New (to me) car I couldn’t pass up.

Farmhand

3CEE91A9-9936-447E-88B9-58D3FAEEFCBE.jpeg I went looking for a project car I could afford with my tax refund. And I’ve always liked the Saab 9-5 wagon. I did a LOT of homework and bided my time until this came along. 1999, one owner, 99 percent rust free. It needs a few odds and ends as these cars do but I can handle it all myself.
$750 and I drove it 80 miles home.

Very sweet!

I owned a 94 Saab CS9000, and it was a great car to drive and the quality of materials was great. An awesome rig in the snow, comfortable, and oozed luxury.

Mine was a bit neurotic in that car was not happy unless a few things were broke in it. I also found that the OEM level parts are expensive, and the after market ones can be of questionable quality. In some cases you are better off rebuilding your worn out part.

Enjoy your Saab, it looks to be in awesome shape! Looks like a great project.

Cheers
Mister Pig

This will be the first car I’ve owned that won’t get any aftermarket audio- those days are done, at least for now. But it does need the factory sub replaced, so I’ll do that.
As an added bonus, WAF of the car is very high.

That looks great!

All of the car ads I see constantly remind me of how brainwashed and complacent we can be about the cost of automobiles in our lives. Insurance, payments, upkeep.....all for the suggested improvement in social acceptance and standing.

I realize the implications of a modern industrial economy. Of course we make money to spend and keep the economic cogs turning. I am just pointing out that the associated costs are likely not fully considered by many, many people.

Of course there will be costs associated with a 20 year old car that something much newer won't have, but the opposite is true as well. In my state, NY, a new car @ $25K would incur a sales tax of $2000 (depending on county) that can never be recovered. The $750 Saab would have a sales tax of $60. Depending on the way one chooses to look at it, that could be $1k available for improvements just on the sales tax difference.

Conclusion? Nice pick @Farmhand

Automatic. Which is ok with me. This is the base model, so no OnStar or boost gauge. Things it needs:
Direct ignition cassette
Drivers window rollers
Information screen circuit contact strip
Rear hatch struts
Tires (found a good set used)
Rear end needs coil spring boosters.
With all that it’s coming in around $1100. The front seats are pretty stiff, getting a leather upholstery kit when the weather warms up.

Back
Top Bottom