Official AK fishing thread

Boat 3.jpg big grouper.jpg I used to love fishing for bluegills until I caught my first tarpon. I had a 21' SeaCat power catamaran named "Blue Horizon" from the James Taylor song, but I had to give it up because everything needing repair on a boat requires that you kneel. My knees were so arthritic and destroyed internally, that when I had to fix anything. I was in tears before I was done. I sure used to have fun before the knee problems kicked in. My favorite thing to do was to spearfish for grouper in the Gulf of Mexico near Tampa.

I let most everything go, all bass are released. We have the invasive species Snakeheads in the Potomac River near Washington, DC. They are mean as hell, they thrash on the line when caught. The law says you have to kill them. They are the best tasting fresh water fish this side of Walleye. Nice texture as well. So when you catch them it's a bonus, great sport and great eating.
The Bass are some pretty fish. Here's another one I snapped a pic of in the kayak. I dragged it out of the weeds, also on a purple worm. fishnov16-2.jpg

F015029A-1015-4913-922B-5B8934953AE6.jpeg
decent bass, one of a few that I caught each morning during a recent stay in the Adirondacks. Kinda tough to take pics of fish when you are alone in a canoe. They love to hit buzzbaits around weedbeds. I actually file the barb off of the single hook to make release easier. I rarely lose a fish.

I picked up some new gear this summer and fall and started with a good rod and a centerpin reel.
The reel is a Milner Talisman and the rod is a Sage/Babcock GSH 3113MB

20171015_090227.jpg
20171015_090205.jpg
20171015_090216.jpg

Also picked up some G4's and a pair of G3 boots. Got a very manly onesie for half price.

20171015_090441.jpg 20171015_090837.jpg

The Talisman looks good next to my stalwart Abu.

20171015_090731.jpg

Last edited:
The shad come up the river here to spawn this time of year. Nothing fights in their weight class like these things. They will jump 2 feet out of the water and then dive straight down. Using ultralight gear you think every fish is going to break your rod or reel. I land about one out of three, but it doesn't matter, they go back in the drink anyway. This is a hickory shad, they get to be about 20". The American, or White Shad, get to be 30". My daughter caught a 28" White many years ago, when she was about 9 or 10. A favorite fishing memory.

shadhickory.jpg

Back
Top Bottom