"new" Dual 1226 any Dual fans out there?

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
I picked up a Dual 1226 at a local thrift for 5 bucks today. I took the cart off my AR-XA and the Dual outplays it in everyway. More open, alive and much more detailed,lots of wonderful bass. I am very surprised. I know that the AR isn't the top of the heap, but it is a venerable classic. I didn't think that an idler drive semi-auto table could outshine it so much? I put an AT250 cart on it and love it, it is going to be a long night, in a good way :D
I have one question so far. When the arm gets to the end of the record it lifts up. But then it keeps going up and down. Is this normal, kind of seems odd to me. Also I like the pitch control, but does anybody know where I can find one of those strobe mats to get the pitch right, or should I just do it by ear?

No, VJ, that's not right. The 1226 was a changer, so it should lift and return, either to drop an LP & begin again, or to shut off.
It's mechanical, and the Dual changers were a bit "busy" (well, all changers were "busy" that way sorta).
It could just require some cleaning and adjustment, or perhaps (yikes) a part needs replacement. Out of my league, sorry.
But, it doesn't seem to hurt the tracking & playback :D

good luck,
Pete

Nope, tracks and plays wonderfully! I did a little more research and there is screw under the arm that is supposed to adjust the return. Of course it was 4 am when I found out so not the best time to do adjustments. And yes, busy is definetely the word, more whirring and clicking than my old Roberts R2R, clunk,click,whirr, clink, play.....

strobe

i found a dos program that pits out a strobe platter that you print of your computer, the damn thing acutally works. Used on my dual 1210 and my 1229( it's my friends but i'm using it right know).

i search google for it. The program was free, i think i have it somewhere on my computer. i'll try to find it

shibby

Allan

Dual tonearm horizontal travel problem

I just signed up to share my experience with Dual 1226 TT hoping that someone might find the information useful.
I picked up a Dual 1226 at a local thrift for 5 bucks today.
Same here, bro. :banana: $4.99 for a Dual 1226 at Goodwill store last week. Mine was complete with Shure cart and dust cover. All in v. good cosmetic shape for a 35 year old TT, with a few minor mechanical quirks.

It is a great sounding table, and I guess it must be their modest looks what lands them in thrift stores when they grow older.

In my 1226 the tonearm would not travel by itself to the starting point and back. And yes, at the end of record it just went up and down as you described it.

I found out from some great threads here that there is a plastic pimple (or nipple) underneath the tonearm assembly to provide friction and make the tonearm travel to the edge of record and then back to its resting post at the end of play. Search this forum (or Google, or ebay) for steuerpimpel to get more info about the problem.

I fixed mine in about half hour after I found out what was hurting.

Sharing my experience:

1. Don't bother getting "original" steuerpimpel, DYO works just as well, if not better. Here is what to do next.

2. Protect the tonearm from damage at all times, lock it in its home position and don't let the weight of the table rest on it at any time.

3. To open the TT remove the platter first (steel spring ring pry w. a small flat screwdriver) and losen (~3 turns each) two large shiny bolts on the top of the table (US quarter coin fits perfect) until you can move them up and down. Don't touch any other screws. Gently rest the TT on its side and tilt the two lose screws inwards until you can separate the table from its casing. Use hands (no tools) and be gentle. Use flashlight to see inside what's going on with the two screws. Protect the tonearm from damage at all times.

4. Plan on cleaning and lubricating your TT. You will need some synthetic motor oil and white lithium grease. Use Q-tips and 91% rubbing alcohol to wipe off old gunky grease. Great info on lubrication is found here.

5. Rest the table upside down (tonearm!:nono:) and locate a black plastic lever marked with red arrow on the first picture below. This is the only part to be removed to replace the steuerpimpel. A tiny C-clip on one side needs to be removed, use small screwdriver or scratch awl to take it out. It must go back there so don't lose it.

6. Make your own "original" steuerpimpel from whatever you fancy: 16-gauge wire insulation, small heatshrink tube, ball point pen refill: see different pictures how it was made. I used small clean section of the end of a ball point pen refill with GREAT results. The most important is the length of your steuerpimpel - this has to be about 1/2 mm above the metal tip - no more (see info on the last picture).

7. If you happen to lose or break the tiny C-clip, just wrap around the grove a piece of paper clip. Put it all together and enjoy your "like new" Dual 1226 :music:

========= IMPORTANT EDIT =========

As mentioned by bohhey below and shown in the last picture, the steuerpimpel must not be too long or it will pressure the tonearm's bearing and might damage it.

In my experience, the steuerpimpel needs to protrude only about 1/2 mm beyond the tip of the metal pin, or as bohhey put it, it needs to be "only friction fit". A good way to test it is to see if the tonearm can still be moved with finger upwards during its automatic travel at the very beginning or at the end of play. If it stays lifted all the way up really hard with no further "wiggle room" upwards then the steuerpimpel is still too long and needs to be trimmed.

Attachments

• steuerpimpel_1.jpg
    steuerpimpel_1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 330
  • steuerpimpel_2.jpg
    steuerpimpel_2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 317
  • steuerpimpel_3.jpg
    steuerpimpel_3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 307
  • steuerpimpel_4.jpg
    steuerpimpel_4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 313
  • Make own Pimpelshaft.jpg
    Make own Pimpelshaft.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
The above post has a lot of great advise. For what it's worth I bought my 1226 brand new in 1974 and used it as recently as yesterday. It's a thing of beauty and will last forever it seems with just regular maintenance and care. Once you have the bugs worked out a can promise you that it will be a keeper. Good luck with it and enjoy.
steve

The above post has a lot of great advise. For what it's worth I bought my 1226 brand new in 1974 and used it as recently as yesterday. It's a thing of beauty and will last forever it seems with just regular maintenance and care. Once you have the bugs worked out a can promise you that it will be a keeper. Good luck with it and enjoy.
steve
Thanks! The pictures I attached did not show up, it might be because it's my first post. If so, I will edit and update it later on with the pics. :thmbsp:

I'm really impressed with the mechanics of the 1226. Cleaned and lubed works like new. The only thing that worries me a bit is the idler wheel. When the rubber on it deteriorates it will be hard, if not impossible, to get a fresh replacement of comparable quality. It is still in a great shape though.

I see a problem. The pin that the clutch tip is mounted on is spring loaded. As the clutch lever is depressed by automatic operation, it makes contact with the clutch tip, achieves the required friction, and pishes the pin up as needed. The pin clutch tip you show is way to long. It needs to be shorter, allow for full travel of the pin and be a tight, friction fit.

I see a problem. ...The pin clutch tip you show is way to long. It needs to be shorter, allow for full travel of the pin and be a tight, friction fit.
You are absolutely right. The attached pictures were collected from different sources as I looked how others wrestled with the fix. The last one, made by some German fellow, explains the repair very well: the steuerpimpel (plastic sleeve) should stick about 1mm above the end of the metal pin, which gives it just about "friction fit."

1mm = 0.0394" or less than 3/64 of an inch :D

A 1229 owner here and that platter, heavy as a manhole cover as some AKers would say, is awesome. My Dual is one of 3 models (other 2 are Pioneers) that I rotate through my main system. Love the look, love the sound.

Exceptional write up. Thank you. I've been putting off fixing my steuerpimpel. Just did so with a plastic tube from a ballpoint pen. Good as new. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom