, I have owned a lot of amps under 75 wpc, this is the first one I can take over a lot of 150wpc types or ones costing more or having better specs. Funny thing about audio, about the time you think you have heard and seen most everything-along comes a lost gem that you never knew was even around. From a top name brand like Technics at that how did I miss this line?
DC

Awesome heat sinks and power supply layout, great use of space. Very different build philosophy than the "box of air" type builds that feature a large cabinet with nothing in it. That graphite color would match up well with any of the Technics European gear too (SL-1710 for example).

Awesome heat sinks and power supply layout, great use of space. Very different build philosophy than the "box of air" type builds that feature a large cabinet with nothing in it. That graphite color would match up well with any of the Technics European gear too (SL-1710 for example).

I agree- for it apparent size it is very well built, I mean who who make a dual mono for just 60 watts! They put a lot under the hood here, like a 4 cylinder engine that is turbo charged! It is overbuilt for it size, back in the day they were showing off what they could REALLY do.....and did!
DC

Very nice... Many congrats on a truly great buy!

Thank you- I got dumb lucky! No telling how many other guy saw this and flipped right past it. As soon as I saw it I went to look it up, found the cut sheets on it, read them-said OMG and then jumped on it with all fours!

Some pieces just stand taller than others once you know their story! It pays well to do ones home work.
DC

The most successful are not followers, but leaders.

Thank you- I got dumb lucky! No telling how many other guy saw this and flipped right past it. As soon as I saw it I went to look it up, found the cut sheets on it, read them-said OMG and then jumped on it with all fours!

Some pieces just stand taller than others once you know their story! It pays well to do ones home work.
DC

DC

Same thing happened to me when I thru in a Class AA Technics integrated into my system, I new after the first song that the Denon/Adcom combo I had at the time were goners.

I wish every Ak'er could have been at my house that day, there would never be another "do all amps sound the same" thread.

Back
Top Bottom