Nagaoka MP-20

desertrat748

Picked up a Nagaoka MP-20 that was attached to a Technics 1700. I don't think it was used much if at all after viewing under the cheapy microscope. First album I played I was impressed. Compared it to an Empire 2000Z and had a hard time deciding which was better.

But after putting on about 20 hours with the MP 20, I'm hooked. Total addiction. I do not recommend getting one of these or the new model of this, the MP 200 unless you want to set your other MM/MI carts aside. For me, this will get me into a 12 step program. "Hi, my name is Dave and I'm an addict. I've been clean for almost 8 hours."

Fancy little cart with fancy output. It takes it to the bank with detail and terrific bass response that others can miss.

The only Nagaoka I've owned was an MP-110, a cartridge that received high praise. For whatever reason it sounded blah in my system. It did nothing wrong per se but lacked dynamicism and punch. I likely held overly high expectations for it. I've wanted to try one of the higher level MPs, especially the MP-200, but sticker shock has kept me away to date. At some point I'll run across a deal on one and will be happy to give it a try. Happy listening!

The only Nagaoka I've owned was an MP-110, a cartridge that received high praise. For whatever reason it sounded blah in my system. It did nothing wrong per se but lacked dynamicism and punch. I likely held overly high expectations for it. I've wanted to try one of the higher level MPs, especially the MP-200, but sticker shock has kept me away to date. At some point I'll run across a deal on one and will be happy to give it a try. Happy listening!

I got lucky gambling with the purchase because the table needed new output cables and owner thought it was the cartridge when they sold it. They didn’t care that they sold it with the cart.

This mp20 turned my head immediately as I listened to the first 5 seconds of the first album I played. I don’t think the mp110 is anything better than any other conical mi cart so I can understand if you weren’t impressed.

I hope you find either an older mp 20 or a great deal on mp 200. But I am betting that you would like it over the 110. What are you running now or what do you like currently?

I've been breaking in an AT-VM95SH just today, which has been surprisingly fantastic so far. I mostly have been rotating a Shure V15 Type IV and Grado Silver on a Thorens TD-160, and the little AT is going to earn a long-term place in the rotation, I think. The MP20 or MP200 are carts that every self-respecting phono cartridge slut (like me) will need to try before they die. It'll happen, just don't know when.

I've been breaking in an AT-VM95SH just today, which has been surprisingly fantastic so far. I mostly have been rotating a Shure V15 Type IV and Grado Silver on a Thorens TD-160, and the little AT is going to earn a long-term place in the rotation, I think. The MP20 or MP200 are carts that every self-respecting phono cartridge slut (like me) will need to try before they die. It'll happen, just don't know when.

The Nagaoka cartridges are a good match for your Thorens TP-16 arm!

I have the MP-110 and like it. I just haven't decided if I should just upgrade the stylus or go for a better model Nagaoka.

I have a few friends that are on YouTube with various postings and a heck of a lot more money to spend on audio than me. One had a few well recorded files linked with demos to the MP-200 and I was impressed from then on. Value wise the MP 110 wasn’t bad but it was night and day with the 200 detail and response. The 500 is another one that I don’t want to listen again to as I recall lusting after hearing it.

About a year ago I bought a NOS MP-11 for a very good price and was very pleased with the sound on my Yamaha YP-D8. This caused me to question how much better an upgrade to a newer model might sound. I found out from a former forum member that a MP-200 stylus would work on a MP-11 or MP-110 body without any mods. If true I could have a MP-200 for the price of a stylus. I took the gamble and could not be more pleased with the result. There is no way I can know if it's as good as complete MP-200 but for less than 1/2 price it was a good bet. I am not sure if a MP-200 stylus would work on a MP-20 but since the MP-200 replaced the MP-20 I would think it would.
JMS

About a year ago I bought a NOS MP-11 for a very good price and was very pleased with the sound on my Yamaha YP-D8. This caused me to question how much better an upgrade to a newer model might sound. I found out from a former forum member that a MP-200 stylus would work on a MP-11 or MP-110 body without any mods. If true I could have a MP-200 for the price of a stylus. I took the gamble and could not be more pleased with the result. There is no way I can know if it's as good as complete MP-200 but for less than 1/2 price it was a good bet. I am not sure if a MP-200 stylus would work on a MP-20 but since the MP-200 replaced the MP-20 I would think it would.
JMS

Supposedly there are minor updates for the 200 body vs a mp-11, but everyone that has both or has done the swap has been impressed. I’m sold and will be purchasing a 200 stylus for the future.

Last edited:
Supposedly there are minor updates for the 200 body vs a 110 or a mp-11, but everyone that has both or has done the swap has been impressed. I’m sold and will be purchasing a 200 stylus for the future.

The bodies of the Nagaoka MP-110, MP-150 and the MP-200 purportedly/allegedly to be the same material and construction with color differentiation. :idea:

The bodies of the Nagaoka MP-110, MP-150 and the MP-200 purportedly/allegedly to be the same material and construction with color differentiation. :idea:

Ive heard that too but also have heard that when asked, Nagaoka says they have made “improvements “ and performance wouldn’t be the same between the two. Idk as I don’t have both or never have seen the specs on them.

Ive heard that too but also have heard that when asked, Nagaoka says they have made “improvements “ and performance wouldn’t be the same between the two. Idk as I don’t have both or never have seen the specs on them.

To be clear, the bodies of the old series Nagaoka MP-11, MP-15, MP-20 are different from the improved bodies of the new series Nagaoka MP-110, MP-150 and MP-200. :)

Nope. The MP-100 and MP-110 share the same bodies (electrically). The MP-150 and MP-200 are electrically the same. As are the MP-300 and MP-500.

Here's a relevant quote from a post on the subject from another forum:

"Key point here is the 150 and 200 bodies are interchangeable. I recently measured their internals and they are exactly the same. Putting a 200 stylus into a 150 will yield the performance of a 200, and vice versa. I also measured the 110 and it is significantly lower in both resistance and inductance. Putting a 200 stylus into a 110 body will result in a rising high end."

Now what about a difference between a MP -20 and the MP -200. (That’s what I was talking about).

I didn’t write it well last posts. Supposed to be a difference between the MP-110 vs MP-200 bodies if you call Nagaoka. Won’t voice the same.

I don’t know if there’s any difference between a mp-20 and mp 200 but supposedly they have made improvements.

Last edited:
Nope. The MP-100 and MP-110 share the same bodies (electrically). The MP-150 and MP-200 are electrically the same. As are the MP-300 and MP-500.

Here's a relevant quote from a post on the subject from another forum:

"Key point here is the 150 and 200 bodies are interchangeable. I recently measured their internals and they are exactly the same. Putting a 200 stylus into a 150 will yield the performance of a 200, and vice versa. I also measured the 110 and it is significantly lower in both resistance and inductance. Putting a 200 stylus into a 110 body will result in a rising high end."

Thanks for the post!

Perhaps we can have our members do resistance and inductance measurement on the Nagaoka MP-100, MP-110, MP-150 and MP-200. :idea:

I am unable to do them all at this time. :dunno:

Now what about a difference between a MP -20 and the MP -200. (That’s what I was talking about).

Some improvement to the engine (winding) as well as the body shell construction and material from reading the literature ( some time ago).

Looking forward to what Manfred/lini have to elaborate. :)

Thanks for the post!

Perhaps we can have our members do resistance and inductance measurement on the Nagaoka MP-100, MP-110, MP-150 and MP-200. :idea:

I am unable to do them all at this time. :dunno:

I'm afraid I won't be much use in such an exercise. I only have an MP-150 body with a JN-P200 stylus and don't currently have access to a meter to measure the inductance and resistance.

I did, however, find this German language test report that covers the MP-150 and MP-300, complete with measured values of resistance and inductance:

http://www.nagaoka-deutschland.de/pdf/TESTBERICHT AUDIO.pdf

The reported values for the MP-150 and MP-300 seem close enough to be within expected tolerances:

Nagaoka-MP-150-and-MP-300-Measurements.jpg

The report is over 10 years old and also covers three Goldring cartridges (2200, 2300 and 2500). They did, at that time, consider the MP-150 a "best buy" (outstanding/superlative price/performance). That makes me feel good about my MP-150/JN-P200 combination. I picked it up with only 30 hours on the stylus for far less than the cost of a new MP-150 cartridge/stylus. Even the oddball color combination has started to grow on me:

Nagaoka-MP-150-200-4.jpg

I have a friend who is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design and she loves the tiny, bold splashes of color in contrast to my otherwise monochromatic looking system. Me, I like the way it sounds!

I'm afraid I won't be much use in such an exercise. I only have an MP-150 body with a JN-P200 stylus and don't currently have access to a meter to measure the inductance and resistance.

The reported values for the Nagaoka MP-150 and MP-300 are valuable information ! :thumbsup:

My personal experience are with the Nagaoka MP-11, B, Gold, MP-110 and MP-50 cartridges and nothing in between.

I shall try and find out more in the coming day! :)

Back
Top Bottom