New Speakers! Very controversial ...

damacman

Resident Psycho
I must say, these sounded quite good when I auditioned them. So, I opened my wallet and they came home with me. Speakers, boxes, packaging, EQ, manuals, and tulip stands - all from the original owner and all in primo condition.

MC2500 is at the ready ... time to weigh in on this debate from a first hand basis - and I'm really looking forward to this.

Attachments

• 04F8DDD2-CB46-44FA-8772-3F9C7052A593.jpeg
    04F8DDD2-CB46-44FA-8772-3F9C7052A593.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 665
Nope. Although I was always at odds with Bose's efforts in automotive and home "theater", I have always respected their efforts in traditional loudspeakers.

Love 'em or hate 'em, 901s earned a place in HiFi decades ago. In addition, I find the research to development phase of the 901s to be fascinating.

Nope. Although I was always at odds with Bose's efforts in automotive and home "theater", I have always respected their efforts in traditional loudspeakers.

Love 'em or hate 'em, 901s earned a place in HiFi decades ago. In addition, I find the research to development phase of the 901s to be fascinating.
I would like to try a pair. I’ve always thought a nice set of later 501’s sounded good especially at low volume.

Never had a pair of 901s to try but Bose has been an innovator at some times in its history. I still remember looking for the speakers at my friends house and my friend laughing and pointing to his Bose Wave Radio/CD. I was truly amazed that so much bass could come out of something so small.
Respectable purchase. Please let us know how you like them.

I’ll be interested to know what you think of them—especially powered by that big MAC. In the late 1970s and early ‘80s, while in high school, I had two pair of 901IVs powered by 2 Phase Linear 400II amps (running 420 wpc). You can really push them with watts. I used them, aimed backwards, professionally in a traveling disco (weddings, proms, homecoming dances, bars, street parties) and at home, properly set up, powered by Marantz. (I wanted Klipsch La Scalas but they were too expensive and too big.) Are 901s HiFi? IDK. They thrive in the midrange. And they’ll blow dry your hair and blow out your eardrums if you stand too close to their rears. They were fun and loud and engaging. Never disappointed the crowd. (Although a couple of audiophiles told me Altec VOTT speakers would be better for bass.) I’ll say that I enjoyed the 901s (even though at the time I lusted after Klipschorns), and that they could certainly enliven an auditorium filled with hundreds of dancers.

Last edited:
I had several 901 it is true that for the quality of the sound produced we are not in the same category as VOTT or others but not in the same price category either as they require a lot of watts. I gave a pair to one of my sons in law and they still love them. Respect to these boxes that are popular and impressive when properly set up and powered up to get a party going without breaking your back.

MC2500 is at the ready

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I hope you have the uncluttered wall and corners needed to set them up properly, if not it will just be unregulated noise coming from them.

Back
Top Bottom