Nikon's Z Series Mirrorless Cameras

Damn. That Sony kit is a big lens for a little camera!

Yeah, that's why I got the little 35mm. Working good so far.

iJqcYfIYMgrI3yp2N6DJahjec7YqpMGTfOKBroJq5RSgiaVINxfuVXV7uKh3g5pCY8WEibCcOti_oqg7E2j3BNnNVHH5t3QV9M5IljiGKw9J2v4FAvaIl8WBnD40GcMn69HMnObsLMBIMh9y_GCJ8g5F6FwRGh7vSal8SAGncqWq1AIX6k2swstAHE9AGxEJAzYy8WUwsbw_nBxM1Zq0LMOlD22DL-Q5V6-NDGgtofNhXxyWOg0qVTmWBwt4aXFBg5ztqhCVUO7lgzyw5R0zd8j9hByT6e98cs5ev7PFbIzSxIux7vtmU1Ts5z0L01f3En5qj8X3ucfSk6v2sRxtPP64adlYwBlTWNPXYuBneJ1eLCxJcNb1p5bTypSfBbRCQyqfFoy0OBRMJqeFoauHCt6iLlzQT76Qvh4SWxEyWvF7pNjObQpX0oqlrDDDDsjxoJER1XJXIg2VScC64Quqogy3GdBj8Leku2AWqJmvFw8lBAzonJJ-ELva_Sr_KVRDG4yR0mTVjjzMEvecU78eZhjHvqBeRAwBIP6gW0MUGbmU70uk9g7P4QqVlg_RngBlhoFeskUJci97Z2ioJqFUVWrorN9nj3NSWMwVONgrqb0Dh2kGYizC_Tklsdk0yW-ayEN1YEQBph8obfoG_IBJ3xvK=w1250-h834-no

I grabbed a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 for my Sony A7RIII. It is my first venture into "native" glass, so I now have the issue of having to keep up with which Canon lens has my metabones adapter. I also need a new wide angle lens, so I am deciding on whether to be cheap and get the Canon 17-40mm, which I had and broke it, or a Sony 16-35 f4. I am on the fence right now, but I am leaning toward the Sony, just so it is one less lens to have to adapt.

I will probably wait for Tamron to come out with a 70-200mm before changing out Canon's version.

I grabbed a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 for my Sony A7RIII. It is my first venture into "native" glass, so I now have the issue of having to keep up with which Canon lens has my metabones adapter. I also need a new wide angle lens, so I am deciding on whether to be cheap and get the Canon 17-40mm, which I had and broke it, or a Sony 16-35 f4. I am on the fence right now, but I am leaning toward the Sony, just so it is one less lens to have to adapt.

I will probably wait for Tamron to come out with a 70-200mm before changing out Canon's version.

I suggest you not cheap out with a Canon and an adapter. A native Sony mount lens will be better in the long run.

I have had only middling success with a Sigma adapter and a Canon lens. It searches way too much to find focus.

FWIW, one of my colleagues has tried out both of the Nikon mirrorless cameras. He HATES both of them. He can't wait to return them when done with the testing period.

Another colleague told his employer DO NOT BUY the cameras after he was done a trial period.

Yet another colleague actually used his own money to buy one. He likes it but does not see it replacing his mirror cameras.

Of course, everybody has different needs and desires. I suggest renting the camera and lenses you would want before going out and spending your money.

FWIW, one of my colleagues has tried out both of the Nikon mirrorless cameras. He HATES both of them. He can't wait to return them when done with the testing period.

Another colleague told his employer DO NOT BUY the cameras after he was done a trial period.

Yet another colleague actually used his own money to buy one. He likes it but does not see it replacing his mirror cameras.

Of course, everybody has different needs and desires. I suggest renting the camera and lenses you would want before going out and spending your money.

What doesn't he like about it?

The Sony 16-35 f/4 lens is a nice lens. If you want insane sharpness and performance the 16-35 f/2.8 GM is the ultimate lens. Read the many reviews. It is pricey, but it will capture things you've never imagined. I already had the 4 Sony lenses, mentioned in this recent video. I got the older Sony/Zeiss lenses used at very good prices. This guy is very knowledgeable has some great tutorials for the A7R3. Highly recommended for Sony users.

Canon, Nikon and others are playing catch up. They're 2-3 years behind, especially with available lenses.

Last edited:
I suggest you not cheap out with a Canon and an adapter. A native Sony mount lens will be better in the long run.

I have had only middling success with a Sigma adapter and a Canon lens. It searches way too much to find focus.
I am leaning toward the Sony, but we will see how it goes.

The Sony 16-35 f/4 lens is a nice lens. If you want insane sharpness and performance the 16-35 f/2.8 GM is the ultimate lens. Read the many reviews. It is pricey, but it will capture things you've never imagined. I already had the 4 Sony lenses, mentioned in this recent video. I got the older Sony/Zeiss lenses used at very good prices. This guy is very knowledgeable has some great tutorials for the A7R3. Highly recommended for Sony users.

Canon, Nikon and others are playing catch up. They're 2-3 years behind, especially with available lenses.

I will take a look and subscribe when I get a chance. I have no doubt that the f2.8 is superior. I just don't know that it is worth the extra money for my particular needs. There are pros getting by with the f4, so I am leaning that direction. I will still have to deal with adapters on my other lenses, but I will look into trading some of them out as Tamron increases their line up.

I will take a look and subscribe when I get a chance. I have no doubt that the f2.8 is superior. I just don't know that it is worth the extra money for my particular needs. There are pros getting by with the f4, so I am leaning that direction. I will still have to deal with adapters on my other lenses, but I will look into trading some of them out as Tamron increases their line up.
The native Sony lenses are pricey, but so far the ones I got have been quite impressive. The older lenses you can often find used at great prices. Sony's new system has really opened up a new world for me. I love it!

The best lenses will really make the A7Riii shine!

The native Sony lenses are pricey, but so far the ones I got have been quite impressive. The older lenses you can often find used at great prices. Sony's new system has really opened up a new world for me. I love it!

The best lenses will really make the A7Riii shine!
I plan to use this Tamron most of the time. It should change things for me just based on weight and the fact that I mainly used 70-200 or even 100-400 most of the time on the Canon. This will require me to get more up close and personal if nothing else. :D

Last year, I bought it in January with the intention of doing more video for my blog, then my long term girlfriend and I broke up and it changed my 2018 lifestyle. Now that everything is a bit more normal, I hope to shoot/video a lot more in 2019. #crossfingers

Thanks for the link to the video.

I have a 14-24 F/2.8 Sigma ART lens, and I can't wait to sell it off in favor of the upcoming F4 Z mount ultrawide. I don't need the 2.8 and it's just so big and heavy. And it has issues with lens flare and ghosting due to the huge front element.

I have a 14-24 F/2.8 Sigma ART lens, and I can't wait to sell it off in favor of the upcoming F4 Z mount ultrawide. I don't need the 2.8 and it's just so big and heavy. And it has issues with lens flare and ghosting due to the huge front element.
I hadn't heard about the lens flare and ghosting, but I do know that it weighs more. I would prefer keeping the system light just because this is one of the reasons I went with mirrorless over going with a new Canon DSLR. Also, the price is easier to justify. I am glad I have the f2.8 on the Tamron since they were able to keep the weight down. I am hoping they can do the same with a 70-200 down the road.

As I mentioned above, I haven't used the camera a lot this year, but if the Canon lenses are frustrating on the Sony, I will eventually just change them all out except maybe the 100-400mm which I love.

The Sony 100-400 is a very good lens. Much better on a Sony body than the Canon equivalent. (I think it is lighter too.)

I plan to use this Tamron most of the time. It should change things for me just based on weight and the fact that I mainly used 70-200 or even 100-400 most of the time on the Canon. This will require me to get more up close and personal if nothing else. :D

Last year, I bought it in January with the intention of doing more video for my blog, then my long term girlfriend and I broke up and it changed my 2018 lifestyle. Now that everything is a bit more normal, I hope to shoot/video a lot more in 2019. #crossfingers

Thanks for the link to the video.
I got the smaller lenses for travel and street photography. More of which, I hopefully will be doing. I don't shoot videos. The 1st video was a week ago, to capture the insane cacophony of sounds of the birds in that Christmas Banyan Tree.

This guy's video are really well made and filled with tons of info. Making it long, but well worth it.

Good luck!

The Sony 100-400 is a very good lens. Much better on a Sony body than the Canon equivalent. (I think it is lighter too.)
I think the Sony may be slightly heavier. I have to use the Canon more with the Sony body, but I expect that I will be fine with it until I update every other lens. I think Metabones has an update for the adapter to make it autofocus better and I think Sony has an update coming that also helps.

I was watching some comparisons from Tony Northrup comparing the 16-35 f4s and the Canon was sharper than the Sony even with the adapter. I don't think there is a huge penalty other than autofocus, which is improving, and the pain of having to deal with adapters. If I have one lens I use a lot with an adapter, it will essentially just be part of the lens.

I got the smaller lenses for travel and street photography. More of which, I hopefully will be doing. I don't shoot videos. The 1st video was a week ago, to capture the insane cacophony of sounds of the birds in that Christmas Banyan Tree.

This guy's video are really well made and filled with tons of info. Making it long, but well worth it.

Good luck!

LOL I was just talking about him. I like his comparisons. I have not seen the tutorial so thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom