Need Help settling on speakers

CC8207

picked up a turntable (Harmon Kardon T25) and a receiver (Sony STR-6055) recently.

Trying to settle on speakers, could use help from you fine folks. Here are the few I'm looking at for sale locally:

Paradigm 7se (180$)

JBL Northridge ND310 (200$)

Onkyo Fusion AV S-31 ($50)

Just looking for input on if any of these would be better than others with the TT/receiver I have or if any are just straight junk? Stereo would be in our living room with a cathedral ceiling if it makes a difference.

Mostly rock/metal. A lot of grateful dead, rush, floyd. but also a lot of death metal. I like most styles, grandma turned me onto Elvis when I was a kid and have a stack of her old records I can't wait to listen to again.

I would get the Paradigm 7se. I have been looking for a pair for a while. I would jump on them for that price.

I have multiple Paradigm speakers in various systems, including Monitor 9, Titans, 3se, and 5se. The Paradigm 5se is a smaller version of the 7se. The 5se is my favorite Paradigm.

I think the new member needs large bass heavy speakers to reproduce the Double drummers and Bass heavy Rhythm the Dead is famous for.
in his large living space.
Need I mention the Death Metal that deserves to be felt to be enjoyed.
I’m not saying the Paradigms are bad. In a smaller room playing Jazz
They would be better
Shall we talk about Resale when the Op Climbs up the Fidelity Ladder

But if the double drummers and bass heavy rhythm (and everything else) sounds like a very poor copy of the original.....no thanks.
He can always add a subwoofer someday.

At any price point They are in ,
Jbls rarely distort or sound like crap
I doubt that the Op is looking to add any sub
Or any thing
Sounds like he’s just getting started
Again Jbls have very strong resale
Paradigm very limited
Let’s not forget he has older likely
Not upgraded 40 yr old mid/lower
Powered receivers.

....A lot of grateful dead... but also a lot of death metal.

Outstanding!!!!

Back to your speaker question, I too would lean towards the Paradigms. You mentioned the speakers are for sale locally have you inquired or has it been listed if you can demo them?

we're going for a Kayak ride!
HE Doesn't even mind me cranking up my Altec 604's

Back
Top Bottom