Nikon's Z Series Mirrorless Cameras

I got the smaller lenses for travel and street photography. More of which, I hopefully will be doing. I don't shoot videos. The 1st video was a week ago, to capture the insane cacophony of sounds of the birds in that Christmas Banyan Tree.

This guy's video are really well made and filled with tons of info. Making it long, but well worth it.

Good luck!

LOL I was just talking about him. I like his comparisons. I have not seen the tutorial so thanks for the link.

Oh boy well since you brought him up - yes his reviews are good and his tutorial videos are top notch. But he does have some stuff out there that's not so good - specifically videos where he talks about findings from unscientific internet polls like they have any statistical validity at all. The one he did about memory card failure rate is a special level of BS.

I have a 14-24 F/2.8 Sigma ART lens, and I can't wait to sell it off in favor of the upcoming F4 Z mount ultrawide. I don't need the 2.8 and it's just so big and heavy. And it has issues with lens flare and ghosting due to the huge front element.
I bet the coming new native Z mount lenses will be incredible.

I like fast lenses and compact light-weight lenses. Sometimes a combination that's hard to find and at a good price. I almost sold the 55mm, f/1.8 to fund the 24mm, f/1.4 GM. But the latter is much bigger and costly.

Oh boy well since you brought him up - yes his reviews are good and his tutorial videos are top notch. But he does have some stuff out there that's not so good - specifically videos where he talks about findings from unscientific internet polls like they have any statistical validity at all. The one he did about memory card failure rate is a special level of BS.
lol... that particular video helped me skip reading and figuring out the manual. There are a lot of reviewers out there. Some will have you pulling teeth. You just need to find the good ones and glean the info you need.

Last edited:
lol... that particular video helped me skip reading and figuring out the manual. There are a lot of reviewers out there. Some will have you pulling teeth. You just need to find the good ones and glean the info you need.

How did it help you figure out the manual??

How did it help you figure out the manual??

"helped me skip reading and figuring out the manual" That was poorly worded. It helped me skip figuring out the manual. Often the manuals can be a little technical and obtuse. It's easier for me when some one explains it to me in plain English.

I have the Canon 100-400 that weighs 1380g.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_100-400_4p5-5p6_is

I have to look into the z mount. I haven’t heard about it and have no idea what that is.

As for Tony Northrup, I haven’t seen the videos where he talks about polls. I have seen a few of his comparison videos and they are good. Of course, it is mainly his opinion, so I like a few others for comparisons.

Last edited:
It's the new mount for the Nikon mirrorless cameras. It has the largest diameter and shortest distance of any of the FF mounts. Should be an advantage for wide to normal and ultra fast lenses.
Thanks for the info!

The Sony 16-35 f/4 lens is a nice lens. If you want insane sharpness and performance the 16-35 f/2.8 GM is the ultimate lens. Read the many reviews. It is pricey, but it will capture things you've never imagined. I already had the 4 Sony lenses, mentioned in this recent video. I got the older Sony/Zeiss lenses used at very good prices. This guy is very knowledgeable has some great tutorials for the A7R3. Highly recommended for Sony users.

Canon, Nikon and others are playing catch up. They're 2-3 years behind, especially with available lenses.

I watched this last night. Very interesting. Though, I wonder what he gets for free and what he actually spends his money on and whether the 10 would be different if he had to buy all of them? Ten is more than most would carry at one time, so I am betting he doesn't typically carry two 85mms. I would like to see his top 5.

Thanks for the info!

I watched this last night. Very interesting. Though, I wonder what he gets for free and what he actually spends his money on and whether the 10 would be different if he had to buy all of them? Ten is more than most would carry at one time, so I am betting he doesn't typically carry two 85mms. I would like to see his top 5.

I had to pay for mine and he has 4 that I have. I did do a lot of research. The lenses I have are specific for my needs.

Which 4 do you have?
Sony/Zeiss 35mm, f/2.8
Sony/Zeiss 55mm, f/1.8
Sony 16-35mm GM, f/2.8
Sony 24-105mm G, f/4

My friend is looking to get an Alpha, so I've been trying to help him out. He was considering the 24-70mm GM, f/2.8. I told him it's bigger than 16-35. The 24-105 is general lens that is super good.

IMG_1100sm.jpg IMG_1101.jpg

Sony/Zeiss 35mm, f/2.8
Sony/Zeiss 55mm, f/1.8
Sony 16-35mm GM, f/2.8
Sony 24-105mm G, f/4

My friend is looking to get an Alpha, so I've been trying to help him out. He was considering the 24-70mm GM, f/2.8. I told him it's bigger than 16-35. The 24-105 is general lens that is super good.

View attachment 1363580 View attachment 1363582
Thanks for the info!

I thought about the 24-105, but went with the Tamron 28-75mm for the light weight and faster aperture. I have a 24-105 f4 Canon and always wished it was faster because it was a good length for indoor pics. Also, since the Tamron is so lightweight, it will be the lens on my camera most of the time. It wasn’t an easy choice though. The longer range of 24-105mm means less lens changes.

I will get some wide angle lens next. Still debating on which one. Probably the 16-35 f4 since I shoot most landscapes at at least f8 anyway. Then, I may get the nifty 50 or 55 for darker indoor/outdoor pics.

I am hoping Tamron comes out with an inexpensive 70-200 and I will be pretty much set for the time being. Though, I will have a better idea of what works for me if I start photographing more in 2019.

It looks like you have a very nice kit already for your needs. My future purchases may change if the new firmware updates to the camera and metabones adapter make a big difference with autofocus. The 70-200 f4 IS from Canon was my favorite lens for a long time and I could deal with the adapterif the autofocus continues to be improved. If that happens, I will invest in more primes.

Thanks for the info!

I thought about the 24-105, but went with the Tamron 28-75mm for the light weight and faster aperture. I have a 24-105 f4 Canon and always wished it was faster because it was a good length for indoor pics. Also, since the Tamron is so lightweight, it will be the lens on my camera most of the time. It wasn’t an easy choice though. The longer range of 24-105mm means less lens changes.

I will get some wide angle lens next. Still debating on which one. Probably the 16-35 f4 since I shoot most landscapes at at least f8 anyway. Then, I may get the nifty 50 or 55 for darker indoor/outdoor pics.

I am hoping Tamron comes out with an inexpensive 70-200 and I will be pretty much set for the time being. Though, I will have a better idea of what works for me if I start photographing more in 2019.

It looks like you have a very nice kit already for your needs. My future purchases may change if the new firmware updates to the camera and metabones adapter make a big difference with autofocus. The 70-200 f4 IS from Canon was my favorite lens for a long time and I could deal with the adapterif the autofocus continues to be improved. If that happens, I will invest in more primes.

What’s your feelings on the Tamron being only 28mm wide? I’ve found once you use a lens that goes to 24 it’s hard going back to 28. And with that 24 available I don’t use the ultra wide nearly as much.

Thanks for the info!

I bought the Sony 24-70 f/4 on sale and returned it for the 24-105 G, f/4, unused. It was my first Sony lens, before I started researching and pouring over reviews. The lens are expensive and I'm making sure I get the best for the money. My friend is/was considering the 24-70 f/2.8 GM because of the faster aperture. I've posted the some test, full-sized, unprocessed/processed images, low light at f/2.8 and f/4, auto ISO with the 16-35 GM. For most cases, unless if I'm not eye ballin pixels, I can't tell between f/2.8 and /f4. Seeing is believing. If you want to see for yourself, let me know. Most of the images are low light, pushing the capabilities off both camera and lens.

I can highly recommend the Sony/Zeiss 35mm, f/2.8 and 55mm, f/1.8. You can get used ones for a decent price.

I was saving for a Nikon D850. Then Sony happened. :)

What’s your feelings on the Tamron being only 28mm wide? I’ve found once you use a lens that goes to 24 it’s hard going back to 28. And with that 24 available I don’t use the ultra wide nearly as much.
I will usually just switch to an ultrawide when I need it. The lower weight and the wider aperture are worth the trade off for my needs. Most of the time, I can take a couple steps back if I need it and don't have another lens with me.

One reason I switched to Sony was to lower the weight of my gear. It is why the Tamron was the first lens I purchased.

I've been using mine more and am still very impressed with it. The image quality is just phenomenal.

And big news out of CES - 14-30mm F4 lens announced! And we will be getting eye AF, Cfast card support, and RAW video recording to Atomos devices. Pretty cool. I'm especially curious to see how well the Eye AF works.

Back
Top Bottom