need help finding proper relay....

whathahell

the unit is a crappy Sony STR SE391 that I need in the garage. It;s been a good beater for 15 years or so

The relay that is popping is labeled "(RY701) 1-515-921-11 RELAY (12V)" in the parts list...it is RY701 on the board layout drawing

The writing on the part is shown in the attached picture. The section showing it on the board layout is also attached, showing the pin layout

There are many relays in this unit but this is the monster that is causing the trouble. if I don't find a replacement i may try to clean it.

I am very limited in my knowledge of fixing gear but have replaced a relay before in an NAD, I got help from some repair notes online. I do not know enough to figure out what part I need and could use some help, at least to tell me how to figure it out...

thanks much

Attachments

• Sonly STR SE391 relay drawing.jpg
    Sonly STR SE391 relay drawing.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Sony STR SE391 relay photo.jpg
    Sony STR SE391 relay photo.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 41
Hang on a moment! The relay you show a picture of is a SPST relay but the part you show in the service manual is a DPDT relay. Which is the one you need?

Thank you all for the feedback. Curious to know how to figure this out in case it a different relay....are you looking at the pinout and 12v, 100 amps, 250 volt spec and that's it? Or is it something else?

Thanks

Footprint,coil voltage,coil resistance,contact current, type of terminals ie.solder lug, plug-in or through hole PC pins, physical size.

Thank you all for the feedback. Curious to know how to figure this out in case it a different relay....are you looking at the pinout and 12v, 100 amps, 250 volt spec and that's it? Or is it something else?

Thanks

To start with, the relay has the part number on the case. Google that and if it's still available it will come up.
In this case you need to figure out which relay you really need.
What are the symptoms? If the relay is clicking and turning off, it is not likely that the relay is the problem. The unit is probably going into protection because there is a fault condition. Does it do it only at high volume? Does it still do it with the speakers disconnected and the volume turned all the way down?

Hang on a moment! The relay you show a picture of is a SPST relay but the part you show in the service manual is a DPDT relay. Which is the one you need?

:thmbsp:

I just googled the service manual, and the relay part numbers, from the op's original photo..... and they indeed don't seem to correspond.

Are you sure that you've identified the RY701 relay correctly when you took the photo ? or could it be one of the other 5 or 6 relays, e.g., RY901 ?

I'll go back to it this evening. You could be right but I thought I had my view oriented correctly. I'll report back

Ok, sometimes my work schedule suffers because I can't let a more interesting thing rest.....

Here is the real RY710, thank you for pointing that out.

and upon further testing, this is the one that is failing. The unit comes on then this relay clicks off. i touch it or tap it lightly and I can feel it switch on again. I can also sometimes get this to happen when I touch one of the caps next to it or move the board it's mounted to, or touch the transformer. in fact, If I lift the board just slightly away from the surface below it, the unit stay operational. Maybe a ground issue? or it;s shorting out on the pan below?

either way, this relay is on/off and is effected by touching or tapping it.

my thought is to replace it and go from there, if it turns out to be another cause I'm not sure it's work the trouble

thanks for the help, smart folks

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtSzCF3XBhmWxypdXe6AlVW5E2ljWmx8qc=

Attachments

• Sony STR SE391 relay photo 2.jpg
    Sony STR SE391 relay photo 2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 18
It could also be a bad solder point somewhere on the board. I would reflow the solder points before replacing the relay.

putting this wedge here to lift the board, or perhaps I'm pushing against a loose solder joint somewhere, keeps the unit running without failure

Attachments

• wedge.jpg
    wedge.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 23
BTW, It's been running all day like this, no burning, no excessive heat, distortion, noises, etc....

I think I need to reflow the solder on that part of the board as Treeslayer said. Or solder that clamp in place where it sits

look with a magnifier for cracked solder and remove old solder and replace with new ..if that doesn't fix it look for a crack in the board .
the wedge you are using is called a bodge ..it will likely fail sooner or later ..

Ok, sometimes my work schedule suffers because I can't let a more interesting thing rest.....

Here is the real RY710, thank you for pointing that out.

and upon further testing, this is the one that is failing. The unit comes on then this relay clicks off. i touch it or tap it lightly and I can feel it switch on again. I can also sometimes get this to happen when I touch one of the caps next to it or move the board it's mounted to, or touch the transformer. in fact, If I lift the board just slightly away from the surface below it, the unit stay operational. Maybe a ground issue? or it;s shorting out on the pan below?

either way, this relay is on/off and is effected by touching or tapping it.

my thought is to replace it and go from there, if it turns out to be another cause I'm not sure it's work the trouble

thanks for the help, smart folks

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtSzCF3XBhmWxypdXe6AlVW5E2ljWmx8qc=

Check the solder connections for that relay first.

Back
Top Bottom