Nivico Turntable??

tiga

I was at a moving sale today and the gentleman was selling a Nivico (don't remember seeing a model #) turntable along with a Sansui 350 for $75. Never heard of Nivico before so I passed. Was that a mistake? Anyone know anything about Nivoco TT's?

Nivico was the predecessor name for JVC, IIRC. I ran into an Nivico receiver and did an AK search and found a little about them. Their stuff was decent quality but not TOTL.

Victor Japan used Nivico and Delmonico as trade names in the US before switching to JVC. Some units were branded with both JVC and Nivico or Delmonico during the changeover period - I have a rather unusual tube table radio with an FM multiplex circuit that has both JVC and Delmonico (I think) badges.

The name "Nivico" is a contracted form of "Nippon Victor Company", where "Nippon" means Japan. It was a domestic brand name (although some was exported, too) used by Japan Victor Company, which originally was a a Japanese subsidiary of the American Victor Talking Machine Company, makers of the original Victrola. Through a somewhat convoluted history of takeovers and name changes, basically the same company is now best known as JVC, which stands for "Japan Victor Company".

The Nivico turntables I've seen have ranged from highly decorative but mediocre-quality stuff --a bit like the earlier and better Crosley stuff, but with a very Japanese flavor to the designs-- to quite decent quality. Some of the silver-fronted Nivico receivers and amps are decent. Without knowing specifically what model you passed up on, I can't comment, but the odds lean towards it not being anything you should kick yourself about.

OF course, Japanese domestic-market-only stuff from the heyday of the late seventies and into the eighties was often the best in the world at that time, but most of the Nivicos date from an earlier period, when postwar Japan's economy was not so wealthy, and the domestic stuff was not particularly great. It's mostly mass-market stuff; think Sears Roebuck instead of Nieman Marcus. Usually things with the Victor label are a bit later, and much better than things with the Nivico label. That said, if you want something with a really funky retro/vintage look (again, think of Crosley at its very best) with a Japanese feel to it, you'll find it hard to beat the styling of some of the old Nivico stuff. But audiophile? Well, it isn't quite up to that standard; mostly I'd buy it just for decoration. And the more ordinary Nivico stuff? I'd pass on it, almost always.

Ni(ppon)Vi(ctor)Co(mpany) sold a lot of stuff that was generally high quality. They did seem to focus a lot on cosoles and table radios. They did though make some audiophile stuff. One turntable that was very much a totl manual belt drive, and simillar in build and overall quality to stuff Sansui was sending over. I have one, and would never get rid of it. So if it was that one, you may have made a mistake.

The 5000 series receivers and speakers were very nice, and pretty great for their day.

My brother brought a Nivico receiver home when he returned from the Vietnam war.
As I recall, it wasn't bad.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I should have tried to grab a model # off of it. I didn't feel like a very good build quality when I was looking it over. I did sort of want the 350 receiver but I thought 75 was too much and he didn't seem to want to sell them separately. I think the sale is going on tomorrow so I may stop back.

He also had a sweet Pioneer TT and a Sansui 4000 but he would only sell them as a package deal along with a Sansui reverb unit - two Teac reel-to-reels and 2 pair of Sansui SP-1000 speakers. All for a grand total of $1500. :sigh:

Maybe tomorrow he'll have a change of heart.

I have a Victor home-market (Japanese FM band) tube receiver that is quite nice, outside of a weird tracking problem with the volume pots.

The turntable I have is a 5240. There are a couple of nice pics of one over at the Vinyl engine gallery. I think it is pretty nice, and simillar quality as the Sansui machines from that period.

Sounds like the seller doesn't need to sell though, with those prices. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom