Newby, having fun again with a modest system

I love the looks of the Yamaha! I tend to agree with you on the speakers being the weak link - if you ever do get the upgrade bug again, I would start there. Meanwhile, congrats on that score of yammi - it's a piece that can stay with you for a long time to come, before having to upgrade...If you are ready to upgrade the speakers, post it for suggestions and no doubt you will get many good advices...welcome to this gloriously fun hobby - but please don't spend too much money too fast. Research and go slow and you will be rewarded...

What have you folks done to me? :rflmao:

I've thoroughly enjoyed moving my "garage system" into the friendlier confines of the living room, and delving into vinyl again with adding a turntable. My son had expressed some interest, having caught some of my enthusiasm, so I poked around in the shop where I got the turntable. And found this.

View attachment 1358033

Yamaha CR-1040. All original except a service and lamp retrofit.

Impulse buy? Perhaps. I listened to it in the shop. Read furiously, shrugged my shoulders. Haggled a little. But really, my mind cast back to 40 years ago, and the wonderful Yamaha CR-420 I had. This bigger brother shared the spare, elegant face, and... well, I brought it home.

I'm stunned. Audiophile, I ain't. Is this thing performing at the level it did 39 years ago? Of course not. Could I tell? No. To neophyte ears, I've sent it all sorts of CD's today, including my only quality cassette I'd recorded eons ago, and a good cross-section of my newly acquired vinyl. This included a 1959 Miles Davis 3-track recording, a digital-to-vinyl record, an old record in fairly good shape of Zep II, and a Queen remaster. The radio receiver is spot-on, too.

I realize the chain is only as strong as the weak link, and that may be speakers now. But due to the fact I'm going to need learn lots more, I'm going to just listen and enjoy.

I remember looking at these higher-end units at the Hi-Fi store back in the day. I learned this unit retailed for $600-ish in '79, which would be well north of $2k nowadays. Unobtainable then. 40 years later, at cents on the dollar? Sure.

Did I do the right thing? Time will tell.

Sure is fun! Photo taken before I tidied things up.

View attachment 1358101
You did the right thing. How could it be wrong if your looking at and listening to that CR-1040. Speakers are the voice but the receiver is the heart, and the Yamaha's are elegant muscle's. enjoy it and add a great pair of speakers for shiznit's and giggles. You will be transported. looks like you might have the same sickness as some of the rest of us.. too bad :).

First, may I say what a terrific site this place is! I'm "Medicare card" age, have been around motorcycle and firearm forums for years, and know how rowdy things can get. Since even before I signed on here, I've done some serious reading/looking, and found this place to be terrific.

I'm blessed. I've been around loud machinery all my adult working life, and also screaming guitars, and motorcycles for about that long, too, and I still have darned decent hearing. Now, what brought me here was happenstance. I'm a hobbyist woodworker, and I was asked by an old classmate friend of mine, thru a FB connection, if I would take on a cabinet restoration of an old Phillips 1950's era console record player radio setup. This had been my friends' hobby for years, and as he was dying of stage IV cancer, he couldn't finish it. As a result, I spent some pleasant afternoons with him listening to, and marveling at his massive vintage audio system(s). Bruce was an audiophile, indeed.

Of course, this brought back memories of my system I had in '77, based on a Yahama CR-420, and unknown "everything else". No idea what happened to all that stuff... I sold it, I guess. Too many moves, too much life between now, and then.

Sorry for the novel. Anyway, I was given some components around 2002 by my grown daughter, having acquired it from some boyfriend. She was moving, and dumped it with me. I was grateful, and hooked it up in my cave/garage/woodworking shop, for listening to CD's and ballgames. Unrelated, my son has started to listen to vinyl, and I got the bug. Again.

I thought I'd start looking around for a modest system, and got the go-ahead for this from the boss. Then I got to taking a fresh look at the sawdust covered stuff in the garage. Danged if I didn't have a modest set of components already... I picked up a Technics turntable w/ new belt and cartridge, and I'm in business.

So, here's my modest little system. I'm having an absolute ball with this. I now have a listening chair, and I'm pleased with the overall audio quality.

View attachment 1345282
Kenwood JL-620W speakers.
Technics SL-BD22 TT
Kenwood KR-A3070 rec.
Pioneer CT-W404R dual deck
Magnavox 6 disc CD player
Enjoy it Harley Fan. Sitting back and listening is the endgame. I'm sure your system sounds great.

I HAVE to share this here, as this thread (akin to Dear Diary) is still going, and that I don't think I have the chops yet on this site to put this in the Yamaha area.

I was poking around the vintage components shop where I got the CR-1040 and the turntable, my interest is upgrading my speakers, the next logical step in upgrading this system. Mind you, I'm still delighted in the big receiver/amp, and I sometimes wonder if the existing Kenwood 3-ways I have (What I call "department store" speakers) are good enough. Of course they aren't. o_O

And there it sat. A beautiful Yamaha KC-1000 cassette deck, in pristine shape. The tech filled me in... it looked like it had rarely been used. He put new belts in it, checked all functions, and hit all areas with Deoxit. He fired it, digging out a Supertramp cassette. So, I said something brilliant, like, "Please! Take my money!"

Look- I need a cassette deck like I need adult-onset Type II diabetes. But here it is. I probably would have bought it if it didn't work! It is a 41 year old beauty, and it mates with the receiver beautifully.

20190307_202434_resized (002).jpg

Culling from some rusty knowledge when I used to record and edit on a deck 40 years ago, I dug out my only Maxel UDXL-II tape, and recorded some stuff off the local college radio, then soaked some vintage Robin Trower on it. Then to some vinyl, just to see what's what. I was blown away by what I'd done on playback.

I used to be really into cassette recording, editing, and such. This was fun. Sounded fantastic! I'm amazed.

Practical use? Well, sort of... I can record and edit some of my vinyl and CD's for playback in the garage, where I banished the department store Kenwood to.

I've been feverishly trying to get up to speed about all things tape today. I've learned that this TOTL rig cost $650 ($2,509 in 2019 dollars) and there were only 350 made in '78 & '79. Jeez. Anybody contemplating dropping that coin would just leap to Nakamichi, I suppose. But I can say it's gorgeous, after some study. The cassette door is on an elegant track, and when you load a tape, it works in a motion best described as the motion a Mercedes windshield wiper travels. The piano keys are metal, and their stops are cushioned. There are controls on it I have yet to glean. And I've been unsuccessful finding a manual download for it so far.

But really! It is a VINTAGE MECHANICAL DEVICE and I'll play hell getting it serviced, should it need it down the road.

It was an impulse buy, and it was stupid-cheap, it's beautiful, and it performs unbelievably (to my 66 year old ears)

I'm a happy camper!

:rockon:

Last edited:
I HAVE to share this here, as this thread (akin to Dear Diary) is still going, and that I don't think I have the chops yet on this site to put this in the Yamaha area.

I was poking around the vintage components shop where I got the CR-1040 and the turntable, my interest is upgrading my speakers, the next logical step in upgrading this system. Mind you, I'm still delighted in the big receiver/amp, and I sometimes wonder if the existing Kenwood 3-ways I have (What I call "department store" speakers) are good enough. Of course they aren't. o_O

And there it sat. A beautiful Yamaha KC-1000 cassette deck, in pristine shape. The tech filled me in... it looked like it had rarely been used. He put new belts in it, checked all functions, and hit all areas with Deoxit. He fired it, digging out a Supertramp cassette. So, I said something brilliant, like, "Please! Take my money!"

Look- I need a cassette deck like I need adult-onset Type II diabetes. But here it is. I probably would have bought it if it didn't work! It is a 41 year old beauty, and it mates with the receiver beautifully.

View attachment 1442933

Culling from some rusty knowledge when I used to record and edit on a deck 40 years ago, I dug out my only Maxel UDXL-II tape, and recorded some stuff off the local college radio, then soaked some vintage Robin Trower on it. Then to some vinyl, just to see what's what. I was blown away by what I'd done on playback.

I used to be really into cassette recording, editing, and such. This was fun. Sounded fantastic! I'm amazed.

Practical use? Well, sort of... I can record and edit some of my vinyl and CD's for playback in the garage, where I banished the department store Kenwood to.

I've been feverishly trying to get up to speed about all things tape today. I've learned that this TOTL rig cost $650 ($2,509 in 2019 dollars) and there were only 350 made in '78 & '79. Jeez. Anybody contemplating dropping that coin would just leap to Nakamichi, I suppose. But I can say it's gorgeous, after some study. The cassette door is on an elegant track, and when you load a tape, it works in a motion best described as the motion a Mercedes windshield wiper travels. The piano keys are metal, and their stops are cushioned. There are controls on it I have yet to glean. And I've been unsuccessful finding a manual download for it so far.

But really! It is a VINTAGE MECHANICAL DEVICE and I'll play hell getting it serviced, should it need it down the road.

It was an impulse buy, and it was stupid-cheap, it's beautiful, and it performs unbelievably (to my 66 year old ears)

I'm a happy camper!

:rockon:
Wow, sounds like your loving the cassette world. When you say "only 350 made" are you referring to the tape deck? that CR-1040 is a great looking receiver with plenty of power. It, and the little brothers in the CR-x40 line, get hot however and are difficult to find parts for so give it some air and don't over work yours. The 1040 is one of the few vintage Yammie's that i dont have but there is time (i hope). The CR-840 is also a nice looking unit with just enough power. Listening to one right now. The Natural Sound is sweet.

Wow, sounds like your loving the cassette world. When you say "only 350 made" are you referring to the tape deck? that CR-1040 is a great looking receiver with plenty of power. It, and the little brothers in the CR-x40 line, get hot however and are difficult to find parts for so give it some air and don't over work yours. The 1040 is one of the few vintage Yammie's that i dont have but there is time (i hope). The CR-840 is also a nice looking unit with just enough power. Listening to one right now. The Natural Sound is sweet.

Thank you, mymonkey!

I am, indeed, referring to the production numbers on the KC-1000 deck, from what little I could find out on my "click-around". This was apparently TOTL at the time, from the four decks Yamaha made at the time. Like I posted above, I was really poking around in this shop for a speaker update, and had little need of a cassette deck, but when this pristine, beautiful and functional one got in front of me, I brought it home.

With respect to the CR-1040 receiver/amp, my eyes are wide open, and I can say this fine unit will not be over-worked. My bride let me make some changes to our modest-sized living room, thus providing me a listening chair to enjoy it. From looking at my output levels, even when I turn it "up", I rarely get into more that 1/8 of its 80WPC. And, from my reading/learning on this site, I learned to try things, like TDC neutral positions on treble, presence and bass controls, being equally stunned at the wonderful sounds and ashamed of not realizing this in the first place. I also re-acquainted myself with Yamaha's loudness feature, same as my old CR-420 I owned in the '70's.

I'm having an absolute ball with this, and with some re-buying vinyl as I go. Mentioned above, my goal is a speaker upgrade. When I get serious, I'll post about this in the appropriate spot here. But it'll wait- I'm on a budget, and with a 18 year old Harley scattered all over the garage, with spring coming, she's taking most of my cash.

:dunno:

Well, I picked up a Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. I really enjoy these.

20190908_154306_resized[1500].jpg

Thinking I'd do some sort of bracket or hanger, I rummaged around in the garage/shop for some scraps, made a quick sketch and put this together today.

The block is a 2-1/8" piece of spalted wormy maple, and the base is a scrap of walnut.

20190908_154333_resized[1499].jpg

20190908_154424_resized[1498].jpg

Nice gear but my eyes were immediately drawn to the table. Many nice G&G design elements,the tenons,the dark plugs and the ‘cloud lifts’.
Replace that lamp with something copper and mica. The table deserves it!
Enjoy

DOBIEGUY, this reply is a calendar year late. I appreciated the compliment on the table and I took your suggestion to heart on the Arts & Crafts influenced lamp with mica as a shade. I built this small desk lamp and plugged it in just this AM. Actually, I did not design this lamp, but obtained a build plan from Wood Magazine. My son, a woodworker too, gave me a gorgeous light walnut live edge plank and I harvested the material from it.

20191117_083106_resized[1632].jpg

Note- I WILL replace the existing speakers soon. These are what I call "department store" speakers and are quite adequate until I can match the Yamaha with something better.

Harley
Outstanding design and craftsmanship on the lamp. The shade looks like it is supported on arms.
If I might suggest, rework the bulb sockets so they’re tucked under the shade and use lower wattage clear bulbs.
( Or an inline dimmer) You want to eliminate that hot spot and highlight that warm glow.
Here is an example:

27BA0076-D14B-4126-AFF9-AF995D7606A9.jpeg

If I might suggest, rework the bulb sockets so they’re tucked under the shade and use lower wattage clear bulbs.
( Or an inline dimmer) You want to eliminate that hot spot and highlight that warm glow.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Both excellent suggestions. The sockets are on gooseneck tubes and I think I can tilt them. The bulbs are 40w LED's- all I had- and I'll look for some 15's.

Well, as I'm treating this thread as a "dear diary", I'll show you my latest updates. I FINALLY gave the marginal speakers the heave-ho, in favor of these German Canton Karat 940's.

I know little about the Cantons, and on the recommendation of one I trust, bought these sight unseen (and unheard)

I can tell you this- the cabinetry is outstanding, they weigh a TON, and I'm over the moon with how they sound. They play real nice with the Yamaha.

Now these are technically bookshelfs, and I wanted to get them off the floor. The woodworking gene kicked in, and in these days of 'Rona 19 sheltering in place, I dug through what I had. Here's what I came up with. The breadboard red oak runners and stretcher were to match the table, and the pillar riser was a chunk of wormy spalted maple that would grudgingly take stain. The upper horizontal platform was scrounged from a junk pine snack tray. It's stained with Verathane Gunstock, the same as what I used on the table 8 years previous.

I'm in front of them right now.
20200412_090533_resized[2259].jpg
20200412_090414_resized[2260].jpg

Well, as I'm treating this thread as a "dear diary", I'll show you my latest updates. I FINALLY gave the marginal speakers the heave-ho, in favor of these German Canton Karat 940's.

I know little about the Cantons, and on the recommendation of one I trust, bought these sight unseen (and unheard)

I can tell you this- the cabinetry is outstanding, they weigh a TON, and I'm over the moon with how they sound. They play real nice with the Yamaha.

Now these are technically bookshelfs, and I wanted to get them off the floor. The woodworking gene kicked in, and in these days of 'Rona 19 sheltering in place, I dug through what I had. Here's what I came up with. The breadboard red oak runners and stretcher were to match the table, and the pillar riser was a chunk of wormy spalted maple that would grudgingly take stain. The upper horizontal platform was scrounged from a junk pine snack tray. It's stained with Verathane Gunstock, the same as what I used on the table 8 years previous.

View attachment 1828084
View attachment 1828085

I've never heard a Canton I didn't like, outstanding German engineering and craftsmanship.

If ever looking for some small speakers a la Minimus 7's the Canton Plus S is everything the RS speaker wishes it was. I have a dozen of the little RS speakers and several of the small Cantons, believe me there's no contest.

View attachment 1828084
View attachment 1828085
Cantons are great! I just got a pair myself, albeit brand new.

Back
Top Bottom