Need help with a setup: Altec Lansing Model 3s

Natedawg0116

Hello everyone. I’m just getting into HiFi sound systems as well as vinyl and I could use some help on picking a good setup. I just recently bought a uturn orbit turntable and picked up a pair of altec landing model 3 speakers from Facebook marketplace for $100. I didn’t know much about them besides the fact that they looked cool and they seemed to have pretty decent specs for the price. Now I don’t know much about amplifiers so what receiver do you think would pair well with the speakers? I’d prefer to shop vintage because of my budget but if there are some good receivers out now for around $200 I’d definitely be interested in that as well. Thank you in advance!

..picked up a pair of altec landing model 3 speakers ... I don’t know much about amplifiers so what receiver do you think would pair well with the speakers? I’d prefer to shop vintage because of my budget but if there are some good receivers out now for around $200 I’d definitely be interested in that as well. Thank you in advance!

Per your introductions thread you mention looking for an amplifier and above you mention amplifiers again and then receiver.

Not trying to be rude but do you know the difference between the 2 as they are different?

Clarify what it is you're actually looking for and I'm sure there will be a bunch of good suggestions going forward.

Nice speakers!!! congrats on your acquisition

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 8.04.09 PM.png

Per your introductions thread you mention looking for an amplifier and above you mention amplifiers again and then receiver.

Not trying to be rude but do you know the difference between the 2 as they are different?

Clarify what it is you're actually looking for and I'm sure there will be a bunch of good suggestions going forward.

Nice speakers!!! congrats on your acquisition

View attachment 2677240
Honestly I thought they were the same thing. In that case then I will need an amplifier

^ Again not trying to be rude, just want to give you a brief tutorial to make sure you understand

An "Amplifier" is just that, it amplifies the audio signal being fed it, so if you're looking for an amplifier you would need a "Pre-Amplifier" which you can think of as a control center. This unit is what accepts your audio signals (Radio, CD, Tape, Turntable) feeds the "Amplifier" and controls the volume, bass treble, speaker balance etc.

If this is what your aiming for then you would be looking at finding/purchasing 2 separate pieces of equipment, if you're into AM/FM Radio then you would need a 3rd piece called a "Tuner"

Think of a "Receiver" as an all in one unit comprising of an "Amplifier" paired with a "Pre-Amplifier" & "Tuner" all under the same hood.

.. I’d prefer to shop vintage because of my budget but if there are some good receivers out now for around $200 I’d definitely be interested..

My guess is you're looking for a receiver, as you mentioned in initial post, scope out your local CL, FB Marketplace, OfferUp etc.

Another potentially good source would be local Garage/Yard/Estate sales. A lot of us here have found good vintage equipment this way in some cases for very little amounts of money however that was back in the day so good deals are less likely to occur.

Some vintage brands, to name a few, that would fit in in with your vintage vibe

Sansui, Yamaha, Sony, Luxman, Pioneer, Kenwood actually there's a bunch more but those are some brands that folk around here like.

Keep asking questions and I'm sure we'll be able to assist, point in the right direction etc

Ok
^ Again not trying to be rude, just want to give you a brief tutorial to make sure you understand

An "Amplifier" is just that, it amplifies the audio signal being fed it, so if you're looking for an amplifier you would need a "Pre-Amplifier" which you can think of as a control center. This unit is what accepts your audio signals (Radio, CD, Tape, Turntable) feeds the "Amplifier" and controls the volume, bass treble, speaker balance etc.

If this is what your aiming for then you would be looking at finding/purchasing 2 separate pieces of equipment, if you're into AM/FM Radio then you would need a 3rd piece called a "Tuner"

Think of a "Receiver" as an all in one unit comprising of an "Amplifier" paired with a "Pre-Amplifier" & "Tuner" all under the same hood.

My guess is you're looking for a receiver, as you mentioned in initial post, scope out your local CL, FB Marketplace, OfferUp etc.

Another potentially good source would be local Garage/Yard/Estate sales. A lot of us here have found good vintage equipment this way in some cases for very little amounts of money however that was back in the day so good deals are less likely to occur.

Some vintage brands, to name a few, that would fit in in with your vintage vibe

Sansui, Yamaha, Sony, Luxman, Pioneer, Kenwood actually there's a bunch more but those are some brands that folk around here like.

Keep asking questions and I'm sure we'll be able to assist, point in the right direction etc
Okay that makes a lot more sense thanks for the clarification. My goal is to play vinyl for right now but I do want to eventually be apple to play cassettes and cds. My turntable has a pre amp built in and with the the speakers I just got all I need is an amplifier. But in some of the YouTube videos I watched they would interchange amplifier and receiver which is why I thought they were the same thing. Thanks for not making me feel dumb lol

Actually, you may need an integrated amplifier, which is the preamp and amp. With just an amp, you don't have a volume control. Which you may want, unless your turntable phono stage has a volume control. And even if it does, you can't use any other source.

Back
Top Bottom