Need help with Altec Model 19 speaker grills!

RockinSteve

I bought some Model 19's a while back and am truly enjoying the crap out of them. They did not come with the speaker cover grills. I need a diagram or plans to build some. Maybe even a photo of the back to see the construction. And what about the Velcro buttons? Any help would be appreciated.

The only picture I could find was a two piece frame for top and bottom with brown cloth stretched around it. Very simple, and any color can be used, but it will knock down some HF.

I can't find any pics of the grills, either. There are a number of Model 19 owners here. Surely one of them can take some pics and measurements for you. Maybe they haven't seen your post. For some reason your post just now showed up on my board, despite having been posted nearly a week ago. Odd.

GeeDeeEmm

Everytime someone responds to the thread, it gets bumped back to the top of the list.

I could help you with Model 17 grills, but not Model 19. Sorry.

You might be able to pick up grills for a single speaker on ebay, and build a copy of them for your speakers.

Personally I would just leave the grills off anyways:)

The top one is 11 inches high by 30 and the bottom is 19 height by 30.

I've created 3 pairs of each for some model 19's that I built. I used wood (2 inch (1.5) trimmed down to 1 inch) and mitered the corners and put black grill cloth that I bought at parts express. I stapled (inside not back side) and glued the fabric on. Additionally the original velcro is next to impossible to find. I used the following also from Parts Express. The Grills turned out good but I tend to run my speakers without the grills off.

Parts Express Pressfit Speaker Grill Guides 8 Pair -
Part # 260-366

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do what I can to help.

I believe the grills (at least at one time) used the plastic interlocking pin thingies. You had to whack on them to get to mate, and pulling them apart appears to pull them off the frame. At least my brother's pair are missing one. I'd replace them with velcro - easy to find and strong enough.

Everytime someone responds to the thread, it gets bumped back to the top of the list.

I could help you with Model 17 grills, but not Model 19. Sorry.

You might be able to pick up grills for a single speaker on ebay, and build a copy of them for your speakers.

Personally I would just leave the grills off anyways:)

After reading the posts on this subject I think I can put some together. I'm pretty good at wood projects and it doesn't seem like rocket science. I just want to put them on when I'm not listeneing to them. My nieces kids run around the basement (my listening room) sometimes and just don't want the woofers damaged. Go figure. Thanks for all the replies though peeps!

The top one is 11 inches high by 30 and the bottom is 19 height by 30.

I've created 3 pairs of each for some model 19's that I built. I used wood (2 inch (1.5) trimmed down to 1 inch) and mitered the corners and put black grill cloth that I bought at parts express. I stapled (inside not back side) and glued the fabric on. Additionally the original velcro is next to impossible to find. I used the following also from Parts Express. The Grills turned out good but I tend to run my speakers without the grills off.

Parts Express Pressfit Speaker Grill Guides 8 Pair -
Part # 260-366

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do what I can to help.

Steve, I have a pair of 19's with the original grilles. I'd be happy to take some photos of the grilles and the framework for you, and give you exact dimensions, if you'd like. I would spray paint the wood frames with some flat black paint before you apply the cloth, so the light colored wood doesn't show through the cloth. That is how they came from the factory. Also, there is a seller on eBay who has aftermarket grille fasteners that look pretty much like the originals. Just look on eBay for Altec Model 19 Fasteners. They are kind of expensive, though, since you will need 16 sets of them for all four grilles. My Model 19's have the original grille fasteners, and they work very well. I'm not sure if you have walnut or oak Model 19's, but the walnut came with black grilles, while the oak came with brown. Mine are walnut with black grilles. Let me know if you have any questions. My name is Jeff.

If you want to go all out, another seller on eBay might have a pair of the original Altec Lansing badges for the Model 19. He doesn't say they are for Model 19, but they look just like the badges on my speakers. The seller doesn't specify the size, but mine are 2" in diameter. I would make sure and ask him what size they are before I bought them. They are $65 or best offer for the pair, plus $4.30 shipping. Just look for Altec Lansing Badges. They are round with a pin that goes through the cloth. There is a round plastic backing plate, and a clip holds the badge in place. The way that the backing plate is cupped allows the badge to pull back into the stretchy grille cloth and sit pretty much flush with the front of the grille cloth. They would be a nice finishing touch.

If you are in the Orange County, So Cal area, there is a set of Model 19 cabinets on C/L, with grills and a woofer very reasonable.

00h0h_9ra4HpA1xIj_600x450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom